Connect with us

Sports

Falcons not feeling pressure to name starting quarterback, but clock is ticking

Published

on

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — The Atlanta Falcons are three weeks into training camp and about to head to Indianapolis for two joint practices against the Colts. And it doesn’t sound like they are any closer to naming a starting quarterback than they were when training camp began in July.

“I am very comfortable with where we are right now, and that’s kind of where I will leave it,” coach Kevin Stefanski said Monday. “We are continuing on our process, keeping the main thing the main thing, which is the practices this week.”

Tua Tagovailoa started Friday’s preseason opener and had a chance to build a lead over Michael Penix Jr. in the competition, but Tagovailoa finished 3-for-5 for 22 yards and led the offense to just one first down in two series.

“Obviously we evaluate everything that our players do, on the field, in the meeting room,” Stefanski said. “He wants to be better. Our offense wants to be better. Our coaches want to be better, but our focus will be on continuing to get ready for this season and not getting too far ahead of ourselves. We want to be where our feet are.”

Drake London breaks down film, space vs. leverage, Kevin Stefanski and more

Robert Mays

Tagovailoa described himself as “frustrated and disappointed” with his performance.

“You have to make use of every opportunity you have, and that’s not what we did,” he said. “Definitely not up to standard. I have to be better for our guys.”

Tagovailoa would like to play in Saturday’s second preseason game against the Colts, but the starters won’t play because they’ll be getting so much work during the joint practices, Stefanski said.

Penix is still being held out of 11-on-11 practice work and games while he rehabs the torn ACL he suffered in Week 11 last year. He will continue with his current practice regimen — working in individual drills and seven-on-seven work — and Stefanski and Indianapolis head coach Shane Steichen have built in time during each of the two practices to make sure Penix can participate.

There is no timetable for naming a starter, Stefanski said Monday, and that’s not the only decision the Falcons have to make at the position. With veteran Cooper Rush and undrafted free agent Jack Strand also in camp, Atlanta will have to decide by Aug. 30 whether it wants to keep two or three quarterbacks on its opening 53-man roster.

“I have been a part of doing it both ways, but I think you have to take everything into account. Can you afford the luxury of keeping those guys? Sometimes you can. Sometimes you can’t,” Stefanski said.

The Falcons haven’t decided if Rush or Strand will start Saturday’s game in Indianapolis. Either player could be put on the practice squad if he doesn’t make the 53-man roster, but other teams could claim them.

Strand was 6-of-12 for 50 yards and had one rushing touchdown in his NFL debut on Friday.

“Always room for improvement, but proud of him for his first time out there,” Stefanski said. “It’s a testament to him and what he was able to do early in camp when he was the one guy standing there. Like any rookie, (there’s) so much to work on. And that’s the fun part of working with our rookies. Jack’s got a great attitude. Love how he is in the meeting rooms, love how he is on the grass.”

“It was pretty cool,” Strand said. “It was a little different from playing in a Division II stadium (he played in college at Minnesota State Moorhead), but it’s the same game I’ve been playing since I was 6 years old.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Wings vs. Valkyries: TV channel and streaming options for August 17

Published

on

The Golden State Valkyries (24-9) hope to extend a five-game winning streak when they host the Dallas Wings (20-15) at 10 p.m. ET on Monday, August 17, 2026 at Chase Center. The game airs on Peacock, NBC Sports, KFAA, KPIX, and KOVR 13.

How to watch Dallas Wings vs. Golden State Valkyries

Dallas vs. Golden State odds

  • Spread: Golden State -6.5 (-110), Dallas +6.5 (-110)
  • Favorite Moneyline: Golden State -278
  • Underdog Moneyline: Dallas +225
  • Total: 161.5
  • Total Over Odds: -115
  • Total Under Odds: -105

Injury reports

Valkyries

Kiah Stokes: Day-To-Day (Concussion Protocol),

Janelle Salaün: Questionable (Knee),

Iliana Rupert: Out For Season (Pregnancy)

Wings

Jessica Shepard: Probable (Ankle),

Azzi Fudd: Out (Knee),

Aziaha James: Out (Leg)

Stats to know

  • The 83.5 points per game the Valkyries average are only 3.1 fewer points than the Wings allow (86.6).
  • Dallas scores an average of 89.0 points per game, 12.1 more points than the 76.9 Golden State allows.
  • Gabby Williams puts up 14.6 points, 2.2 assists and 3.2 boards per contest.
  • Jessica Shepard averages 14.2 points, 5.2 assists and 11.4 rebounds per game.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Julio Aguilar, Ethan Miller, Steph Chambers / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

In light of Breece Hall injury scare, 8 players the Jets can least afford to lose

Published

on

The Jets seem to have an injury scare just about every summer. Sometimes — like with Alijah Vera-Tucker last year, or Mekhi Becton in 2023 — the scare turns into a full-blown horror show. Both suffered season-ending injuries before the regular season kicked off. Last year, Justin Fields went down early in training camp, but it turned out to be just a dislocated toe.

The Jets have dealt with their share of injuries in camp already. Two highly-drafted rookies (Kenyon Sadiq, D’Angelo Ponds) have been out. A few key defensive players (T’Vondre Sweat, Joe Ossai) missed most of camp before returning this week. Cornerback Nahshon Wright and running back Isaiah Davis have been out for a couple weeks. All of those players are expected to be back at some point before Week 1.

But the first big scare of camp came on Monday, when running back Breece Hall went down, untouched, after making a reception during team drills. Hall walked off with trainers, who examined his right leg, and after practice head coach Aaron Glenn described it as a groin strain. Glenn said he “didn’t think it was a big deal” but Hall was going in for imaging to find out more.

How Cade Klubnik is proving he’s worthy of being the Jets second QB

Zack Rosenblatt

The exact length of time Hall will be out is yet to be determined, but as of early afternoon Monday it appears the Jets have avoided something serious.

Hall is unquestionably one of the Jets’ most important players, which got me thinking: Which players can the Jets least afford to lose to injury? Here are the eight:

1) LB Demario Davis

Most teams would list a quarterback here. Maybe it’s not ideal that a 37-year-old linebacker tops this list but that’s how important Davis is to the defensive operation and everything Glenn wants to do as the defensive play-caller. Jamien Sherwood was out of his depth last year wearing the green dot, a role that required him to relay play-calls, and make sure his teammates are lined up properly and aware of what the offense is showing.

He was ultimately misplaced as the defensive quarterback and missed the mentorship and guidance of C.J. Mosley, who played a crucial role in Sherwood’s development before his breakout 2024 season. Davis replaces what was missing when Mosley retired, and Davis looks like a better player now than Mosley was at the end too, coming off a season in which he was widely graded as one of the NFL’s best linebackers, especially against the run.

Beyond Davis’s importance to the infrastructure of the defense, inside linebacker is as thin as any position on the Jets’ roster. If Davis goes down, Sherwood would likely get the green dot again — though perhaps Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a candidate — and the top backup options currently on the team are Kiko Mauigoa, Marcelino McCrary-Ball and Mykal Walker, the latter two primarily here for special-teams purposes.

A positive sign: Davis has been one of the NFL’s best ironmen for the last decade-plus. In his NFL career, including two other stints with the Jets, he’s played in 227 of 229 possible games while playing at least 90 percent of the snaps in all but four seasons. He’s played at least 97 percent of snaps in six seasons straight.

2) WR Garrett Wilson

On paper, this is the most talented group of wide receivers the Jets have had in a few years. After Wilson, the Jets have Adonai Mitchell, who has had a stellar summer and flashed some serious potential both with the Colts and in a half-season with the Jets. The Jets drafted Omar Cooper Jr. in the first round and Isaiah Williams emerged this summer as someone worthy of starting in the slot.

Yet, none of those three players have any track record of consistent production in the NFL, and the Jets’ passing offense revolves around their most talented player. Wilson not only draws attention but can find ways to make plays even when he’s draped in coverage. Talent-wise, he can be a Top-10 receiver — he’s produced throughout his NFL career despite inconsistent performance at quarterback (and that’s being kind). Remove Wilson from the fray and Mitchell needs to perform as a No. 1 wide receiver, and Cooper needs to show he’s ready to contribute immediately — which he hasn’t quite done yet.

The Jets clearly have better depth at this position than some others on this list, but Wilson is also leaps and bounds above these other receivers in terms of talent. His absence would both limit the offense, and change the way opposing defenses prepare to face the Jets.

3) QB Geno Smith

Whatever you think of Smith and his capabilities coming off a bad season in Las Vegas, he is quite clearly the Jets’ best quarterback and the only one on the roster that has proven capable of holding down a starting job for an extended stretch. The Jets have gotten the full Smith experience during training camp; there are days when he looks perfect (during one practice he completed every pass in team drills), and days where things just aren’t working (like in the joint practices with the Buccaneers). A sore ankle kept him out of the preseason opener and he was seen walking gingerly at practice on Monday.

Rookie Cade Klubnik flashed intriguing poise and potential against Tampa but is far from ready for NFL action. Unless the Jets go out and get a veteran quarterback at some point between now and the start of the season, they — like most teams — would be in trouble if the starter goes down.

4) RB Breece Hall

Hall is banged up and backup Isaiah Davis (knee) has been out for a couple weeks, leaving the Braelon Allen, Kene Nwangwu and undrafted rookies Chip Trayanum and Sam Scott in the Jets’ running backs room. Nwangwu is primarily a returner. Maybe general manager Darren Mougey will add someone after roster cuts at the end of camp (or before then) but for now this is the group they’re rolling with.

Allen has had a nice summer, including an impressive 31-yard touchdown run on Friday night, but he missed most of last season with an injury and has only averaged 3.7 yards per carry in 21 NFL games. Glenn speaks about both Allen and Davis as starting-caliber running backs but ideally the Jets won’t have to find out if that’s the case.

The Jets paid Hall $43.5 million for a reason: They’ve largely built the offense around his ability to take on a significant workload both as a runner and pass-catcher. He has a level of burst, agility and athleticism that would make it challenging to replace his production, though not impossible if Allen can live up to his potential.

5) OT Armand Membou, and 6) OT Olu Fashanu

I put Membou and Fashanu together for a couple reasons. First, Membou is the Jets’ best (or at least most talented) offensive lineman, and losing him would be particularly detrimental to the running game, where he thrived as a rookie. He’s been one of the Jets’ best players at any position this summer.

Though if Membou were to go down, the Jets at least have an experienced backup in Chukwuma Okorafor (60 career starts) to step in at right tackle. Okorafor, though, has almost exclusively played right tackle in the NFL. If Fashanu went down, the Jets would either be playing Okorafor out of position or bumping up fifth-year OT Max Mitchell to the left tackle spot.

Fashanu has had his ups and downs in camp but overall is a solid offensive tackle with the potential to improve. It would be a big downgrade from Fashanu to any of these backups.

7) S Minkah Fitzpatrick

The 29-year-old has a case for being the best Jets player in training camp. He’s been all over the field, forcing turnovers or coming close to it on a consistent basis. He flashed what he could mean to the defense during Friday’s preseason game. The Jets sent him on a blitz early on, and he lined up all over the field, even as a pseudo-linebacker at one point. He can play in the nickel and the back end, and he’s held in extremely high regard by his teammates.

Dane Belton has had a nice camp too but he’s better suited as the Jets’ No. 2 safety than the one at the top of the depth chart if Fitzpatrick were to miss any time. The Jets saw what it looks like when Andre Cisco was the No. 1 safety last year. Malachi Moore — the 2025 fourth-round pick — was getting snaps with the third-team defense on Friday night.

Fitzpatrick’s presence raises the ceiling of the defense — his absence would significantly lower that ceiling, not to mention the floor.

8) OLB David Bailey

Yes, the rookie is already this important, mostly because he looks like the best edge rusher on the roster already and the only pass rusher who will really drive any sort of fear into the opposition. Will McDonald certainly has talent but he has struggled with consistency during his career, and even this summer. Bailey showed against the Bucs that he’s already drawing enough attention that it should make life easier for McDonald on the other side.

It helps that the Jets have a couple of solid veterans in Kingsley Enagbare and Joe Ossai, but both have struggled to stay healthy this summer themselves. Bailey is the key to unlocking the pass-rushing potential of Glenn’s defense.

Also considered: P Austin McNamara, WR/PR Isaiah Williams, G Joe Tippmann, C Josh Myers, LB Jamien Sherwood

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Manchester United in contract talks with Bruno Fernandes as Galatasaray make lucrative offer

Published

on

Manchester United are in contract talks with Bruno Fernandes amid the player receiving a lucrative proposal from Galatasaray.

The Turkish club offered the 31-year-old a salary of €20million (£17.1m;$23.2m) a year, but Fernandes wants to remain at United and is in discussions about a new deal. His existing terms, signed in August 2024, run until 2027, with the option of an additional 12 months.

Fernandes had a €65m release clause which was only open to foreign clubs earlier this summer, but that has since expired. United are not open to selling Fernandes after the expiration of that clause and maintain they have not received any contact from clubs over the Portugal international. Last year, Fernandes was the subject of major interest from Al Hilal in Saudi Arabia.

Galatasaray have made a number of high-profile transfers in recent years, including the 2024 move for Victor Osimhen and the acquisition of Leroy Sane from Bayern Munich last summer. The Athletic reported last week that they had submitted an offer worth €45m for Arsenal’s Gabriel Martinelli, but the player turned down the move.

Fernandes returned to pre-season training with United at the start of August, after representing Portugal in their run to the World Cup round of 16, and played in his side’s final three warm-up friendlies.

Three storylines to watch ahead of this season

George Edwards and Rachael Tinde

Fernandes enjoyed a strong 2025-26 season, culminating in winning the Football Writers’ Association men’s footballer of the year award. Alongside scoring nine league goals, he provided a record-breaking 21 league assists, setting an all-time competition record for the most assists in a single campaign.

The midfielder has been United’s player of the season in five of the seven campaigns he has played in — only Cristiano Ronaldo (2021-22) and Marcus Rashford (2022-23) have ever beaten him to the accolade — since signing from Sporting CP in January 2020.

Fernandes joined United from Sporting for an initial fee of £47m in January 2020 and has made 327 appearances across six and a half seasons, scoring 107 goals.

He has been United captain since the start of the 2023-24 season, after Harry Maguire announced he would no longer be leading the side.

Fernandes has won the FA Cup and Carabao Cup while at United, and has helped his side reach the Europa League final in 2021 and then again, four years later, in 2025.


What makes sense for United and Fernandes?

Bruno Fernandes is the FWA Player of the Year and was integral to United reclaiming a place in the Champions League after two seasons out of Europe’s top competition.

His importance to the team is clear — he broke the Premier League record for assists in a campaign last year — but so too is his influence around the club. During United’s pre-season tour, in Dublin and Wroclaw, he spent hours signing autographs for fans, and he is excellent with guiding academy players. The value of those standards is hard to quantify.

But each summer since INEOS took control of United’s football operation his future has come into question, most strongly last year when Al Hilal made a huge offer worth up to €40million annually. In interviews, Fernandes was open about the incredible financial opportunity, but insisted football came first, still aiming for the chance to win major trophies. Those same principles appear to apply this time round, with Galatasaray now offering another big pay rise, but Fernandes wishing to continue at Old Trafford.

Of course, United’s view on all this is interesting. Last year their response made Fernandes think they would be open to cashing in. This time they are insisting he is not for sale at any price.

It is in that context that talks are ongoing over a contract extension, with his current terms ending in 2027, although there is a plus-one option. That deal was agreed in August 2024.

Now Casemiro has left, it is believed only Marcus Rashford earns higher than Fernandes in United’s squad.

But so far no agreement has been reached between United and their captain, and all parties are weighing up what makes sense for arguably the best player in England last year, who turns 32 in September.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.