Entertainment
Anne Hathaway Reacts to Julie Andrews Passing on Princess Diaries 3
Anne Hathaway is still leaving the door open for Julie Andrews to change her mind and come back for “The Princess Diaries 3,” but also wants to be “respectful” of the 90-year-old legend’s wishes.
“First of all, I just want to say, if she has a change of heart, we’re down,” Hathaway told Entertainment Tonight at D23 Expo this week.
“But we also want to be respectful. Like, she’s — for goodness sakes, if anybody’s contributed to the world of entertainment and to our collective joy, it’s her,” Hathaway gushed. “Whatever she wants, we completely understand.”
The actress, now 43 and recognized at the Disney fan experience in Anaheim on Sunday as an official Disney Legend, is coming back for “The Princess Diaries 3” as star and producer with director Adele Lim, the filmmaker behind the comedy “Joy Ride.” She admitted that the team “did push really hard to see if she would want to do it,” but ultimately it wasn’t in the cards.
Andrews confirmed her decision in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter earlier this month.
“I think the absolute truth is that I think I’m really past all that now,” Andrews said. “I’m not completely retired, but it’s a different kind of work that I do these days — [writing] books, and I do a lot of recording of podcasts and voiceovers. But truly, I don’t think I should be a part of it.”
Separately, “The Princess Diaries 3” got a promising update as Hathaway made the press rounds for “The Odyssey.” Speaking with Andy Cohen, she said that the long-awaited sequel is “moving in the right direction.”
“I’m busy making baby number three, and that has sort of taken the place of knowing exactly when I can make ‘Princess Diaries 3,’” Hathaway joked, while holding her baby bump, before revealing, “I can say I think we had a story breakthrough.”
“I think that we’re moving in the right direction. The script that we were working on had, you know, we kind of had to start over with this new direction, which is not the update I think anybody wants,” Hathaway added, noting, “But we all feel really good that this is going to be the one.”
Back on the D23 carpet with Entertainment Tonight on Sunday, the actress emphasized that at the end of the day, she just wants “it to be fun” for longtime fans of the Disney franchise.
“I want the women who were six when the first one came out — a lot of whom are now mothers themselves maybe even with six-year-olds — I want them to feel like they’re bringing their children to something that mattered to them, a core memory for them, something that was a part of their heart and their lives,” Hathaway shared. “And that means doing it justice and that means taking the time that it takes to build it right. That’s a lot of pressure, but I feel like this is a great team.”
>
Entertainment
Hayden Panettiere’s Death Probe Adds Drug Enforcement Agency
The Drug Enforcement Agency joined the probe into the death of actress Hayden Panettiere Wednesday, according to multiple media reports.
Sources told ABC News on Wednesday that the DEA is now assisting the Greenville City Police Department in South Carolina, which remains the lead investigative agency on the case. TMZ also reported that the DEA is assisting on parallel death investigations into Panettiere’s passing, as the Greenville police department and the coroner’s office are both currently investigating the matter.
Representatives for the DEA, Greenville police department and Panettiere did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.
However, the update did come a day after the local authorities shared details from the scene, which occurred at a private residence in Greenville where she was pronounced dead.
Per the report, an officer responded to an EMS assist request for an unresponsive individual on Sunday. The officer arrived at the residence in question, noting that Panettiere had been with her on-again, off-again boyfriend Brian Hickerson, as well as his brother, Zack, at the time of her passing.
The report noted that it was unknown if the actress had been using drugs or alcohol when she died. Though, the officer’s report said Brian had showed them a bag of medication she had been taking.
On Monday, the coroner’s office shared that Panettiere’s cause and manner of death “remain pending [amid] further investigation and the completion of additional studies.” However, per dispatch calls reviewed by People and TMZ, the event was called in by an Emergency Medical Service worker reporting an apparent overdose.
Panettiere, a veteran actress known for her work on “Heroes,” “Nashville,” the “Scream” franchise and “Remember the Titans,” was only 36. Her father, Skip Panettiere, shared word of her death Sunday night in a statement to media.
“It is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden,” he said at the time. “She was an incredible light and a force of nature who brought immeasurable love and joy to all who knew her — and to the millions who watched her onscreen.”
She is survived by her daughter Kaya, whom she shared with ex Wladimir Klitschko.
>
Entertainment
Palisades Fire Suspect Pleads Not Guilty to Revised Charges
The man accused of starting the Palisades Fire that destroyed thousands of homes in January 2025 pleaded not guilty to revised federal arson charges against him.
Jonathan Rinderknecht, 30, is accused of starting a fire along a hiking trail above Pacific Palisades on Jan. 1, 2025. The fire was not fully extinguished. Prosecutors allege that the small fire, fueled by strong Santa Ana winds, grew into the Palisades Fire, which killed 12 people and destroyed about 6,000 homes and other structures.
In the first trial in June, the jury came to a deadlocked 10-2 decision in favor of acquittal on all three felony counts. The prosecution characterized Rinderknecht’s New Year’s Day fire and the Palisades fire as a single, continuous event.
A federal judge declared a mistrial June 25 after jurors failed to reach a verdict following nearly two days of deliberations.
Rinderknecht was initially charged with three federal counts in connection with the fire, including destruction of property by fire, arson affecting property used in interstate commerce and setting timber afire.
The new indictment against the Uber driver narrows the case to two felony counts, dropping one of the charges he previously faced.
Rinderknecht was arrested in Florida nine months after the Palisades fire erupted.
In his closing statements of the June trial, Rinderknecht’s defense attorney Steven Haney argued that “this case is not about whether fire happened,” adding, “It’s about cause and integrity.”
“You might not like Jonathan at the end of this trial, but that doesn’t mean he’s guilty,” Haney added. “You’re not to convict a man if you don’t like him.”
Investigators found that the suspect was working as an Uber driver on New Year’s Eve, and that he parked and walked up a trail after dropping a passenger off in the Palisades. He allegedly took videos showing himself lighting objects on fire.
His retrial is scheduled to start Nov. 2.
>
Entertainment
HBO Emmy Campaign Perseverance Should Pay Off
The following article is an excerpt from the new edition of “IndieWire’s The Lead Up,” a weekly newsletter in which our Awards Editor Marcus Jones takes readers on the awards trail, interviewing key figures responsible for some of the most compelling stories of the season, and offering predictions on who will win. Subscribe here to receive the newsletter in your inbox each week.
Going into the week before final Emmys voting kicked off, if you asked me which nominee would win Outstanding Comedy Series, I would have said “Widow’s Bay.” To be second in Comedy nominations after only premiering in May (and with its final three episodes not even eligible this year) is quite the feat for Apple TV’s freshman horror comedy. However — and disclaimer: I say this not having gone to the show’s events at the Culver Hotel and the Hollywood Forever Cemetery — I’ve since changed tune.
For as much of said feat it was for “Widow’s Bay” to build that kind of momentum, I fear many of us have been overlooking how “Hacks,” in its final season, broke the record for most nominations for a single season of a comedy with 24 nods. The pioneering HBO Max has only won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series once, but it has been a major player in the comedy categories from the start of its run, winning three Emmys each year the show’s been eligible.
Recently, I talked to Television Academy President and CEO Maury McIntyre about the significance of having major Emmys frontrunners like “Hacks” star Jean Smart and the “South Park” creators as this year’s TV Academy Hall of Fame inductees, and how clips of Smart’s speech really proved to be resonant after the fact. But the event that really sealed the deal was the “Deborah Vance & Friends & Enemies Live!” concert at the Fonda Theatre in Hollywood, which happened last Friday, right before voting opened.
Smart and her fellow Emmy-nominated costars Hannah Einbinder, Paul W. Downs, Lauren Weedman, and Meg Stalter (via video message), all made appearances in character for the standup show that also incorporated sets from actual comedians Naomi Ekperigin and Pat Regan (a longtime writer on the show). The finale, in which Smart and Einbinder lip-synced to Barbra Streisand and Judy Garland duet “Get Happy/Happy Days Are Here Again” to close the series finale, did serve as a beautiful bookend to the whole “Hacks” experience.
But the aspect that felt the most pivotal to the Emmys conversation was the reminder that the award is for comedy.

I do easily believe people find “Widow’s Bay” to be funnier than “The Bear,” for example, but the Apple TV series transparently presents itself as a genre mashup. There are many moments where it’s downright scary. Having “Hacks” hammer that its ultimate goal is to really make the audience laugh is a strategy that helped the show best “The Bear” in 2024, even as the FX series ended up with a record amount of Emmy wins for a “comedy.”
So while “Widow’s Bay” has even more credence than said predecessor to call itself funny, this being the last moment to recognize “Hacks” may up the show’s significance even more in the eyes of voters.
And again, for due diligence, I did go to the “Widow’s Bay” panel at Televerse, the festival organized by the TV Academy, which had panels for five out of the eight Outstanding Comedy Series nominees. Knowing that it was one of the first panels to sell out across the board, I had been anticipating it being a fight to get into the room, but there was really not that type of Comic Con-level hysteria I expected. The room was full, but it did look like there were empty seats here and there. Nominated stars Matthew Rhys, Kate O’Flynn, Dale Dickey, Stephen Root, and Jeff Hiller were all very charming, to the point where I’d have them as frontrunners in their categories still, but I think “Hacks” just did a better job over the weekend with its messaging for why someone should vote for it to win Outstanding Comedy Series.
The other panels I went to at Televerse were for “Shrinking” and “Beef,” as I tried to gauge whether the event would do anything to boost the campaigns of nominees like Harrison Ford or Oscar Isaac or Charles Melton, who would all benefit from just one last blitz toward the Emmys finish line. However, I do feel like the festival was lacking that bit of encouraging energy. It was not an overwhelming amount of attendance, it was more a whelming amount of attendance. The rooms were just full enough.
What I found most interesting was that actors who received an Emmy nomination in spite of their shows not being nominated are pretty much screwed in terms of getting stage time at Televerse. For example, “Wonder Man” star Yahya Adbul-Mateen II is the sole nominee for his Disney+ series. If he wanted to participate in Televerse, the festival would not have a panel for the show, so he would need to find a different panel to participate in. However, the panels and workshops that are separate from the festival’s FYC programming hardly include any actors at all unless it’s a reunion like the ones staged for “Band of Brothers,” “Revenge,” etc. this year.

The only studio that found a way around the issue HBO, which had “Task” star Tom Pelphrey, who is in a similar boat as an Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series nominee for a show that did not receive an Outstanding Drama Series nomination, moderate the Televerse panel for fellow HBO series “DTF: St Louis,” an Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series nominee.
That is another small example of the ingenuity HBO showed over the final weekend before final Emmys voting opened. While it felt like other studios were bending to will of what feels like mandatory participation in Televerse, HBO both milked the event for all it was worth and took the risk of becoming counter-programming for it.
In addition to the “Hacks” stand-up event being on the same Friday that the festival started, HBO had its annual all-day Emmy Nominee Celebration on Sunday, the closing day of Televerse. While Televerse takes place at the J.W. Marriott in Downtown Los Angeles, in an area really only accessible by car or train, the HBO event occurred right in the center of Hollywood at Nya Studios.
Whether it was the programming itself, or the more central location, the Emmy Nominee Celebration had that effect of eager audience members spilling out the aisles to see a panel that I was looking for when judging the efficacy of a show’s presentation at Televerse. Obviously, there was a ton of interest in “The Pitt” and “Hacks,” which have both already won the Emmys for Outstanding Drama Series and Outstanding Comedy Series before, respectively, but because the event had a no re-entry policy, there was also a full house for panels on Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series nominee “The Yogurt Shop Murders” or Outstanding Movie nominee “Miss You, Love You.”
It even opened with Mariska Hargitay, a current double nominee for her documentary special “My Mom Jayne,” using her presentation as practice for hosting this year’s Primetime Emmys on NBC on Monday, September 14.
In the final weekend before Emmys voting, HBO Max really exemplified the phrase “It ain’t over till it’s over.” While I’d argue that “The Pitt” was never really at risk of ever slipping out of favor among Outstanding Drama Series voters, I do think the final push was needed to tip “Hacks” back toward being the top Outstanding Comedy Series contender.
The real question will be whether “Beef” or “DTF: St. Louis” wins for Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series. While the latter show had well produced panels, even industry insiders I spoke to over the weekend all fear voters are too familiar with the Emmy-winning Netflix anthology to vote otherwise.
See IndieWire’s full list of 2026 Emmy predictions, complete with frontrunners, contenders, and long shots on our website. As a reminder, my email is majones@indiewire.com if you’d like to share any feedback.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza


