Connect with us

Sports

Arsenal CEO says Ethan Nwaneri, Myles Lewis-Skelly could leave for ‘right opportunity’

Published

on

Arsenal CEO Richard Garlick says the north London side would consider selling Ethan Nwaneri and Myles Lewis-Skelly but are “not actively looking” for a move.

The futures of the 19-year-old academy graduates have been the subject of speculation, given there are expected to be departures from the Emirates before the end of the window on September 1.

Garlick said on Wednesday that Arsenal are “very, very happy” with Lewis-Skelly and he thinks Nwaneri has had a “great” preseason but “if the right opportunity came up”, transfers away from north London would not be off the table.

The CEO also said it was “only a matter of time” before Mikel Arteta signs a new contract, which he is “sure … will be resolved very shortly”.

Lewis-Skelly started and played a starring role in the Community Shield win over Manchester City, registering one assist, and The Athletic reported on August 11 he wanted to stay at the Emirates and is not exploring a move. He is likely to be pushed down the midfield pecking order, however, after the £75million ($101m) signing of Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle United.

Nwaneri, however, did not make Mikel Arteta’s matchday squad after spending the last half of the 2025-26 campaign on loan at Marseille. The Athletic reported on Tuesday that his situation was delicate, as the league champions accept his pathway could be congested.

“There’s been a lot of speculation around players,” said Garlick, per the BBC. “I can’t stop other clubs being interested. I think Myles (Lewis-Skelly) has had a fantastic end to last season and has started this one really well — we’re very, very happy with him.

“Ethan has had a great pre-season as well, and I think it’s just a case of looking at what opportunities there are that will help both of those in terms of their career moving forward. We are not actively looking at selling those homegrown players but if the right opportunity came up — right for them and the club — we’d obviously consider that.”

Lewis-Skelly signed a long-term contract with Arsenal last summer and has made 76 senior appearances since breaking into the first team during the 2024-25 season. Nwaneri has played 51 first-team games before moving to Ligue 1 on loan, where he started only three league games.

He has featured as a midfielder in each of Arsenal’s five preseason matches, scoring two goals, but Arteta last week expressed uncertainty over his future given he “needs to play football”.

Meanwhile, Garlick expressed confidence in the head coach’s future — despite his contract having only one year left on it.

“Mikel wants to be at Arsenal, we want Mikel at Arsenal,” he said. “It’s only a matter of time before we put that into a new contract. Everyone is very confident and calm. We’re just navigating a transfer window and I’m sure Mikel’s contract will be resolved very shortly.”


Will this be comforting for Arsenal fans?

Analysis by Arsenal correspondent James McNicholas

Arsenal fans will be reassured to hear Garlick echoing Arteta’s stance on a new contract for the manager — both have said that it’s effectively a matter of finding the time to sort the extension.

They’ll be reassured too that Arsenal are not “actively looking” to sell their academy products.  It’s clear, however, that Arsenal may be open to the possibility if the “right opportunity” arises. That’s largely a consequence of the regulatory environment – the sale of an academy player would be booked as pure profit.

It’s inevitable that players as gifted as Lewis-Skelly and Nwaneri will attract interest from elsewhere. With Arsenal now competing at the elite end of the sport, it’s more difficult than ever for academy talent to establish themselves.

In Lewis-Skelly’s case, he is currently making regular contributions to the first team. Nwaneri’s pathway looks more complex, which may make him more likely to depart.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho told Vinicius Jr it was not worth leaving Spanish club

Published

on

Jose Mourinho told Vinicius Jr it was “not worth” leaving Real Madrid as he successfully persuaded the Brazilian to remain at the club.

The 26-year-old had entered the final 12 months of his contract at the Bernabeu, meaning he would have been able to leave Real for free next summer.

Premier League champions Arsenal were alerted to the possibility of landing one of the world’s top wingers as contract talks wore on but Vinicius Jr eventually committed his future to Real earlier this month by signing a six-year contract.

And Mourinho, 63, whose return to Real for a second stint in charge was confirmed in June, spoke of his part in keeping the Brazil international in the Spanish capital.

Mourinho said on Spanish TV show El Chiringuito: “Vinicius has fallen in love with Real Madrid.

“The only thing I told him was: ‘Vini, where do you want to go? You’ve only been in Brazil and you only know Real Madrid. You only understand Real Madrid when you leave. When you leave that’s when you realise what Real Madrid is. Don’t leave. It’s not worth it.’

“I think what he has felt in terms of the group’s growth, the way we’ve been working and developing, has given him a very important feeling.”

Mourinho came up against Real three times in the Champions League last season, when he was manager of Benfica.

During their second meeting – the first leg of their knockout phase play-off – Real players alleged that Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni racially abused Vinicius, resulting in the match stopping for around eight minutes.

Prestianni denied the claims and Mourinho defended his player.

Uefa later banned Prestianni for three matches, with a further three suspended, for homophobic conduct.

Mourinho addressed the incident and said Vinicius can “rely on me to be on his side”.

“Prestianni was my player. That’s it. There’s no debate. If Prestianni is my player, 20 players can come at me and I’m still with Prestianni. End of story,” he said.

“I think Vini now knows what side I am now on and knows he can look me in the eye and rely on me to be on his side.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Leeds sign Nico Elvedi from Borussia Monchengladbach

Published

on

Leeds United have completed the signing of defender Nico Elvedi from Borussia Monchengladbach in an £8.5m deal.

The Swiss international, 29, will reunite with Whites boss Daniel Farke, who managed the Bundesliga side in 2022-23.

Borussia Monchengladbach have accepted an offer worth an initial £6.8m, with a further £1.7m in add-ons.

Elvedi spent 11 years with Monchengladbach, making 364 appearances for the German club.

He has earned 73 caps for his native Switzerland, playing every minute of their recent run to the quarter-finals of the World Cup.

Elvedi is Leeds‘ fourth signing of the summer transfer window, following James Trafford, Harry Wilson and fellow defender Tarik Muharemovic.

His arrival at the club allowed Sebastiaan Bornauw to leave Elland Road and sign for Hamburg on a season-long loan.

Earlier on Wednesday, striker Joel Piroe joined West Ham on a season-long loan.

Leeds begin their Premier League campaign with a trip to Nottingham Forest on Saturday (15:00 BST).

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Arsenal transfer news: Aston Villa and England defender Ezri Konsa remains Gunners’ target

Published

on

Arsenal are accelerating their interest in Aston Villa defender Ezri Konsa.

Various sources have indicated that there is some optimism an agreement for the England international to move to Emirates Stadium is possible.

Konsa is Arsenal‘s first choice defensive target but so far the Premier League champions have not met Villa’s £60m valuation.

BBC Sport revealed last week that Arsenal had reopened talks with Villa over a deal for Konsa but still fell short of reaching an agreement.

The Gunners then appeared to pivot to Bayer Leverkusen’s Jarrell Quansah.

However, Arsenal have refocused their efforts on Konsa with a sense now the deal will get completed.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.