Connect with us

Sports

Nottingham Forest announce new shirt sponsor four days before Premier League opener

Published

on

The front of a Nottingham Forest shirt

Forest had played in pre-season without a front-of-shirt sponsor. David Rogers/Getty Images

Nottingham Forest have secured a new front-of-shirt sponsor four days ahead of the visit of Leeds United for the start of their Premier League season.

Global financial services platform Marex have agreed a deal to sponsor the City Ground club, as well as the women’s team and the Nottingham Forest netball side.

Forest had previously been sponsored by Bally’s last season but new rules preventing top-flight sides from being sponsored by companies with links to gambling ensured that they had to find a new sponsor.

And, as Forest enter into their fifth consecutive season in the Premier League, under the newly appointed Oliver Glasner, they will do so with the Marex logo on the front of their shirts, after agreeing a multi-year deal.

Marex is a diversified global financial services platform with more than 50 offices worldwide and over 3,000 employees across Europe, Asia and the Americas.

Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis said in a statement: “This partnership is another important step in the continued growth of our club, and we look forward to working together and building a successful relationship.”


A boost for Forest ahead of new season

Forest were one of a handful of Premier League teams who faced the prospect of starting the new season with a blank space on the front of their shirts.

Like many other clubs, Forest have been impacted by the rules preventing the promotion of gambling — five of their last seven sponsors had links to the gambling industry.

One of the exceptions was in 2022-2023, when the club generously displayed the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) logo on the front of their shirts, after failing to secure a principal sponsor.

Securing an agreement with a company in the financial industry is a boost for the club ahead of the new season.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Jamal Musiala: Bayern Munich forward shares health update after collapsing during a match again | Football News

Published

on

Bayern Munich winger Jamal Musiala has revealed he is suffering from “treatable absence seizures” after he collapsed on the pitch for the second time in four days.

The 23-year-old fell to the floor just eight minutes after coming on as a substitute in Bayern’s friendly with FC Heidenheim on Tuesday night.

It follows a similar incident in Saturday’s friendly against RB Leipzig, but the Germany international says there is no long-term health risk.

He posted on Instagram: “First things first, I am doing well. I am incredibly grateful for your messages and your support!

“I understand that many of you are worried. I would like to put those concerns to rest today and explain the situation: I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary – but treatable – absence seizures resulting from a neurological dysfunction.

“These can lead to the kind of incidents seen recently, such as during the match against Leipzig or the game in Heidenheim.

Musiala also collapsed during last Saturday's friendly against RB Leipzig
Image:
Musiala also collapsed during last Saturday’s friendly against RB Leipzig

“I know they might look alarming at first glance, but for me, they are currently part of my everyday life. I am receiving excellent medical care and remain very optimistic. FC Bayern and my personal support network are right by my side, helping me through this.

“Importantly, there is no further health risk involved. In close consultation and regular contact with the experts, it was my personal wish to face this challenge; with the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football.

“I have taken full responsibility for this decision. Overall, I feel very positive and am on the right track.

“What helps me most on this journey is continuing to chase victories and titles with my team and with your amazing support.

“I hope this helps you understand the situation better. At the same time, I ask for your understanding regarding my wish to keep this matter private, sharing it only with my closest circle, the club, and the medical experts.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Man Utd transfer news: Barcelona midfielder Gavi rejects chance to join Old Trafford – Paper Talk | Football News

Published

on

The top stories and transfer rumours from Wednesday’s newspapers…

PREMIER LEAGUE

Barcelona and Spain midfielder Gavi has rejected the chance to join Manchester UnitedThe Mirror

Marcus Rashford has left Manchester United officials ‘seriously impressed’ following his return to the club after his loan spell at Barcelona – Daily Mail

Watch Paper Talk on Sky Sports News

Paper Talk is a review of the sports headlines from the national newspapers, every Monday to Friday, live on Sky Sports News from 10.30pm.

Missed the show? Catch up on the latest news with the Paper Talk podcast.

Crystal Palace star Adam Wharton is Manchester City’s latest midfield target as they close in on Lille teen Ayyoub Bouaddi The Sun

Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal have submitted a £38.5m (€45m) bid for Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins, who is keen on the move – Fabrizio Romano

A £5bn stand-off between Chelsea’s co-owners over plans for a new stadium is accelerating regime change at the club – The Sun

Everton’s chief executive Angus Kinnear has confirmed interest in bringing Jack Grealish back to the club in a potential loan deal – The Times

Brentford pair Kevin Schade and Vitaly Janelt were the two players who fought off a drunk man who racially abused a security guard – The Telegraph

Ipswich will look to go as far as regularly monitoring their players’ urine in a bid to gain a competitive edge over their Premier League rivals, with the club unveiling some of the key upgrades made on their new £30m training facility – Daily Mail

EUROPEAN FOOTBALL

Harry Kane is ready to snub Saudi millions and commit his future to Bayern Munich, with the England captain wanted by Al HilalThe Express

Jose Mourinho has four untouchable first-team starters at Real Madrid, but Trent Alexander-Arnold is not one of them, with Kylian Mbappe, Jude Bellingham, Vinicius Junior and Yan Diomande the quartet – AS

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL

Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Balazs Toth is a Celtic target as they look to provide competition for Viljami SinisaloDaily Record

Dundee are closing in on a deal for Swansea City striker Bobby WalesDaily Record

BOXING

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have signed contracts to fight on November 20 in New York City, raising concerns that the mega-fight will take place in the middle of the night for British fans – Daily Mail

RUGBY UNION

Leicester Tigers assistant coach Alex Davies is set to join Wales as a skills and kicking specialist in time for November’s Nations Championship campaign – Daily Mail

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Fallout from the Lakers’ sale already reverberating throughout the organization

Published

on

There’s what’s good for Mark Walter, the loans and the credit he used to conquer Los Angeles’ pro sports empire coming due as quickly as the boundaries were built. For him, a quickie sale of the Los Angeles Lakers to Bob Iger and Josh Kushner for a record valuation of $12.5 billion made a bunch of sense.

There’s what’s good for the Buss siblings not in the team facility, a chance to fully wash clean of the family business that’s caused fractures and frustrations, while cashing out for the second time in a little more than a year. For them, the roles with the organization that defined their family name essentially ended a year ago when Walter bought the team, either formally or informally. It’s why they voted as a block to put their shares up for sale, something they informed Walter, Iger and Kushner of on Monday.

There’s what’s good for Jeanie Buss, the governor who took control of the organization after the death of her and her siblings’ father and steered them through family drama, unthinkable organizational tragedies from the death of Kobe Bryant to the Palisades fires, and one championship. She led the Lakers into that $10 billion sale to Walter, securing at least five years of governorship. And now, according to her attorney, she believes the family trust doesn’t have majority voting authority to trigger a sale. So she’s going to fight. Because that’s what makes the most sense for her.

For the Lakers, there are ripples.

Everything we know about the Lakers being sold again

Dan Woike

What about the players who are boarding flights to Slovenia to invest in their locker room for the upcoming season, to build chemistry and push the Lakers back to championship glory? What about the employees in the building, the ones who could only sort of shrug their shoulders as they’ve seen two sales since June 2025? What about the ones who held their breath as the new ownership group underwent two separate runs of layoffs and saw their friends ushered by security into a holding room near the front door while they waited to be fired? What about front office bosses who have hired people while on their way out? What about those who built a roster in the image of one group but now wait for another one? What about a fan base sold a vision that the success of the Los Angeles Dodgers would soon be theirs?

What about the Lakers?

Inside the team facility, according to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the uncertainty around everyone’s job security, it was, weirdly enough, business as usual Monday.

According to a pair of league sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to publicly discuss the Lakers’ internal operations, there is a belief around the NBA that the team cannot complete the buildout of its basketball operations department until the ownership situation is resolved. After laying out a vision for a pair of assistant general managers, with one focused on analytics and one focused on player scouting, the team has yet to make any inroads in pro scouting. With preseason games set to start in a little more than a month, filling a staff and getting everyone accustomed to a system was already going to be difficult. Now it feels like a distant hope more than a reality.

Franchise sales always result in a bit of a holding pattern, as the old group still technically operates things while the new group moves toward closing. In typical situations, a longer bid process means teams that buy in have a pretty good plan in place and can start putting things into motion. That’s not the case when a deal like this comes together over a weekend and there aren’t any real plans in place.

“It’s just premature to speculate at all about what we plan to do, because frankly, we haven’t made any plans yet,” Iger told the California Post last week.

That’s probably for the best. An already fluid situation got more fluid Monday, as any hope of a smooth transition disappeared with that letter from Jeanie Buss’ attorney. This kind of change was probably never going to be smooth.

And now, everyone else involved will deal with the bumps.

— Sam Amick contributed to this report.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.