Connect with us

Sports

Football news: Thomas Frank, Ashley Young and more join Match of the Day as BBC launches four new Youtube shows

Published

on

Footballers Toby Alderweireld, Robbie Keane, Ashley Young, and former Tottenham manager Thomas Frank will join Match of the Day as pundits and BBC Sport will launch four new YouTube formats for the new men’s football season.

The BBC Football YouTube channel will house the quartet of new shows including FANS², The Truth About Football, Golden Goal and Football Hub.

There will be a focus on fan experience with the addition of the BBC Sport Fan Collective, which will bring together supporters representing all 20 Premier League clubs.

“Football means something different to every fan, and this season BBC Sport is putting those fans even more firmly at the heart of the game,” said BBC director of Sport Alex Kay-Jelski.

“We’re bringing together the unrivalled expertise of former players and managers with the passion, personality and perspectives of supporters to create a richer football experience wherever and however audiences follow the game.”

BBC Radio 5 Live will broadcast live commentary of 209 Premier League matches this season, as well as coverage from the Champions League, Scottish Premiership, FA Cup, men’s League Cup and international matches.

As well as Match of the Day’s Premier League coverage, BBC will broadcast two matches from each round of the FA Cup as well as one Bundesliga match every week on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app.

Highlights and clips will also be available from La Liga, Serie A, the Europa League and Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland’s international games.

Kelly Somer’s The Football Interview will continue on BBC iPlayer, BBC Football YouTube and the BBC Sport website and app, as well as on BBC One every Saturday from 12:45 BST.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Aston Villa signings: Goalkeeper Zion Suzuki and left-back Matteo Ruggeri join club

Published

on

Aston Villa have confirmed the signings of goalkeeper Zion Sukuki and left-back Matteo Ruggeri.

Japan international Suzuki makes the move to Villa Park from Italian side Parma for a fee in the region of £30m.

Italian full-back Ruggeri joins Villa in a deal worth £17m from La Liga side Atletico Madrid.

Suzuki, 23, joins despite Emi Martinez’s move to Juventus collapsing over the weekend, with the two clubs unable to agree a fee.

Martinez, who helped Villa win the Europa League in May and was victorious in the 2022 World Cup with Argentina, faces an uncertain future after his failed move to Juve.

Villa view 23-year-old Suzuki as their long-term number one, potentially for the next decade.

He had been at Parma for two years, making 59 appearances for the Serie A side and helping them finish 13th last season.

Ruggeri, 24, who is yet to be capped at senior level for Italy, comes in to replace Lucas Digne – who signed for European champions Paris St-Germain on 9 August.

A Europa League winner with Atalanta in 2024, Ruggeri made over 100 appearances for the Serie A side before completing a transfer to Atletico last summer.

Both could make their debuts in Sunday’s Premier League opener at Brighton.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Nick Kyrgios provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for cocaine

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for cocaine.

The Australian submitted a sample during the Mallorca Open on 22 June that was later found to contain benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

Former world number 13 Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended, external since 4 August.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency said Kyrgios could appeal against the provisional suspension “but has not done so to date”.

In a post on Instagram, Kyrgios said he made “a huge mistake” and takes “full responsibility” for it.

Under the suspension, Kyrgios cannot play, coach at or attend Grand Slams or any events sanctioned by the men’s and women’s tennis tours.

The 31-year-old has played just four singles matches this season, having struggled with knee and wrist injuries in recent years.

He last played in the men’s doubles at Wimbledon, where he and partner Alexander Bublik lost in the first round.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Red Bull’s Isack Hadjar set to miss Dutch GP with wrist injury

Published

on

Red Bull Formula 1 driver Isack Hadjar is set to miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort with a wrist injury.

It emerged on Wednesday morning that the 21-year-odl had picked up the injury ahead of the first race back from F1’s summer break — with sources, speaking on condition of anonymity to protect relationships, confirming to The Athletic that he was set to miss the weekend.

Red Bull is yet to make an announcement on the matter, but Hadjar’s absence would most likely open the door for Liam Lawson, who drives for the sister Racing Bulls team, to step in alongside Max Verstappen.

Lawson moving up would then allow for Yuki Tsunoda, who lost his Red Bull seat to Hadjar at the end of last year, to return to the grid by slotting in at Racing Bulls next to rookie Arvid Lindblad. Tsunoda serves as Red Bull’s reserve driver.

As recently as Monday, Hadjar was anticipated to be racing this weekend, with Red Bull promoting his special edition helmet for the final edition of the Dutch GP on social media.

The 21-year-old scored the only podium of his F1 career to date at Zandvoort last year during his rookie season, when he was driving for Racing Bulls.

The performance was the peak of Hadjar’s strong rookie season, which prompted Red Bull to promote him to its senior squad for 2026 alongside Verstappen in place of the struggling Tsunoda.

Tsunoda himself had got the nod at Red Bull in the early part of last year after the team axed Lawson just two races into the season due to his on-track struggles.

Lawson spent much of last year rebuilding his form before embarking on an solid campaign to date at Racing Bulls, where he has scored points in eight of the first 11 races, including best finishes of sixth in Canada and Great Britain.

Should Lawson get the call-up to drive for Red Bull this weekend, it would give him a chance to compete further up the order in a more competitive car and build on his impressive start to the year.

Importantly, a strong performance would also go some way to prove how much has changed for Lawson since his ill-fated two-race stint alongside Verstappen in early 2025.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.