Connect with us

Sports

Panthers TE Darren Waller says his conditioning is ‘night and day’ better than year ago

Published

on

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Darren Waller finally signed with the Carolina Panthers on Monday, five days after his agent called the veteran tight end and told him he’d found a team for him.

Waller worked on the side during Monday’s practice, held in sweltering temperatures, and isn’t expected to do much Wednesday when the Panthers practice against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Still, Panthers coach Dave Canales liked what he saw when the soon-to-be 34-year-old arrived at training camp.

“He looks like he’s in phenomenal shape,” Canales said. “He was leaking (sweat) out here. This is a different kind of 117 (heat) index than Vegas is, where he lives. He mentioned that. He’s soaking wet. But it was a good opportunity to see where he’s at.”

Waller said his conditioning level is “night and day” from last summer, when he didn’t decide until June to end his one-year retirement and play again. Waller tore his quad two weeks into the Miami Dolphins’ camp and ended up missing eight games with three different injuries.

Darren Waller wasn’t surprised he had to wait this long for his opportunity

Waller said he started his offseason training this year the day after the Super Bowl. But he still had to wait until mid-August for a team to call. “Anybody that offered me a job, I was gonna play,” he said.

That somebody was the Panthers, who were looking to add to their tight end mix with a proven pass catcher whose size-speed combo brings a different look to their passing game.

“You can play him like a tight end, you can play him like a receiver. He’s huge. Just standing with him out there, he’s all of 6-6 and a half. He’s lean. He can run. All those things,” Canales said.

“It’s a unique element that he brings to whatever offense he’s been a part of. The goal is just throw him into that room, challenge that room and see which guys want to elevate and create that role for Bryce (Young).”

Waller spent the first part of Monday’s practice doing conditioning exercises with running back Chuba Hubbard, edge rusher Cam Gill and a few other injured players. He congratulated Tommy Tremble after a catch in team drills, and picked the tight ends’ brains for help in learning the playbook.

“The script sheet looks like Mandarin Chinese to me right now,” he said. “But soon it’ll be something that I understand a lot more.”

Waller, who turns 34 in September, said teams were probably scared off by his age and durability concerns after his season in Miami, where he caught only 24 passes but took six in for touchdowns.

“Sometimes it can be like, damn, I’m doing all this work since the day after the Super Bowl, when is it gonna happen? But uncertainty’s kind of the name of the game,” Waller said. “I’m new to this free-agent situation. But it is what it was. I’m grateful that it happened in the timing that it did.”

One of Waller’s best games last year came in Week 5 at Bank of America Stadium. The former Georgia Tech receiver caught five passes for 78 yards and a TD — all in the first half — in the Panthers’ 27-24 victory.

Canales indicated the Panthers plan to break Waller in slowly. He won’t participate in team drills against the Jags, but could see individual work so he can begin to develop timing with Young.

Based on his offseason training, Waller is confident he can still be a downfield threat.

“I was able this year to get back to places I feel like explosive-wise, top speed-wise, getting out of routes, just as good as I have any point in my career. So that’s very encouraging,” he said. “Just to be able to move the way that I’m moving at my age, I feel like it’s a blessing.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Eagles training camp: Sean Mannion reviews preseason debut, DeVonta Smith returns

Published

on

PHILADELPHIA — Sights for sore eyes were plentiful on Monday.

The starters for the Philadelphia Eagles were back on the field after Saturday’s uninspiring performance by the reserves. Better still: DeVonta Smith practiced with limitations after missing nearly two weeks with a hamstring injury. The team’s No. 1 receiver participated in stretches and individual drills, but did not take part in team drills. (Players wore helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts in Monday’s practice).

It is not yet certain if Smith will be a full participant in Wednesday and Thursday’s joint practices with the New England Patriots. Smith’s availability in Week 1 is primary, and his Monday return suggests that is more than plausible.

How Eagles can tighten up on offense

Zach Berman and Brooks Kubena

Still, the Eagles seem closer to full strength against the Patriots. Cooper DeJean (groin) and Quinyon Mitchell (glute) both participated in team drills after missing Thursday’s practice. Saquon Barkley, who had his left foot/ankle checked on before exiting Thursday’s practice, also took part in team drills. Rookie safety Cole Wisniewski (hamstring) even made his training camp debut — and had a few snaps with the first-team rotation.

Their collective participation in joint practices, along with the rest of the first-team members, could go a long way toward cleansing the palate after the dismal debut of first-time offensive coordinator Sean Mannion’s system. The bottom of the offense’s depth chart fielded seven three-and-outs, which did not echo progress from the top. However, the starters have yet to play, and Mannion has yet to assemble a true in-season game plan with the full playbook available.

Mannion said the Eagles “kept things pretty close to the vest” schematically. He said that game planning was “secondary” to evaluating depth players within fundamental concepts. Still, he acknowledged the Eagles “have things that obviously need to be corrected” — most notably, eliminating the sort of penalties that killed their drives. The Eagles totaled five holding penalties, all on first or second down.

Otherwise, Mannion said there “weren’t a ton of mental errors” against the Baltimore Ravens. He was also “very happy with the process” of calling plays for the first time. He said his operation on the sideline was “smooth” and “comfortable.” There were no substitution issues. No jacked-up play calls. No rushed moments against the play clock. The Eagles did not have any plays in which the ball was snapped with one second left on the play clock, per TruMedia. The Eagles led the NFL with 150 last-second plays in 2025.

Mannion confirmed he will move from the sideline to the booth for Saturday’s preseason game in New England “to get a feel for both” vantage points. Mannion, 34, is a former quarterback who spent his college career at Oregon State and his nine-year NFL career on the sideline. He spent his first year coaching in the booth as an offensive assistant for the Green Bay Packers in 2024, then moved back to the sideline as their quarterbacks coach in 2025.

“I just kind of want to experience it once,” Mannion said. “I think it will offer good perspective.”
The Eagles have a closed walkthrough scheduled at their team facility on Tuesday. Their first joint practice with the Patriots begins at 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday.

Top takeaways from Day 12 of Eagles training camp

  • Michael Carter II recorded his second interception of training camp. He picked off Jalen Hurts in team drills on a deep pass over the middle intended for Quez Watkins. Marcus Epps still appears to have the edge in the position battle at safety opposite Drew Mukuba. Epps did not suit up Saturday and went first with the first-team unit in team drills on Monday. But defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has said Carter has been “progressing nicely” at safety. It is worth remembering Jalyx Hunt led the 2025 Eagles with three interceptions. Carter is only helping his cause by forcing another turnover.
  • Rookie safety Cole Wisniewski made his training camp debut after being sidelined with a hamstring injury. The seventh-rounder out of Texas Tech practiced under limitations, but still had reps with both the first- and second-team units. Wisniewski must make up for lost time and challenge Andre’ Sam, J.T. Gray and Maximus Pulley for reps.
  • Linebacker Chance Campbell returned to practice after watching Saturday’s preseason opener from the sidelines. Campbell practiced four times under limitations last week with a groin injury. Those who did not practice on Monday: Jakorian Bennett (knee), Tank Bigsby (toe), Grant Calcaterra (back), Jonathan Jones (shoulder), Makai Lemon (hamstring), Mac McWilliams (groin), John Ojukwu (pectoral), Dameon Pierce (hamstring), Jose Ramirez (hamstring), Shaun Wade (eye/shoulder), Johnny Wilson (knee).
  • Rookie tight end Eli Stowers totaled 19 offensive snaps against the Ravens. He totaled 10 plays in 12 personnel packages, according to TruMedia. His usage in two-tight end looks is notable. Blocking is not the rookie’s strength. But the Eagles are using the preseason to develop those skills. “We’re going to ask all of these guys to be productive players in both phases,” Mannion said. “And the preseason is a great opportunity to push these guys, evaluate what they can do, give them things to work on every day in practice, and see them take it to the game. I know Eli has put in a lot of work in improving as a blocker, and in that entire position group there is a huge commitment to be productive in both areas.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Football gossip: Fernandez, Neto, Casado, Fernandes, Barcola, Mbaye, Kane

Published

on

Manchester City are faced with an Enzo Fernandez premium, Chelsea winger Pedro Neto has no shortage of potential suitors, and Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes is offered a huge salary increase.

Manchester City will have to pay Chelsea more than £120m to land Argentina midfielder Enzo Fernandez if they try to complete a deal in the final two weeks of the transfer window. (Telegraph – subscription required), external

Chelsea want close to £100m if they are to sell Portugal winger Pedro Neto, 26, this summer with Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal linked with a move. (Mail – subscription required), external

Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham are all also interested in Neto, who joined Chelsea for £54m from Wolves in 2024. (Metro), external

Manchester United have been offered the chance to sign Spain midfielder Marc Casado, 22, who Barcelona have put up for sale. (Sport – in Spanish), external

Despite Manchester United‘s reluctance to sell, Galatasaray have offered Portugal midfielder Bruno Fernandes £18.3m per season – double his current salary – to tempt him away from Old Trafford. (Telegraph – subscription required) , external

Liverpool are still keen to sign Paris St-Germain duo Bradley Barcola, 23, and Ibrahim Mbaye, 18, with a combined fee of £155m being mooted for the France winger and Senegal forward. (Teamtalk), external

Bayern Munich are confident of agreeing a new deal with England forward Harry Kane, 33, who is entering the final year of his contract. (Bild – in German), external

Como have made an offer to take Fiorentina and Italy forward Moise Kean, 26, on loan with an obligation to buy in a package worth £25m. (La Gazzetta dello Sport – in Italian), external

Leeds have given Suriname striker Joel Piroe, 27, permission to travel to West Ham for a medical. (Sky Sports), external

AC Milan have agreed a £34m deal to sign Belgium winger Diego Moreira, 22, from Strasbourg. (Corriere dello Sport – in Italian), external

Sao Paulo and West Ham are among the clubs taking an interest in 39-year-old former England forward Jamie Vardy, who is a free agent. (Talksport), external

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Mavericks, Stars resolve dispute, plan to stay in American Airlines Center through 2031

Published

on

The outside of the American Airlines Center in April. The scoreboard shows the Dallas Stars logo.

The American Airlines Center will remain the home of the Mavs and Stars, at least for now. Stacy Revere / Getty Images

The Dallas Mavericks are no longer engaged in a legal battle with their co-tenant at American Airlines Center, the Dallas Stars.

On Monday, the Mavericks and Stars released a joint statement saying they had put their issues behind them.

“The Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars have reached an agreement that resolves the outstanding matters between the two organizations,” the statement read. “American Airlines Center will continue to serve as the home of both teams at least through the 2030–31 season.”

Tensions between the teams became public in October when it was revealed that the Mavericks had filed a petition for injunctive relief over what they said was a breach of contract.

Dusty May leaving for pros is familiar for Michigan fans

Austin Meek

The Mavericks alleged that the Stars agreed in 1998 to keep their team headquarters within Dallas city limits — an agreement the Stars had been in violation of since 2003, when the team’s headquarters opened in Frisco — and that the Stars weren’t paying their fair share of renovations needed to maintain American Airlines Center, the building in Dallas’ Victory Park neighborhood that the teams have shared since 2001.

The Mavericks and Stars will continue playing at American Airlines Center for the next five seasons, but both teams appear headed elsewhere shortly thereafter.

In June, the Mavericks entered into an option agreement to purchase 104 acres at the former Valley View Mall in North Dallas. The Mavericks’ intention is to move into a new arena that they own ahead of the 2031-32 NBA season.

The Stars, meanwhile, could leave Dallas entirely. In June, the Stars said that they had signed a letter of intent to move forward in developing a sports and entertainment district in Plano, a suburb roughly 25 miles north of downtown Dallas. Under this plan, Plano taxpayers could cover as much as $700 million of what’s expected to be a $1 billion project.

The Mavericks have been involved in multiple lawsuits since Patrick Dumont and Miriam Adelson bought a majority share in the team from Mark Cuban in December 2023. In July, Cuban’s lawyers filed a Rule 202 petition in which he alleged that he was entitled to information being withheld from him in the Mavericks’ bid to develop a new arena and sports entertainment district. The back-and-forth between Cuban’s and Dumont’s lawyers died down in August, when Cuban withdrew his petition.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.