Sports
Referee chief Howard Webb ‘really troubled’ by FIFA’s Folarin Balogun red-card decision
English football’s refereeing chief Howard Webb has said FIFA’s decision to suspend U.S. striker Folarin Balogun’s one-game ban during this summer’s World Cup “really troubled” him, as it will encourage more conspiracy theories about contentious decisions.
Balogun, 25, received a red card during the co-host’s round-of-32 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina on July 1 after a challenge on defender Tarik Muharemovic.
The tackle was seen by many as more clumsy than malicious but any debate about the dismissal itself was soon overtaken by the global storm that broke when FIFA overturned his suspension and it later emerged that U.S. President Donald Trump had spoken to FIFA boss Gianni Infantino about the decision.
FIFA strongly denied that Trump’s call had any impact on the call to let Balogun play in the round-of-16 game against Belgium on July 6, saying it was taken by its disciplinary committee in accordance with FIFA rules, but that did not stop Trump from claiming credit for the ruling.
American fans, U.S. Soccer and Balogun’s coach Mauricio Pochettino all welcomed the decision, but it provoked a combination of confusion and consternation elsewhere. There was also widespread sympathy for Belgium and a sense of justice being served when the European side thrashed the USMNT 4-1.
USMNT fans react to the Balogun news
Henry Bushnell
Some might say that should be the end of the matter but Webb, the chief refereeing officer for Pro Ref, the body responsible for match officials in the English professional game (formerly known as PGMOL), is worried the affair will have a negative impact on his staff and referees everywhere.
Speaking to reporters at a season-launch event at the Premier League’s headquarters in London on Wednesday, Webb said: “I was really troubled by it. I don’t know all the ins and out of the process but what do we know?
“We know a red card was shown — you can form an opinion about the validity of the red card but I understand why it was given. We know there was pressure placed by a politician on FIFA, because that was admitted. And we know that a suspension was taken away through a process that seemingly didn’t exist before.”
Webb, a former policeman who became one of the top referees in world football, explained that officials have no problem with decisions they made on the field being subject to properly set-out review processes.
“Where I was troubled by it is that we live in a world that’s different to when I refereed,” he continued.
“Decisions were previously considered correct or incorrect based on your judgement. Far too often now, decisions are viewed as correct or corrupt by people on social media who try to draw inferences around decisions they don’t agree with. They question the motivation of that decision, with no facts or evidence.
“When you get (the Balogun) type of situation, it opens up space for people to say ‘ah ha, this sort of thing happens all the time’. But it really doesn’t.”
Asked if he feared this would lead to more online abuse of match officials, Webb said: “It doesn’t help does it? It was admitted, it happened.
“I don’t want to get into all the talk about FIFA but, of all the things people have talked about, that’s the thing that troubles me the most – that’s the thing that affects the 90 minutes, the game. The fact that that influence can be had.
“That’s just really not reflective of the game I know. The game is the game.”
Balogun’s challenge on Bosnian defender Tarik Muharemovic ended in a global controversy. (Michael Steele / Getty Images)
Webb’s comment about “all the talk about FIFA” is a reference to the remarkable events of last few weeks, which have seen Infantino’s hold over the international governing body thrown into serious question by his attempt to sell a stake in FIFA’s competitions, including the World Cup, to a group of private investors led by Joshua Kushner, the brother of Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.
Premier League chief executive Richards Masters sees the furore around the Balogun affair as just another example of FIFA’s structural problems and poor governance.
“When looking back at the World Cup, we should be talking about the football that was played, Spain being obviously the best team and England’s agonising semi-final defeat,” he said.
“But we’re not — we’re talking about other issues and I think that’s a huge shame. The Balogun issue stands alone as an incident that is very difficult to comprehend. I think it’s another self-inflicted moment.
“Why don’t FIFA have a red-card review process, like most leagues, that can review a miscarriage of justice — and I’m not saying Balogun was a miscarriage justice — but it can be dealt with on that basis, as opposed to the FIFA system which is about how long the suspension should be. There’s no option to overturn the card, which is what created the controversy.”
>
Sports
McInnes' Rangers serve up stodgy 12-course banquet of huff and puff
Rangers beat Jablonec in the first leg of their Conference League play-off, but it wasn’t a pretty watch, writes Tom English.
>
Sports
Ronaldinho: Brazil legend in comeback with Italian side Ravenna aged 46
Brazil great Ronaldinho said he hopes he can score his 300th career goal after announcing a comeback at the age of 46 at Italian third-tier side Ravenna.
Thousands of fans gathered at a city beach for an event dubbed “Ronaldinho Day”, enduring rain to witness the unveiling of the former Paris St-Germain, Barcelona and AC Milan playmaker, who retired from playing in 2015.
“I’m very happy to be here with friends, we have a team that can do something good,” said Ronaldinho, who will become a shareholder in the Serie C side.
“Will you see me play? I don’t know, only the coach knows that. Coming back to Italy is wonderful, I’m here to help my teammates win.
“As you can see, I’m in shape, I feel good… If I could score my 300th goal, that would be even more beautiful.”
Ronaldinho ended his career in September 2015 when he played his last official match with Brazilian club Fluminense.
He won the World Cup in 2002, scoring the winning goal in the quarter-final against England, and the Ballon d’Or in 2005.
The forward’s comeback was first announced in June by Ignazio Cipriani, an Italian-American businessman and owner of the club since 2024, while he was attending the World Cup in Miami.
“His objective is romantic, to try to score his last goal,” said Cipriani on Thursday.
“His involvement is not a token gesture or a marketing stunt to get people talking about us.”
Cipriani added that Ronaldinho would not play against Reggiana on Monday in the Serie C season opener.
Ravenna finished third in Group B of last season’s third-tier championship and are seeking a return to Serie B, where they haven’t played since 2008.
>
Sports
Acun Ilicali: Hull owner hits out at pundits over ‘laughable’ criticism
Hull City owner Acun Ilicali has criticised pundits Joe Cole and Carlton Cole after they mocked his side’s chances of Premier League survival on a podcast.
Speaking on The Dressing Room podcast, former England and Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole said he had turned down the chance to be a pundit for their opening match – adding he would be “stunned if they stayed up”.
He joked: “They’ve come here through the back door. They’ve slipped in.”
Hull achieved promotion to the Premier League with a last-minute win over Middlesbrough in the play-off final at Wembley in May.
This season will be Hull’s first in the Premier League since 2017. They only survived relegation from the Championship to League One on goal difference in 2025.
Writing on social media, Ilicali said: “It is disappointing to see my beautiful city criticised by people who should know better.
“As a club we are used to being underestimated and we enjoy it, and we enjoyed it more when were promoted last season.
“For me, seeing two ex-players making fun of a deservedly promoted club, is more laughable than the things they were laughing at.”
On Thursday, Hull boss Sergej Jakirovic also addressed the issue.
“It is a great motivation to prove them wrong, if it’s possible,” he said.
“It will not be easy but at least we can fight there. We don’t have anything to lose. You play for yourself, and you show your potential on the pitch.”
Later Carlton Cole, who played for Chelsea and West Ham and made seven England appearances, posted a video defending the comments on the podcast, calling it “banter” saying he “loved Hull City“.
Hull, who have spent £70m on new signings this summer, play Manchester United on Saturday in their opening Premier League fixture.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
