Connect with us

Sports

Sheffield United owner dispute: £35m payment, loss of control and points deduction warning

Published

on

Sheffield United’s former owner United World has warned current owners Helmy Eltoukhy and Steven Rosen that they will lose control of the team if they fail to pay the £35million ($47million) it is claimed they still owe for the Championship club.

United World also claimed there is also a “real prospect” of a points deduction for Sheffield United this season.

The warning comes in a statement issued on Monday, two days before United World’s petition to wind up COH Sports Bidco Ltd (CSBL) — the company Eltoukhy and Rosen set up in 2024 to buy Sheffield United — is heard in a London business court on Wednesday.


How did we get here?

United World, owned by Saudi royal Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz bin Al Saud, filed the winding-up petition in early July, two weeks after a “board update” appeared on the club website that said the South Yorkshire-based team had a new “parent company”, 1919 Partners LLC.

The club announcement continued by saying the Delaware-based 1919 Partners “sits at the centre of the ownership structure and enables the club to attract additional investment over time”, before adding that “this development” had no impact on the club’s day-to-day running or financial stability.

The move came as a shock to United World, which sold Sheffield United and its property assets to the American duo in December 2024 for just over £100million ($135million), as it had been chasing them for missing takeover instalments.

Sheffield United were beaten in the 2025 Championship playoff final (Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Its initial reaction was to send letters, which The Athletic has seen, to the English Football League (EFL) and independent football regulator (IFR), asking them if they had approved the move to transfer Sheffield United’s shares from CSBL to 1919 Partners, while reminding them of four earlier warnings it had sent to the EFL about “the financial status of the ultimate owners” of the club.

The Athletic later confirmed that neither the EFL nor the IFR had approved the share transfer, with both organisations issuing statements that said they were making inquiries. That was nearly six weeks ago.

According to its most recent statement, United World believes there has been no progress in terms of resolving the financial dispute and claims the transfer of the club’s shares to 1919 Partners is “an attempt to avoid paying CSBL’s creditors”, namely United World.

“In short, they are trying to take the club without paying for it,” the Geneva-based company said.


Are Sheffield United at risk of an EFL breach?

United World, which has hired leading sports lawyer Nick De Marco to front its case, also claims that Rosen, the club’s co-chair with Eltoukhy, was a director at an American firm called Invacare that filed for bankruptcy in May 2023. Under EFL/IFR rules, individuals who have been involved in two insolvencies within a 10-year period cannot serve as directors of an English club or exercise any control over one.

Rosen’s relationship with Invacare is listed on the website of his Cleveland-based private equity firm, Resilience Capital Partners. The Athletic has approached Resilience for comment.

United World, which expects the winding-up petition to be granted, also notes that “once investigations are completed, there is a real prospect the EFL may have to impose a 12-point deduction” on United, as per league rules on clubs that suffer insolvency events.

“As the former owners of SUFC, United World does not want to see SUFC facing months of uncertainty that will follow the winding-up order being granted on 19 August, but in the absence of Eltoukhy and Rosen, both billionaires, agreeing to pay what they owe, we have no alternative but to take all legal steps to protect our interests,” it added.


What have Eltoukhy and Rosen said?

Eltoukhy and Rosen have not challenged the claim that United World is owed money but have issued a response to Monday’s warning.

“We are disappointed Prince Abdullah is trying to hurt the club and its supporters with publicity stunts,” a spokesperson for the owner group told The Athletic.

The spokesperson continued by pointing out that the Saudi royal was “well advised” at the time of the takeover and said the club is more “financially healthy” now than it was under his watch. Sheffield United were docked two points at the start of the 2024-25 season for making late payments to other clubs.

The spokesperson said Eltoukhy and Rosen “invited” the prince to “reinvest in the club and join the ownership of Sheffield United” once more, before adding that the co-owners “are focused on the sustainability of the club and the season ahead”.

When these points were put to United World by The Athletic, it said: “The debt is the only issue before the high court on Wednesday and the owners’ statement does not dispute the debt.”

United World noted that Rosen has also not denied being a director at Invacare at the time of its bankruptcy and questioned why the owners of a “financially healthy” club cannot pay the money they owe the former owner.

“Paying it would answer all questions about the club’s situation at once,” it said. “Instead, the owners are running a club they have not paid for and the club’s financial health, such as it is, is the result of (their) scheme to avoid paying for the club.”

When the pair bought Sheffield United, the club was top of the Championship, aiming to bounce back to the Premier League at the first opportunity. But four defeats in five games saw them slip into the play-offs and then lose to a stoppage-time goal in the play-off final against Sunderland in May 2025.

Last season, the team recovered from a disastrous start under new manager Ruben Selles to finish 13th under Chris Wilder, back for this third stint at Bramall Lane.

Sheffield United, who have had three short stints in the Premier League over the last two decades, started this season with a 0-0 draw at home to Birmingham City on Saturday. As this is their third season in the Championship since their last relegation, they will not benefit from a parachute payment to boost their finances.

The EFL declined to comment but an IFR spokesperson said: “We are aware of the winding-up petition in relation to COH Sports Bidco.

“We are engaging with the club and relevant organisation on this issue but cannot comment further at this stage.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Yankees send Max Fried back to IL in surprise move; elbow bone bruise returns

Published

on

In what could end up being a massive blow to the New York Yankees’ starting rotation, co-ace Max Fried returned to the 15-day injured list Monday with a left elbow bone bruise — the same injury that sidelined him for two months earlier this summer.

The move was a surprise and came just hours after news broke that lefty Carlos Rodón (elbow inflammation) was expected to return from the injured list Tuesday and start on the road vs. the Baltimore Orioles.

Fried seemed fine Thursday after his last start, in which he gave up one run over five innings in a 1-0 loss to the Seattle Mariners. It was his fifth start since coming off an IL stint with the same injury that had him out from May 13 until July 22.

In that start, Fried didn’t show any signs of injury and his average fastball velocity (93.3 mph) was near what it had been all season (93.2 mph). But he did describe the outing as “a grind” and said that he “didn’t necessarily have my best stuff.”

“I was a little erratic,” he said at the time. “But I was able to make some big pitches.”

He added that he “wasn’t as in rhythm as I wanted to be. The execution was good at times, but I felt like I was in and out of it and didn’t really have a good rhythm to be able to maintain it from Pitch 1 to where I came out.”

A potential saving grace for the Yankees? The club didn’t put Fried on the 60-day injured list, which would have ended his season. The Yankees appear to be holding out hope that he could still return by only putting him on the 15-day IL.

Can George Lombard Jr. spark the Yankees’ season?

Brendan Kuty and Johnny Sweet

Fried is 4-4 with a 2.81 ERA in 15 starts this season. It’s fair to wonder if last season’s workload has caught up to him. In 2025 — his first season with the Yankees — he threw a career-high 195 1/3 innings in 32 starts, also a career-best.

Fried is in the second year of an eight-year, $218 million deal.

The Yankees had hoped to head into October with a rotation fronted by Cam Schlittler, Gerrit Cole and Fried. That might now be in jeopardy, though they have coverage in Rodón and lefty Ryan Weathers, who has been especially good of late (2.56 ERA over his last 11 starts).

The sudden departure of Fried makes it even more important that the rest of the Yankees’ stars return healthy — and soon.

Over the weekend, manager Aaron Boone said left fielder Cody Bellinger (left hamstring strain) could begin a rehab assignment either Thursday or Friday. Designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton (right calf strain) has been hitting and running the bases, though Boone said he didn’t know when Stanton might attempt a rehab assignment. Boone added that Aaron Judge (first right rib stress fracture) began playing catch at Yankee Stadium on Friday.

Fried’s injury also should keep righty Will Warren in the rotation for now. The return of Rodón seemed sure to bump Warren to the bullpen or to Triple A at some point. It even seemed likely that Rodón would piggyback Tuesday’s start with Warren entering after him. But Warren likely will keep his spot in the rotation with Fried on ice.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Diamondbacks place Ketel Marte on restricted list amid wild-card push

Published

on

Ketel Marte of the Arizona Diamondbacks returns to the dugout after scoring in the ninth inning of a game against the Atlanta Braves at Truist Park on August 16, 2026.

The Diamondbacks placed Ketel Marte on the restricted list Monday. Edward M. Pio Roda / Getty Images

Amid a push for the one of the National League’s three wild-card spots, the Arizona Diamondbacks have placed second baseman Ketel Marte on the restricted list, the club announced Monday. The move came ahead of Arizona’s road opener against the Boston Red Sox.

The Diamondbacks did not disclose an official reason why the 32-year-old Marte was placed on the list. Nick Piecoro, who covers the team for the Arizona Republic, tweeted that Marte failed to show up to the ballpark.

In Marte’s place, the Diamondbacks recalled Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno. Marte, who was slated to DH on Monday, was replaced in the lineup by trade deadline acquisition Lars Nootbaar.

As MLB defines it, players on the restricted list remain under contract with their club, however, they are not with the club and thus no longer mandated to be compensated. A player’s placement on the restricted list is subject to approval by MLB.

This story will be updated.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Chelsea co-owners Todd Boehly and Mark Walter hold talks over selling shares to majority owners Clearlake Capital | Football News

Published

on

Todd Boehly and Mark Walter have held talks about selling their shares in Chelsea to Clearlake Capital.

Clearlake currently owns 61.5 per cent of the club, while Boehly, Walter and Hansjorg Wyss each own a 12.8 per cent stake.

Clearlake, under the leadership of Behdad Eghbali and Jose Feliciano, effectively run the club even though Boehly is the chairman.

Boehly was the face of the consortium which bought the club four years ago in a £2.5bn deal.

In March 2025, Boehly said Chelsea’s owners could go their separate ways if they could not agree on the future of Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea bosses are considering whether to leave Stamford Bridge or to expand, with Earl’s Court seen as a possible new location.

All options are being evaluated, with the project said to be complicated by the limited space in London to build.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Boehly said: “We have to think long term about what we’re trying to accomplish.

“We have a big stadium development opportunity that we have to flesh out. That’s going to be where we’re either aligned, or we ultimately decide to go different ways.”

There had been tensions too between Boehly and Clearlake in 2024.

Sky Sports News reported in September 2024 that Boehly had been unhappy with the way the club is being run and that he did not want Mauricio Pochettino to lose his job as head coach in May 2024.

Enzo Maresca replaced Pochettino and went on to win the Conference League and Club World Cup, but he left at the start of 2026, with Chelsea eventually finishing 10th and without European football.

Xabi Alonso was appointed as the new manager this summer, with the Blues spending over £280m on 12 new signings.

‘Boehly exit would be positive for Chelsea’

Chelsea chairman Todd Boehly could sell his stake in the club
Image:
Chelsea chairman Todd Boehly could sell his stake in the club

Daily Mail’s Riath Al-Samarrai speaking on Sky Sports News’ Paper Talk:

“It’s been a very uneasy alliance, almost from the get-go.

“There have been some pretty notable sort of differences in opinion. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I always go back to one of the sort of turning points: Pochettino leaving.

“All the information we had was that Boehly wanted him to stay, but Clearlake were on the other side of that, and that’s a fairly sort of big one for an ownership group not to be agreeing on.

“I actually think this will be a positive thing for Chelsea. I’m not necessarily sure either of them are particularly loved, but if he goes, then it creates maybe a little bit of clarity behind the scenes.

“But this is still contingent on Clearlake stumping up the money for him to accept.

“We know as well that his real kind of control of the club, the chairmanship, is going to expire next summer. There was always that thought in the background that that would be a point when there might be a natural parting of the ways, but it appears to be coming a little bit sooner.”

Podcast special: Alonso, Fernandez & a new Chelsea era

It’s been another summer of change at Chelsea – and on the eve of a new Premier League season, there is so much to analyse at the club, with Alonso’s reign kicking off, big-money transfers to be settled and a search for success on the pitch in their sights.

In a special Sky Sports podcast – A big summer for… ChelseaPeter Smith is joined by Sky Sports News reporter James Savundra and Sky Sports football journalist David Richardson to discuss the key talking points at the club, including Enzo Fernandez’s future amid interest from Manchester City and a £120m price tag.

The arrival of £117m Morgan Rogers and his partnership with Cole Palmer was also on the agenda, along with Alonso’s new tactical set-up and the surprise signings of experienced pair Jordan Henderson and Danny Welbeck, which signalled a shift in the club’s transfer policy.

Listen to the podcast below, watch it on the Sky Sports News YouTube channel or read here for the key points from the episode.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.