Connect with us

Sports

Newcastle sign full-back Amar Dedic from Benfica

Published

on

Newcastle United have completed the signing of full-back Amar Dedic from Benfica.

The Athletic reported last week that the north east club were working on a deal for the Bosnia and Herzegovina international, who featured for his country at this summer’s World Cup.

The 24-year-old has signed a five-year deal at St James’ Park which sees him reunited with Matthias Jaissle, Newcastle’s new head coach, whom he played for at both FC Liefering and Red Bull Salzburg in Austria.

“I’m really happy to add Amar to our squad,” Jaissle said on Tuesday. “He’s a player who I know really well, having worked with him from a young age in Austria and followed his career since.

“He will bring both defensive and attacking qualities to our squad, which suits the style of football that we want to play. He’s athletic, aggressive and technically very good, but also has a lot of potential to develop further.

“Amar is still young but already has a lot of valuable experience — he’s played in the Champions League and the World Cup, as well as representing huge clubs in Austria, France and Portugal. I’m really looking forward to working with him again.”

Dedic is capable of playing on either side of defence and will help plug a gaping hole in a Newcastle squad without any senior right-backs currently available with Tino Livramento still recovering from the calf problem which ruled him out of England’s World Cup squad.

Lewis Miley, the midfielder who deputised at right-back for much of last season, is also working his way back to full fitness after a broken leg suffered in May.

Dedic becomes Newcastle’s sixth summer signing and only their second over the age of 20. Goalkeepers Ewen Jaouen and Lukas Hornicek, midfielders Aladji Bamba and Sean Steur, plus winger Bazoumana Toure have already joined.


A signing for a glaring need

Analysis from Newcastle United correspondent Chris Waugh

There is genuine excitement within Newcastle about Jaissle and what he can achieve on Tyneside in the medium-to-long run, but in the immediate term he desperately requires reinforcements.

Jaissle inherited a squad which Eddie Howe, his predecessor, felt was short of experience and quality in key areas. Nowhere is that more glaring than at full-back, with Kieran Trippier, Emil Krafth and Matt Targett having departed, yet wide defensive arrivals have yet to take place.

Dedic’s lack of exposure to Europe’s top-five leagues, despite a short loan spell at Marseille last year, is a concern, but his attacking mindset and his understanding of Jaissle’s demands mean he has a decent chance of settling in quickly.

The Austrian-born defender had a difficult evening at St James’ Park as a visiting player for Benfica in the Champions League last season, when Anthony Gordon repeatedly got in behind during a 3-0 Newcastle victory, but the hope is that he will develop further back under Jaissle’s tutelage.

Getting his signing over the line is a positive step for Newcastle, though further additions, especially in midfield, are also required.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Wales’ sports minister meets with Welsh Rugby Union after fans fears

Published

on

Fychan went into further detail on meeting with the WRU on the latest edition of BBC Wales’ podcast Walescast.

She said it was a good conversation, with WRU chief executive Abi Tierney present.

“I don’t think it’d be any surprise that I’ve received a lot of correspondence from both Scarlets and Ospreys fans,” said Fychan.

“It was an opportunity for me to again reiterate the importance of the WRU properly engaging with communities.

Fychan stated the Welsh Government did not have an opinion on whether a reduction to three sides was the way forward because the WRU is a private company but added: “I was very clear in terms of this new culture and sports strategy for Wales that the future of rugby as a community game is really important as well as that professional side and that I wanted to see, as part of the proposals that they have, how are they addressing those historic concerns?”

Fychan said the WRU gave her some “positive news in terms of what’s been happening with women’s rugby here in Wales”.

“That was positive to hear that especially because of what happened a few years ago and the concerns around that,” said Fychan.

“But clearly people in Wales, and especially those Scarlets and Ospreys fans, currently feel they’re not being listened to.

“There’s that disconnect which is I think a huge concern between the WRU and the communities that they seek to work with.

“So, it was an opportunity to say ‘please work with them’ because people are concerned about the economic impact of the closure of either club as well.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Is Haaland worth the £15.5m price tag on FPL?

Published

on

FPL expert Gianni Buttice weighs up whether Manchester City striker Erling Haaland is worth his £15.5m price tag on the game.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho told Vinicius Jr it was not worth leaving Spanish club

Published

on

Jose Mourinho told Vinicius Jr it was “not worth” leaving Real Madrid as he successfully persuaded the Brazilian to remain at the club.

The 26-year-old had entered the final 12 months of his contract at the Bernabeu, meaning he would have been able to leave Real for free next summer.

Premier League champions Arsenal were alerted to the possibility of landing one of the world’s top wingers as contract talks wore on but Vinicius Jr eventually committed his future to Real earlier this month by signing a six-year contract.

And Mourinho, 63, whose return to Real for a second stint in charge was confirmed in June, spoke of his part in keeping the Brazil international in the Spanish capital.

Mourinho said on Spanish TV show El Chiringuito: “Vinicius has fallen in love with Real Madrid.

“The only thing I told him was: ‘Vini, where do you want to go? You’ve only been in Brazil and you only know Real Madrid. You only understand Real Madrid when you leave. When you leave that’s when you realise what Real Madrid is. Don’t leave. It’s not worth it.’

“I think what he has felt in terms of the group’s growth, the way we’ve been working and developing, has given him a very important feeling.”

Mourinho came up against Real three times in the Champions League last season, when he was manager of Benfica.

During their second meeting – the first leg of their knockout phase play-off – Real players alleged that Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni racially abused Vinicius, resulting in the match stopping for around eight minutes.

Prestianni denied the claims and Mourinho defended his player.

Uefa later banned Prestianni for three matches, with a further three suspended, for homophobic conduct.

Mourinho addressed the incident and said Vinicius can “rely on me to be on his side”.

“Prestianni was my player. That’s it. There’s no debate. If Prestianni is my player, 20 players can come at me and I’m still with Prestianni. End of story,” he said.

“I think Vini now knows what side I am now on and knows he can look me in the eye and rely on me to be on his side.”

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.