Connect with us

Sports

F1 Q&A: Max Verstappen and racing in other series, Antonelli at Mercedes, V8 engines and the effect of drivers’ height and weight

Published

on

This question essentially centres on the push by FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem to return Formula 1 to a set of engine regulations that are pretty much the same as the era from 2010-13.

We delved into this topic extensively last week. There’s a link to that article below.

Now, as to the specific question, yes, 2013 was pretty boring, or at least the second half of it was.

The season started relatively competitively – Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel won four of the first 10 grands prix, but Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso, Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen and Mercedes drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton all won over that period.

But a change to the specification of tyres following a series of blow-outs at the British Grand Prix led to Red Bull dominating and Vettel won the last nine races in a row to clinch a fourth consecutive world title.

The last years of the V8 era, once refuelling was banned at the end of 2009, fluctuated between intensely competitive and, er, not.

The 2010 and 2012 seasons had gripping title fights. In 2010 there were five drivers in the running until the penultimate race, and four mathematically at the last one.

That was the year Ferrari dropped the ball on strategy in Abu Dhabi and threw away the title, letting Red Bull and Vettel in to win their first title.

In 2012, there were seven different winners in the first seven races, and the title fight between Vettel and Alonso went to the final race again.

In 2011, as in 2013, Vettel and Red Bull dominated.

But there were a lot more factors involved in those scenarios than just engines. Tyres, for one. The relative competitiveness of the cars for another.

However, the naturally aspirated era – and especially the years from 1994-2009 when there was refuelling – was notorious for the lack of overtaking on track.

That has certainly increased this year with the new style of “yo-yo racing” brought about by the new hybrid engines.

There are so many issues wrapped up in this engine debate. Some of it may well be people harking back to the past, one they felt was more attractive than what F1 serves up today.

But there is also a cost issue, whether the essence of F1 has been polluted, noise, the changing road-car market place and on and on.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Ryan Wintle: Midfielder says Cardiff City departure ‘out of my control’

Published

on

Ryan Wintle has announced he is leaving Cardiff City due to circumstances “completely out of my control”.

The midfielder is out of contract this summer and he announced on social media that he would be leaving the club after five years, having joined as a free agent from Crewe Alexandra in June 2021.

Cardiff confirmed Wintle’s departure, saying he would “depart the club at the end of his current agreement this summer… he leaves Cardiff City Stadium with our very best wishes for the future”.

The 28-year-old, who was voted the club’s player of the year, played 46 games this campaign, scoring one goal, as the Bluebirds secured an immediate return to the Championship after one season in League One.

“I’m gutted to be writing this post, but unfortunately the time has come for me to say goodbye to Cardiff City, a decision that was completely out of my control,” Wintle said.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Chiefs’ Rashee Rice gets 30 days in jail for violating probation, will miss OTAs

Published

on

Rashee Rice #4 of the Kansas City Chiefs warms up prior to the game against the Las Vegas Raiders at Arrowhead Stadium on October 19, 2025, in Kansas City, Missouri.

Rashee Rice was suspended for six games by the NFL last season after a reckless driving incident in Dallas. David Eulitt / Getty Images

Kansas City Chiefs receiver Rashee Rice has been booked into jail after violating probation, according to Dallas County, Texas, online records.

Rice, 26, was previously sentenced to five years of deferred probation and 30 days in jail as a condition of his probation last July after pleading guilty to two third-degree felony charges relating to a 2024 highway racing car accident in Dallas. According to Dallas court logs, Rice violated his probation after he “tested positive for THC,” which is found in cannabis. The log stated Rice was arrested on Tuesday and ordered to serve a 30-day jail sentence that was previously ordered.

A Dallas County online records indicated Rice was booked into jail at 12:25 p.m. Tuesday. Dallas court records stated Rice would be released from custody on June 16, 2026.

The Chiefs had no comment on the situation Tuesday afternoon. K.C. begins organized team activities next week, with mandatory minicamp slated for June 9-11.

Tuesday’s news continues a trend of negative offseason headlines for Rice over his four years with the Chiefs.

Rice served a six-game suspension at the start of the 2025 season following his 2024 high-speed multi-vehicle car crash in Dallas. Rice was required to pay more than $115,000 in restitution to the victims.

Then, in recent months, Rice was accused of assault by the mother of his children in a Dallas County, Texas, civil lawsuit. Dacoda Jones alleged that Rice caused “severe and permanent injuries” to her between December 2023 and July 2025. Through her attorney, Ron Estefan, Jones was seeking monetary damages “over $1 million.”

Rice was not criminally charged in the matter, and the NFL decided not to punish him, saying there was “insufficient evidence to support a finding that he violated the personal conduct policy.”

A 2023 second-round pick of the Chiefs, Rice is entering the last year of his rookie contract with the team.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

IPL: Vaibhav Sooryavanshi leads Royals to victory over LSG

Published

on

India wonderkid Vaibhav Sooryavanshi struck a brilliant 93 off 38 balls as Rajasthan Royals beat Lucknow Super Giants to boost their chances of reaching the Indian Premier League play-offs.

The 15-year-old hit 10 sixes in another staggering innings with which he moved back to the top of the tournament’s run-scoring charts. Of Sooryavanshi’s 93 runs, 88 came from boundaries as he dominated the already-eliminated Super Giants.

He looked certain to score his second century of the campaign, only to mistime a shot off Mohsin Khan to Abdul Samad in the deep.

Earlier in the day, India selector Ajit Agarkar had spoken about Sooryavanshi’s omission from the national team’s one-day squad to face Afghanistan next month.

There have been growing calls for the teenager to be called up to the India white-ball sides but he has instead been named in an India A squad to tour Sri Lanka after the IPL finishes.

“We picked him for the India A team because he is young and immensely promising,” said Agarkar.

“The idea is to give these youngsters exposure. Yashasvi Jaiswal is already part of the ODI set-up as well. As impressive as Sooryavanshi has been, there are others who have performed strongly too.

“We are very excited about him and hopefully he can showcase his talent when he travels with the A team.”

The Royals slowed down once Sooryavanshi fell but Dhruv Jurel (53* off 38) ensured a victory that moves them into fourth in the table. It means a win against Mumbai Indians in their final match will seal a spot in the knockouts.

Earlier, Mitchell Marsh crunched 96 off 57 balls to continue his good form for Super Giants, putting on 109 for the first wicket with fellow Australian Josh Inglis (60 off 29).

England’s Jofra Archer was the pick of the hosts’ bowlers with 1-39, while he also ran out Rishabh Pant.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.