Sports
Yankees send Max Fried back to IL in surprise move; elbow bone bruise returns
In what could end up being a massive blow to the New York Yankees’ starting rotation, co-ace Max Fried returned to the 15-day injured list Monday with a left elbow bone bruise — the same injury that sidelined him for two months earlier this summer.
The move was a surprise and came just hours after news broke that lefty Carlos Rodón (elbow inflammation) was expected to return from the injured list Tuesday and start on the road vs. the Baltimore Orioles.
Fried seemed fine Thursday after his last start, in which he gave up one run over five innings in a 1-0 loss to the Seattle Mariners. It was his fifth start since coming off an IL stint with the same injury that had him out from May 13 until July 22.
In that start, Fried didn’t show any signs of injury and his average fastball velocity (93.3 mph) was near what it had been all season (93.2 mph). But he did describe the outing as “a grind” and said that he “didn’t necessarily have my best stuff.”
“I was a little erratic,” he said at the time. “But I was able to make some big pitches.”
He added that he “wasn’t as in rhythm as I wanted to be. The execution was good at times, but I felt like I was in and out of it and didn’t really have a good rhythm to be able to maintain it from Pitch 1 to where I came out.”
A potential saving grace for the Yankees? The club didn’t put Fried on the 60-day injured list, which would have ended his season. The Yankees appear to be holding out hope that he could still return by only putting him on the 15-day IL.
Can George Lombard Jr. spark the Yankees’ season?
Brendan Kuty and Johnny Sweet
Fried is 4-4 with a 2.81 ERA in 15 starts this season. It’s fair to wonder if last season’s workload has caught up to him. In 2025 — his first season with the Yankees — he threw a career-high 195 1/3 innings in 32 starts, also a career-best.
Fried is in the second year of an eight-year, $218 million deal.
The Yankees had hoped to head into October with a rotation fronted by Cam Schlittler, Gerrit Cole and Fried. That might now be in jeopardy, though they have coverage in Rodón and lefty Ryan Weathers, who has been especially good of late (2.56 ERA over his last 11 starts).
The sudden departure of Fried makes it even more important that the rest of the Yankees’ stars return healthy — and soon.
Over the weekend, manager Aaron Boone said left fielder Cody Bellinger (left hamstring strain) could begin a rehab assignment either Thursday or Friday. Designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton (right calf strain) has been hitting and running the bases, though Boone said he didn’t know when Stanton might attempt a rehab assignment. Boone added that Aaron Judge (first right rib stress fracture) began playing catch at Yankee Stadium on Friday.
Fried’s injury also should keep righty Will Warren in the rotation for now. The return of Rodón seemed sure to bump Warren to the bullpen or to Triple A at some point. It even seemed likely that Rodón would piggyback Tuesday’s start with Warren entering after him. But Warren likely will keep his spot in the rotation with Fried on ice.
>
Sports
Swiatek completes emphatic comeback after losing first set to Sakkari

Highlights of Iga Swiatek against Maria Sakkari from the Cincinnati Open.
>
Sports
LIV Golf confirms season-ending Team Championship event in Michigan cancelled with 2026 winner to be crowned a week earlier | Golf News
LIV Golf has confirmed its season-ending Team Championship event in Michigan will no longer go ahead, with this week’s tournament in Indianapolis to be a stroke-play event that concludes the season.
Part of a lengthy LIV Golf statement on Monday read: “With LIV Golf Indianapolis serving as the final event of the season, the previously scheduled Aramco LIV Golf Michigan, originally set for August 27-30, at The Cardinal at Saint John’s Resort, will not take place.”
As of last Thursday, tickets for LIV Golf’s Team Championship event in Michigan could no longer be purchased on its official website amid reports it had been cancelled, while star player Tyrrell Hatton entered a DP World Tour event on the same dates.
The Telegraph reported a day earlier that LIV’s players had been told of its cancellation. However nothing was confirmed by the league itself until Monday.
England’s Hatton appeared on the latest version of the entry list for the British Masters, which also runs from August 27-30, live on Sky Sports.
Hatton is joined on the entry list by fellow LIV players Tom McKibbin and Adrian Meronk, with the trio set to tee it up at The Belfry, where the tournament is being hosted by Sir Nick Faldo.
Prior to its cancellation, former Open champion Cameron Smith had said he would be “disappointed” if the Indianapolis event did not go ahead.
LIV’s future into 2027 remains in doubt.
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) announced in April it would be ending its financing of the league at the conclusion of the 2026 season, leaving LIV Golf searching for new investors.
League CEO Scott O’Neil announced earlier this month that the league had reached an agreement with a new unnamed ‘lead investor’ to provide funding for the 2027 season.
O’Neil said the deal was set to be finalised later this month but added the new investor had “signed a term sheet”.
Get the best prices and book a round at one of 1,700 courses across the UK & Ireland
>
Sports
Jeanie Buss’ lawyers deny Lakers ownership sale, demand family stake vote be halted
Jeanie Buss might not be done as the Los Angeles Lakers’ team governor.
Not long after it was reported that the Buss family intended to sell its portion of the franchise — a move that would lead to Jeanie’s ouster as team governor — her lawyers deemed the reported vote void. In a letter sent to her siblings’ attorneys, and obtained by The Athletic, that strategy constituted “a breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty” and would put them “in contempt of court.”
The latest battle between Buss siblings comes in the wake of Mark Walter’s stunning decision to sell the Lakers to former Disney CEO Bob Iger and billionaire venture capitalist Josh Kushner for a reported $12.5 billion valuation. If the sale is approved by the league’s Board of Governors, it would be the richest in professional sports history.
The move opened the door for the Buss family to potentially sell their shares (worth approximately 17.8 percent of the business), but the parties clearly disagree on what it would take for that to happen. As was widely reported Monday, the siblings who voted to sell the family’s shares assert that four of the six beneficiaries of the Buss trust were needed for a passing vote. Yet Jeanie’s attorney, Adam Streisand of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton Law, argued in the letter sent to her siblings’ attorneys that two previous legal rulings render that strategy improper.
Everything we know about the Lakers being sold again
Dan Woike
“No sale of the … 17.8% ownership interest in the Los Angeles Lakers, Inc. can be effectuated without approval by the current co-trustees, i.e., Jeanie, Janie and Joey Buss,” the letter reads. “The co-trustees are bound to vote the Los Angeles Lakers, Inc. shares to ensure that the minimum 15% ownership requirement is maintained in order to ensure that Jeanie Buss may remain Controlling Owner. Any attempt by the co-trustees to do otherwise, and any attempt to aid or abet the co-trustees as such, would constitute a breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and be in contempt of court.”
The letter cites a 2017 order from the Los Angeles Superior Court obtained by Jeanie Buss as part of its argument, indicating this course of action is prohibited.
“The Court ordered, among other things, as follows: ‘The Co-trustees of the Trust are hereby instructed to take all actions reasonably available to them, including voting the Trust’s shares, to ensure that (Jeanie Buss) is elected as the Controlling Owner of the Lakers on an annual basis during (Jeanie Buss’) lifetime absent a further order of this Court modifying the Trust based upon proof of circumstances justifying the modification under applicable law.’
“The Order remains in full force and effect,” the letter continues. “There has never been a modification of the Trust. No effort has ever been made to justify to the Court that there are circumstances for modifying the Trust, and there are no circumstances that could be proven to justify any modification.”
As The Athletic first reported last summer, Jeanie’s agreement with the Walter Group stipulated that she would remain the team’s governor for at least five years. Yet the sale to Iger and Kushner called that understanding into question, with Iger telling The California Post last week that he intended to honor the deal before qualifying his statement.
“If things change, they’ll change,” he added.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza


