Connect with us

Sports

Jamal Musiala: What is happening to Bayern Munich forward?

Published

on

Musiala’s recent diagnosis is the latest setback in what has been a desperately unlucky period to his highly successful career.

His 2024-25 campaign was ended by injury in early April and, just over a week later, he was involved in a serious traffic accident.

Musiala was still able to return to action two months later to take part in the Fifa Club World Cup but then suffered a broken leg and dislocated ankle – in the quarter-final against Paris St-Germain – which ruled him out for 196 days.

The former England Under-21 international then played with a metal plate in his foot from January until the end of this summer’s World Cup in North America, where he made four appearances for Germany.

The plate was removed in July, limiting his ability to train during pre-season.

“Musiala hasn’t been much of a factor in the past 18 months,” said German football expert Constantin Eckner. “He came back for the Club World Cup but suffered a broken leg when he collided with Gianluigi Donnarumma.

“It took him months to recover from that. He just had a metal plate removed from his left foot so he played with that for half a year and had to deal with ankle issues.

“Naturally, his performances left much to be desired. The start to the upcoming season would have been difficult anyway, because he didn’t take part in team training for some time due to the surgery in which the plate was removed. Now, there’s another stumbling block.”

Eckner added Bayern’s £43m summer signing of Morocco attacking midfielder Ismael Saibari was in part to protect against Musiala’s fitness issues.

“Musiala is Bayern’s top earner alongside Harry Kane, but his contribution hasn’t been anywhere close to Kane’s,” he said. “He is still young and things can change again.

“He has a release clause in his contract that could be triggered next summer, but the fee would be in the nine digits. It is unrealistic that any club would be willing to pay that for him at the moment.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Ireland Cricket: Arlene Kelly and Alice Tector return for England ODI series

Published

on

Arlene Kelly and Alice Tector have both recovered from injury to be named in Ireland’s squad for their one-day international series against England.

The pair missed last month’s 3-0 ODI defeat by West Indies but have been named in head coach Lloyd Tennant’s 14-player squad for the three-game series which starts in Leicester on 1 September.

Gaby Lewis again captains the squad with Orla Prendergast, fresh from representing Welsh Fire in The Hundred, serving as her deputy.

Aimee Maguire, Sarah Forbes and Ava Canning will all miss out through injury.

Ireland will play a warm-up fixture against an ECB Development XI on 29 August, while three of their squad will feature in an Emerging Ireland side that will play in the ECB Super 4s preceding the series from August 24-28.

Tector will captain what is an under-19 side, while Christina Coulter Reilly and Lara McBride will also feature for that team before joining the senior group for three matches which form part of the ICC Women’s Championship 2025-29 cycle.

Ireland selector Lauren Rowles believes the regular exposure offered to the world’s top sides afforded by the competition will be of benefit to Ireland.

“To have genuine competition for places within a senior squad is important as it drives standards and raises the desire of players to achieve more with every opportunity they get,” she said.

“That’s why the ICC Women’s Championship is so important. It provides a regular programme of fixtures against the world’s best sides, which in turn benefits the development and competitiveness of our players.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Derek McInnes backs Lawrence Shankland for ‘big influence’ at Rangers

Published

on

Lawrence Shankland is “too good not to score regularly” and is sure to have a “big influence” at Rangers whether or not he starts games, insists manager Derek McInnes.

Shankland has scored once in five outings since his move to Ibrox and the captain was used as a substitute on Sunday as Rangers beat St Mirren 5-1 for their first win of the season.

The 31-year-old Scotland striker hit 22 goals for Hearts last term working under McInnes.

“When you have a player like Lawrence, who knows his way around the penalty box and how to score goals, I do not worry too much about it,” said McInnes.

“He is too good not to score regularly. He has consistently shown that over a period of time in the Premiership.

“Sometimes people can over emphasise these things. For me, it is a case of letting him play his natural game.

“The best strikers have that instinctive side to their game, where everything looks natural and seamless. I have no doubt he will do well here.”

McInnes chose to start with Ryan Naderi in the Premier Sports Cup victory over St Mirren and the German opened the scoring, while Nico Raskin was skipper.

“I said that when I spoke to Lawrence,” added McInnes. “Being captain does not guarantee anything, and he accepted that. He is not going to stamp his feet about it. Having worked with Lawrence before, he is a brilliant captain and a brilliant boy.

“You want your captain to have a big influence on and off the pitch, and I believe Lawrence will have that.”

Shankland is one of 11 new signings at Rangers and the search is on for another centre forward since Youssef Chermiti is a long-term absentee.

“The priority is at the top end of the pitch,” said McInnes. “Number nines are normally more difficult ones to do, and it wasn’t an area we were looking at before Youseff’s injury.

“We’re hoping we can land on the one that we want and hopefully we can bring them here quickly.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Nick Kyrgios: Controversial tennis player’s career could be over after positive cocaine test

Published

on

In 2023, Kyrgios admitted assaulting ex-girlfriend Chiara Passari by pushing her on the pavement during a row in Canberra. The magistrate called the incident “a single act of stupidity or frustration” when sparing him a criminal record.

Then two years ago he publicly distanced himself from controversial influencer Andrew Tate, who is currently fighting extradition to the UK on charges including rape and offences related to sex trafficking.

Kyrgios told the BBC he had “deleted posts, unfollowed him and gone to all lengths to distance” himself from Tate.

The current world number 919 will now step away from public life for the next 28 days to “do the work and come back better.”

The legal process will take many months – and Kyrgios is no fan of tennis’ anti-doping system.

Describing the system as “awful,” he made repeatedly clear his opinion that both Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek received overly lenient bans after their recent high-profile doping cases.

“Sad day for tennis. Fairness in tennis does not exist,” Kyrgios wrote after Sinner accepted a three-month ban for testing positive for clostebol.

But if he does decide he wants to continue his career into his thirties, much will rest on the process of which Kyrgios has been so critical.

If you, or someone you know, have been affected by any issues raised in this article, support and information is available at BBC Action Line. You can also contact the Samaritans on a free helpline at 116 123, or visit the website., external

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.