Connect with us

Sports

Diamondbacks place Ketel Marte on restricted list amid wild-card push

Published

on

Ketel Marte of the Arizona Diamondbacks returns to the dugout after scoring in the ninth inning of a game against the Atlanta Braves at Truist Park on August 16, 2026.

The Diamondbacks placed Ketel Marte on the restricted list Monday. Edward M. Pio Roda / Getty Images

Amid a push for the one of the National League’s three wild-card spots, the Arizona Diamondbacks have placed second baseman Ketel Marte on the restricted list, the club announced Monday. The move came ahead of Arizona’s road opener against the Boston Red Sox.

The Diamondbacks did not disclose an official reason why the 32-year-old Marte was placed on the list. Nick Piecoro, who covers the team for the Arizona Republic, tweeted that Marte failed to show up to the ballpark.

In Marte’s place, the Diamondbacks recalled Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno. Marte, who was slated to DH on Monday, was replaced in the lineup by trade deadline acquisition Lars Nootbaar.

As MLB defines it, players on the restricted list remain under contract with their club, however, they are not with the club and thus no longer mandated to be compensated. A player’s placement on the restricted list is subject to approval by MLB.

This story will be updated.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Swiatek completes emphatic comeback after losing first set to Sakkari

Published

on


Highlights of Iga Swiatek against Maria Sakkari from the Cincinnati Open.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

LIV Golf confirms season-ending Team Championship event in Michigan cancelled with 2026 winner to be crowned a week earlier | Golf News

Published

on

LIV Golf has confirmed its season-ending Team Championship event in Michigan will no longer go ahead, with this week’s tournament in Indianapolis to be a stroke-play event that concludes the season.

Part of a lengthy LIV Golf statement on Monday read: “With LIV Golf Indianapolis serving as the final event of the season, the previously scheduled Aramco LIV Golf Michigan, originally set for August 27-30, at The Cardinal at Saint John’s Resort, will not take place.”

As of last Thursday, tickets for LIV Golf’s Team Championship event in Michigan could no longer be purchased on its official website amid reports it had been cancelled, while star player Tyrrell Hatton entered a DP World Tour event on the same dates.

The Telegraph reported a day earlier that LIV’s players had been told of its cancellation. However nothing was confirmed by the league itself until Monday.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Bryson DeChambeau claims that LIV Golf players were left ‘surprised’ by the Saudi Public Investment Fund’s decision to withdraw funding from the organisation

England’s Hatton appeared on the latest version of the entry list for the British Masters, which also runs from August 27-30, live on Sky Sports.

Hatton is joined on the entry list by fellow LIV players Tom McKibbin and Adrian Meronk, with the trio set to tee it up at The Belfry, where the tournament is being hosted by Sir Nick Faldo.

Prior to its cancellation, former Open champion Cameron Smith had said he would be “disappointed” if the Indianapolis event did not go ahead.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Rory McIlroy reflects on the running of the PGA Tour before LIV came along and shares his concerns over future schedules

LIV’s future into 2027 remains in doubt.

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) announced in April it would be ending its financing of the league at the conclusion of the 2026 season, leaving LIV Golf searching for new investors.

League CEO Scott O’Neil announced earlier this month that the league had reached an agreement with a new unnamed ‘lead investor’ to provide funding for the 2027 season.

O’Neil said the deal was set to be finalised later this month but added the new investor had “signed a term sheet”.

Golf Now logo.

Get the best prices and book a round at one of 1,700 courses across the UK & Ireland

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Jeanie Buss’ lawyers deny Lakers ownership sale, demand family stake vote be halted

Published

on

Jeanie Buss might not be done as the Los Angeles Lakers’ team governor.

Not long after it was reported that the Buss family intended to sell its portion of the franchise — a move that would lead to Jeanie’s ouster as team governor — her lawyers deemed the reported vote void. In a letter sent to her siblings’ attorneys, and obtained by The Athletic, that strategy constituted “a breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty” and would put them “in contempt of court.”

The latest battle between Buss siblings comes in the wake of Mark Walter’s stunning decision to sell the Lakers to former Disney CEO Bob Iger and billionaire venture capitalist Josh Kushner for a reported $12.5 billion valuation. If the sale is approved by the league’s Board of Governors, it would be the richest in professional sports history.

The move opened the door for the Buss family to potentially sell their shares (worth approximately 17.8 percent of the business), but the parties clearly disagree on what it would take for that to happen. As was widely reported Monday, the siblings who voted to sell the family’s shares assert that four of the six beneficiaries of the Buss trust were needed for a passing vote. Yet Jeanie’s attorney, Adam Streisand of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton Law, argued in the letter sent to her siblings’ attorneys that two previous legal rulings render that strategy improper.

Everything we know about the Lakers being sold again

Dan Woike

“No sale of the … 17.8% ownership interest in the Los Angeles Lakers, Inc. can be effectuated without approval by the current co-trustees, i.e., Jeanie, Janie and Joey Buss,” the letter reads. “The co-trustees are bound to vote the Los Angeles Lakers, Inc. shares to ensure that the minimum 15% ownership requirement is maintained in order to ensure that Jeanie Buss may remain Controlling Owner. Any attempt by the co-trustees to do otherwise, and any attempt to aid or abet the co-trustees as such, would constitute a breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and be in contempt of court.”

The letter cites a 2017 order from the Los Angeles Superior Court obtained by Jeanie Buss as part of its argument, indicating this course of action is prohibited.

“The Court ordered, among other things, as follows: ‘The Co-trustees of the Trust are hereby instructed to take all actions reasonably available to them, including voting the Trust’s shares, to ensure that (Jeanie Buss) is elected as the Controlling Owner of the Lakers on an annual basis during (Jeanie Buss’) lifetime absent a further order of this Court modifying the Trust based upon proof of circumstances justifying the modification under applicable law.’

“The Order remains in full force and effect,” the letter continues. “There has never been a modification of the Trust. No effort has ever been made to justify to the Court that there are circumstances for modifying the Trust, and there are no circumstances that could be proven to justify any modification.”

As The Athletic first reported last summer, Jeanie’s agreement with the Walter Group stipulated that she would remain the team’s governor for at least five years. Yet the sale to Iger and Kushner called that understanding into question, with Iger telling The California Post last week that he intended to honor the deal before qualifying his statement.

“If things change, they’ll change,” he added.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.