Sports

Arsenal CEO says Ethan Nwaneri, Myles Lewis-Skelly could leave for ‘right opportunity’

Published

on

Arsenal CEO Richard Garlick says the north London side would consider selling Ethan Nwaneri and Myles Lewis-Skelly but are “not actively looking” for a move.

The futures of the 19-year-old academy graduates have been the subject of speculation, given there are expected to be departures from the Emirates before the end of the window on September 1.

Garlick said on Wednesday that Arsenal are “very, very happy” with Lewis-Skelly and he thinks Nwaneri has had a “great” preseason but “if the right opportunity came up”, transfers away from north London would not be off the table.

The CEO also said it was “only a matter of time” before Mikel Arteta signs a new contract, which he is “sure … will be resolved very shortly”.

Lewis-Skelly started and played a starring role in the Community Shield win over Manchester City, registering one assist, and The Athletic reported on August 11 he wanted to stay at the Emirates and is not exploring a move. He is likely to be pushed down the midfield pecking order, however, after the £75million ($101m) signing of Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle United.

Nwaneri, however, did not make Mikel Arteta’s matchday squad after spending the last half of the 2025-26 campaign on loan at Marseille. The Athletic reported on Tuesday that his situation was delicate, as the league champions accept his pathway could be congested.

“There’s been a lot of speculation around players,” said Garlick, per the BBC. “I can’t stop other clubs being interested. I think Myles (Lewis-Skelly) has had a fantastic end to last season and has started this one really well — we’re very, very happy with him.

“Ethan has had a great pre-season as well, and I think it’s just a case of looking at what opportunities there are that will help both of those in terms of their career moving forward. We are not actively looking at selling those homegrown players but if the right opportunity came up — right for them and the club — we’d obviously consider that.”

Lewis-Skelly signed a long-term contract with Arsenal last summer and has made 76 senior appearances since breaking into the first team during the 2024-25 season. Nwaneri has played 51 first-team games before moving to Ligue 1 on loan, where he started only three league games.

He has featured as a midfielder in each of Arsenal’s five preseason matches, scoring two goals, but Arteta last week expressed uncertainty over his future given he “needs to play football”.

Meanwhile, Garlick expressed confidence in the head coach’s future — despite his contract having only one year left on it.

“Mikel wants to be at Arsenal, we want Mikel at Arsenal,” he said. “It’s only a matter of time before we put that into a new contract. Everyone is very confident and calm. We’re just navigating a transfer window and I’m sure Mikel’s contract will be resolved very shortly.”


Will this be comforting for Arsenal fans?

Analysis by Arsenal correspondent James McNicholas

Arsenal fans will be reassured to hear Garlick echoing Arteta’s stance on a new contract for the manager — both have said that it’s effectively a matter of finding the time to sort the extension.

They’ll be reassured too that Arsenal are not “actively looking” to sell their academy products.  It’s clear, however, that Arsenal may be open to the possibility if the “right opportunity” arises. That’s largely a consequence of the regulatory environment – the sale of an academy player would be booked as pure profit.

It’s inevitable that players as gifted as Lewis-Skelly and Nwaneri will attract interest from elsewhere. With Arsenal now competing at the elite end of the sport, it’s more difficult than ever for academy talent to establish themselves.

In Lewis-Skelly’s case, he is currently making regular contributions to the first team. Nwaneri’s pathway looks more complex, which may make him more likely to depart.

>

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.