Sports
Premier League monitoring ball chip technology with view for potential future use
The Premier League has observed and evaluated ball chip technology in competitive matches as the league considers its possible future use.
Connected Ball technology uses a sensor embedded inside the ball to identify the precise moment it is touched, providing officials with additional data for situations such as on offsides, handballs, deflections and double touches.
Sources briefed on the matter told The Athletic that Premier League representatives observed the technology at the FIFA Women’s Champions Cup in London in January and at the 2025 Wings Cup youth tournament at RB Leipzig, where it was used with Puma balls. The system has not yet been trialled during a Premier League fixture.
Spain’s La Liga will become the first national professional football competition to deploy Connected Ball technology across every match this season. La Liga’s system uses radio-frequency sensors developed by German technology company KINEXON Sports and integrated into Puma match balls, with data transmitted to around 12 antennas installed at each stadium.
Sources added that there are no immediate plans for the introduction of Connected Ball technology in the Premier League, where the existing semi-automated offside system can determine when the ball is played without an internal sensor, but the league will continue to monitor its use elsewhere.
The Premier League’s existing system relies on optical tracking, using up to 30 cameras around each stadium to follow the ball and thousands of data points on every player before suggesting a kick point and automatically generating offside lines for VAR.
When the system was introduced in April 2025, the Premier League said a sensor inside the ball was not required because its optical tracking could determine when the ball had been played. A chip inside the ball would provide a separate measurement of that moment of contact.
Connected Ball technology has previously been used with Adidas balls at major international tournaments including the 2022 and 2026 men’s World Cups, the 2023 Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024, Women’s Euro 2025 and the 2025 Club World Cup.
The technology was seen being utilised at this summer’s World Cup, including to disallow a late Croatia equaliser in their last-32 loss to Portugal by detecting that the ball had flicked off striker Igor Matanovic in the build up, before landing to midfielder Mario Pasalic in an offside position.
Puma has supplied Premier League match balls since the start of the 2025-26 season, taking over from Nike, and is also La Liga’s official ball supplier.
>
Sports
Falcons not feeling pressure to name starting quarterback, but clock is ticking
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — The Atlanta Falcons are three weeks into training camp and about to head to Indianapolis for two joint practices against the Colts. And it doesn’t sound like they are any closer to naming a starting quarterback than they were when training camp began in July.
“I am very comfortable with where we are right now, and that’s kind of where I will leave it,” coach Kevin Stefanski said Monday. “We are continuing on our process, keeping the main thing the main thing, which is the practices this week.”
Tua Tagovailoa started Friday’s preseason opener and had a chance to build a lead over Michael Penix Jr. in the competition, but Tagovailoa finished 3-for-5 for 22 yards and led the offense to just one first down in two series.
“Obviously we evaluate everything that our players do, on the field, in the meeting room,” Stefanski said. “He wants to be better. Our offense wants to be better. Our coaches want to be better, but our focus will be on continuing to get ready for this season and not getting too far ahead of ourselves. We want to be where our feet are.”
Drake London breaks down film, space vs. leverage, Kevin Stefanski and more
Robert Mays
Tagovailoa described himself as “frustrated and disappointed” with his performance.
“You have to make use of every opportunity you have, and that’s not what we did,” he said. “Definitely not up to standard. I have to be better for our guys.”
Tagovailoa would like to play in Saturday’s second preseason game against the Colts, but the starters won’t play because they’ll be getting so much work during the joint practices, Stefanski said.
Penix is still being held out of 11-on-11 practice work and games while he rehabs the torn ACL he suffered in Week 11 last year. He will continue with his current practice regimen — working in individual drills and seven-on-seven work — and Stefanski and Indianapolis head coach Shane Steichen have built in time during each of the two practices to make sure Penix can participate.
There is no timetable for naming a starter, Stefanski said Monday, and that’s not the only decision the Falcons have to make at the position. With veteran Cooper Rush and undrafted free agent Jack Strand also in camp, Atlanta will have to decide by Aug. 30 whether it wants to keep two or three quarterbacks on its opening 53-man roster.
“I have been a part of doing it both ways, but I think you have to take everything into account. Can you afford the luxury of keeping those guys? Sometimes you can. Sometimes you can’t,” Stefanski said.
The Falcons haven’t decided if Rush or Strand will start Saturday’s game in Indianapolis. Either player could be put on the practice squad if he doesn’t make the 53-man roster, but other teams could claim them.
Strand was 6-of-12 for 50 yards and had one rushing touchdown in his NFL debut on Friday.
“Always room for improvement, but proud of him for his first time out there,” Stefanski said. “It’s a testament to him and what he was able to do early in camp when he was the one guy standing there. Like any rookie, (there’s) so much to work on. And that’s the fun part of working with our rookies. Jack’s got a great attitude. Love how he is in the meeting rooms, love how he is on the grass.”
“It was pretty cool,” Strand said. “It was a little different from playing in a Division II stadium (he played in college at Minnesota State Moorhead), but it’s the same game I’ve been playing since I was 6 years old.”
>
Sports
Hendrick Motorsports signs star NASCAR prospect Connor Zilisch, starting in 2028
Connor Zilisch is headed to Hendrick Motorsports, as the powerhouse NASCAR team announced Monday it has signed the 20-year-old driver to a multi-year deal that begins with the 2028 season.
Zilisch, considered one of the sport’s most talented prospects, will drive the team’s No. 48 Ally-sponsored Chevrolet in NASCAR’s premier Cup Series, replacing Alex Bowman, who has already announced that the 2027 season will be his last as a full-time competitor.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed, only that Zilisch and Hendrick had reached a “multi-year agreement” to join the Rick Hendrick-owned organization that has won more championships than any other.
Ty Gibbs survives late charge from Christopher Bell to win at Iowa Speedway
“This is one of those moments you dream about as a kid,” Zilisch said in a statement. “Hendrick Motorsports has always represented the standard in our sport and being entrusted to help continue that legacy means everything to me.”
Zilisch began racing at 5, and it wasn’t long before he established himself as an emerging young talent. He moved from North Carolina at 11 to race go-karts in Europe, and his success there — winning a major race in Italy against a field that included current Formula One championship points leader Kimi Antonelli and winning the FIA Karting Academy Trophy in 2020 — seemingly put Zilisch on a path to F1.
But a lack of funding meant Zilisch had to pursue racing in a less expensive form of motorsport, so he turned his attention to NASCAR, and before long his ability caught the attention of numerous team owners. His stock only continued to climb in 2024 when he earned class victories in the prestigious Rolex 24 at Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring sports car races, then later that year won his debut race in NASCAR’s second-tier O’Reilly Auto Parts Series. Last year, Zilisch won 10 O’Reilly races and the regular-season points championship.
Zilisch advanced to Cup full-time this season, driving for Trackhouse Racing. He has one top-10 finish in 24 starts and currently ranks 34th in points. He will continue to drive for Trackhouse through the 2027 season before moving to Hendrick.
Zilisch and Hendrick’s link has been anticipated for some time, the only question being when. But the answer to this question came into focus this spring as Bowman weighed his future. Hendrick identified Zilisch as a leading candidate to succeed Bowman should they need to fill his spot on its four-driver roster. When Bowman announced last month that he would return to Hendrick for one final season, it increased the likelihood that Hendrick would move to have Zilisch take his place.
“Connor is a truly gifted young racer,” Rick Hendrick said in a statement. “His talent behind the wheel is exceptional, but I’m even more impressed by the person he is. When someone with that kind of ability and character becomes available, you do everything you can to bring them into your organization. We have tremendous confidence in Connor, and we believe he’s the right driver to build on the legacy of the No. 48 Ally team for many years to come.”
>
Sports
How to watch White Sox vs. Cubs: TV channel and streaming options for August 17
The Chicago White Sox will look to keep a three-game winning streak going when they visit the Chicago Cubs at 8:05 p.m. ET on Monday. Shota Imanaga (8-9, 3.74 ERA) will start for the Cubs, who are 72-53 this season and second in the NL Central. Luis Castillo (4-9, 4.96 ERA) is the expected starter for the White Sox, who are 65-58 and first in the AL Central.
How to watch Chicago White Sox vs. Chicago Cubs
White Sox vs. Cubs odds
- Favorite Moneyline: Cubs -169
- Underdog Moneyline: White Sox +140
- Total: 8
- Total Over Odds: -115
- Total Under Odds: -105
Injury reports
Cubs
Matt Shaw: 10 Day IL (Hand), Daniel Palencia: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Hoby Milner: 15 Day IL (Appendicitis), Gavin Hollowell: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Phil Maton: 15 Day IL (Knee), Riley Martin: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Porter Hodge: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Justin Steele: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Shelby Miller: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Hunter Harvey: 60 Day IL (Tricep), Cade Horton: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Christopher Austin: 60 Day IL (Knee), Ben Brown: 60 Day IL (Neck), Dansby Swanson: day-to-day (Side)
White Sox
Joey Bart: 10 Day IL (Hand), Kyle Teel: 10 Day IL (Ankle), Chris Murphy: 15 Day IL (Flexor), Davis Martin: 15 Day IL (Finger), Tanner Murray: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Prelander Berroa: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Ky Bush: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Mike Vasil: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Jordan Leasure: 60 Day IL (Flexor), Brooks Baldwin: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Drew Thorpe: 60 Day IL (Elbow)
Stats to know
- Chicago’s Pete Crow-Armstrong is slashing .276/.374/.533 this season with 28 home runs (9th in MLB), 75 RBIs (15th in MLB) and an OPS of .906 (6th in MLB). He has a 27.2% strikeout rate and an 11.7% walk rate in 555 plate appearances, and he has scored 87 total runs. Crow-Armstrong has recorded 30 steals on 37 attempts.
- In 557 plate appearances, Alex Bregman has hit 16 long balls, tallied 61 RBIs and scored 69 runs. He is batting .251/.343/.402 and has posted a 15.8% strikeout rate and an 11.1% walk rate.
- Chicago’s Miguel Vargas is slashing .239/.344/.491 this season with 28 home runs (9th in MLB), 72 RBIs and an OPS of .835. He has a 17.8% strikeout rate and a 12.8% walk rate in 533 plate appearances, and he has scored 83 total runs. Vargas has recorded 12 steals on 14 attempts.
- In 497 plate appearances, Chase Meidroth has slashed .278/.354/.416 this season. He has hit 12 long balls and driven in 49 runs with a strikeout rate of 22.3% and a walk rate of 9.9%. and has scored 71 runs.
This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.
Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.
Photo: Jamie Squire, Ishika Samant, Scott Taetsch, Alika Jenner / Getty Images
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
