Connect with us

Sports

Joe Root: England Test captain right to remove curfew, says Nasser Hussain ahead of three-Test Pakistan series | Cricket News

Published

on

Nasser Hussain hailed new England Test captain Joe Root’s decision to abolish a team curfew but fears the returning skipper sometimes lacks a feel for the game as a leader like his predecessor Ben Stokes.

Root has captained England on a record 65 occasions, most recently during their second Test defeat to New Zealand earlier this summer after Stokes and Gus Atkinson were suspended for breaking a team curfew that was introduced off the back of the 4-1 Ashes defeat in the winter.

“It’s just a grown up decision, isn’t it?” Hussain said on the latest Sky Sports Cricket Podcast of Root’s decision to axe said curfew ahead of the three-Test series against Pakistan – live on Sky Sports – starting Wednesday.

“You’ve lost the team if you’ve got a curfew. You’ve got no control over your team.

“There’s nothing good that happens with curfews because someone will end up breaking it.

“Just treat people like grown ups, and if they don’t behave like grown ups, then the first thing you do is fine them, and then the second thing you do is leave them out.

“A professional sporting outfit shouldn’t need a curfew, and it just shows how bad a place they were in that a curfew was put in.

“I’m really pleased that Joe has said ‘no, enough of that nonsense’.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky Sports News correspondent Geraint Hughes provides background details on the appointments of Stephen Fleming as head coach and Joe Root as captain to the England Test set-up

The immediate task facing Root is to revive an England side that have lost eight of their last 13 Test matches following on from the 2-1 series loss to New Zealand that ended the ‘Bazball’ era and also saw the international retirement of Stokes.

Root’s first permanent stint as skipper, however, also ended with a similarly barren run, with just one win in his final 17 Tests before he resigned from the captaincy in 2022.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Speaking after the New Zealand Test win in 2022, Joe Root explained why he’d taken the decision to step away from Test captaincy

“He was given the biggest of hospital passes [for the second Test against New Zealand] at The Oval,” Hussain said. “That was very recent, that wasn’t four years ago, and it brought back some of the memories of Joe as a captain.

“For such a great player that has a feel for the tempo of a game, in that game at The Oval, he didn’t have the feel of the game.

“He almost was trying to be a bit too Ben Stokes-ish, having men on the drive on a bouncy Oval pitch where balls were going behind.

“He doesn’t quite have the feel of the game. And that’s what I liked about Stokes’ captaincy. He had a real feel for it.

“I’m pleased he’s doing it, although I may have gone in the direction of Harry Brook, because I do see with Harry in white-ball cricket that he has a real feel for the game.

“He has an aura about him, but I understand the caveats of the schedule and all that sort of stuff.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

England managing director Rob Key explains why it was ‘the right thing to do’ in giving Joe Root the Test captaincy over vice-captain Harry Brook

Athers: Root genuinely excited by captaincy return

Brook, despite being vice-captain, was overlooked to skipper the side for that second Test against New Zealand at The Oval.

Given his captaincy of the England white-ball sides, there may have been a reluctancy to overburden the 27-year-old with the permanent Test job, while his altercation with a nightclub bouncer the night before an ODI against New Zealand last winter drew heavy criticism.

“I put to Root, ‘are you doing this out of duty or real desire?'” said Michael Atherton, who recently interviewed Root.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Joe Root gives his first interview since being reappointed England Test captain

“Duty in the sense that there is really nobody else. Once they don’t want Harry Brook to do it over three formats, where else do they go?

“But I sense he’s genuinely very excited by the opportunity. He feels as though he’s got some ammunition there in terms of his faster bowlers.

“And I thought he trod a nice line between being loyal to what has gone before. He continues to speak very highly about Brendon McCullum.

“I think he genuinely felt McCullum was a good coach for him as a batter and a good coach for the team, albeit it ended badly.

“He was careful not to say he’s going to throw everything out. He wants to take the bits of Bazball that worked but perhaps put his own stamp on it.

“I thought the most important thing that he said was that he’s not going to look to try and impose a predetermined style on this team.”

England vs Pakistan Test series fixtures

  • First Test (Headingley) – Wednesday August 19 – Sunday August 23 (first ball 11am)
  • Second Test (Lord’s) – Thursday August 27 – Monday August 31 (first ball 11am)
  • Third Test (Edgbaston) – Wednesday September 9 – Sunday September 13 (first ball 11am)

Watch the three-Test series between England and Pakistan live on Sky Sports Cricket from August 19. Stream cricket and more sport contract-free with NOW.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Tottenham accept offer from Juventus for goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario

Published

on

Guglielmo Vicario waves to fans

A move to Juventus would see the 29-year-old return to Italy, where he spent his entire club career before joining Spurs in 2023. Clive Rose/Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur have accepted an offer from Juventus for goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario.

Juve’s offer for the 29-year-old is for a loan with the option to make the move to Serie A permanent and while a deal is not yet done, all parties expect it to go through.

The Atheltic reported on Sunday that the Italian club were not proceeding with a move for Emiliano Martinez from Aston Villa following talks between the clubs, and turned their attention to other targets.

A move to Juventus would see Vicario return to Italy, where he spent his entire club career before joining Spurs in 2023 from Empoli for a fee of around €20million (£17.2m, $21.9m).

The 29-year-old has served as Tottenham’s first-choice goalkeeper since his arrival, replacing former club captain Hugo Lloris, and has made 117 appearances for the club in all competitions, keeping 29 clean sheets. He started the 1-0 victory in the Europa League final in May last year, making a crucial save from a Luke Shaw header in stoppage time to ensure his side won their first trophy in 17 years.

Last season, Vicario played 43 games for Spurs but struggled with errors at times and did not appear after March 22 following surgery for a hernia. Antonin Kinsky started in Vicario’s absence and held on to the No 1 spot even when Vicario returned to the squad for the final two games of the campaign.

Vicario began his career with his Udinese and made his first senior appearance while on loan at fourth-tier side Fontanafredda in 2014. He was loaned to fellow Serie D club Venezia in 2015, helping the club achieve promotion and signing on a permanent basis the following year.

A move to Cagliari followed in 2019, along with loan spells at Perugia and Empoli, before joined the latter pemanently in 2022.

Vicario has been capped five times at senior level by Italy and was part of the squad for nation’s run to the last 16 at the 2024 European Championships, though he was an unused substitute in all four games.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer news live updates: Barcelona reach Rodri agreement, Martinez’s Juventus move is off, and more

Published

on

The transfer window for clubs in Europe’s major leagues opened on various dates in June and July, although in reality deals were being negotiated in advance ready to be completed and registered when allowed.

Due to a Bank Holiday in the United Kingdom on August 31, the ‘summer’ transfer window for English clubs will actually close on September 1 at 11pm BST, which is 6pm ET and 3pm PT for readers Stateside.

That deadline applies to players signing for clubs in England. For players leaving them, different times can apply — more on that shortly.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch the men’s Western & Southern Open: Streaming options for the Round of 32

Published

on

There are eight men’s matches at the Western & Southern Open today, the best being No. 14-ranked Jiri Lehecka versus No. 21 Arthur Fils.

Western & Southern Open key details

  • Tournament: The Western & Southern Open
  • Round: Round of 32
  • Date: August 17
  • Streaming: Fubo (Stream now)
  • Venue: Lindner Family Tennis Center
  • Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Court Surface: Hard
  • Watching in person? Get tickets on StubHub.

Western & Southern Open schedule today

  • Thiago Agustin Tirante vs. Martin Landaluce, 11 a.m. ET (Round of 32)
  • Alexander Blockx vs. Flavio Cobolli, 11 a.m. ET (Round of 32)
  • Arthur Fery vs. Alex de Minaur, 12:10 p.m. ET (Round of 32)
  • Rinky Hijikata vs. Jakub Mensik, 1:20 p.m. ET (Round of 32)
  • Rafael Jodar vs. Alejandro Tabilo, 1:40 p.m. ET (Round of 32)
  • Jiri Lehecka vs. Arthur Fils, 2:30 p.m. ET (Round of 32)
  • Alexander Zverev vs. Terence Atmane, 7 p.m. ET (Round of 32)
  • Tommy Paul vs. Adolfo Daniel Vallejo, 8:10 p.m. ET (Round of 32)

Western & Southern Open odds

  • Grigor Dimitrov: +100
  • Ben Shelton: +100
  • Mark Lajal: +100
  • Juncheng Shang: +100
  • Ignacio Buse: +100
  • Valentin Royer: +100
  • Sebastian Baez: +100
  • Fabian Marozsan: +100
  • Chak Lam Coleman Wong: +100
  • Ugo Humbert: +100
  • Nicolas Mejia: +100
  • Daniel Altmaier: +100
  • Stefanos Tsitsipas: +100
  • Lorenzo Sonego: +100
  • Arthur Rinderknech: +100
  • Jenson Brooksby: +100
  • Felix Auger-Aliassime: +200
  • Lorenzo Musetti: +300
  • Learner Tien: +450
  • Frances Tiafoe: +700
  • Jaime Faria: +800
  • Michael Zheng: +800
  • Adam Walton: +1400
  • Juan Manuel Cerundolo: +2000

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Clive Brunskill, Carl De Souza, Filipe Amorim, Valery Hache / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.