Sports
Sergio Busquets returns to Barcelona with reserve team coaching role
Former Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets has taken up an assistant coaching role with the Catalan club’s reserve team.
In a statement on Monday, Barcelona said that Busquets, who made 722 appearances for the club during his career, will join Juliano Belletti’s Barca Atletic backroom staff while he completes his coaching qualifications in what is the 38-year-old’s first non-playing role.
Busquets retired from his playing career at the end of the 2025 Major League Soccer season, having spent two and a half years playing for Inter Miami alongside former Barcelona team-mates Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Jordi Alba.
Barca Atletic, previously known as Barcelona B, largely features players from the club’s ‘La Masia’ academy. They competed in Segunda Division, the second tier of Spanish football, as recently as the 2017-18 season and will feature in the fourth tier this term. Lamine Yamal, Pau Cubarsi, Marc Casado and Hector Fort are among the recent examples of players to step up to the first team from the reserve set-up.
Sergio Busquets s’incorpora al Barça Atlètic com a tècnic assistent
La llegenda blaugrana torna al Club i s’integra en l’equip de treball de Juliano Belletti mentre realitza el curs d’entrenador
💙❤️ pic.twitter.com/0m8BqhO1Ks
— Barça Atlètic (@FCBarcelonaB) August 17, 2026
Busquets spent 18 years with Barcelona, joining the club’s youth ranks in 2005, and entering the first-team picture three years later.
He won nine La Liga titles and three Champions Leagues, as part of an iconic midfield alongside Xavi and Andres Iniesta. He made the third-highest number of appearances of any player in the club’s history, behind only Messi and Xavi.
Busquets also enjoyed major international success with Spain, winning the 2010 World Cup and European Championship two years later, earning 143 caps.
Even in the latter years of his playing career, Busquets remained a regular for Inter Miami. He made 56 appearances in all competitions in 2025, his final season with the club, as they won the MLS Cup.
>
Sports
Tennis: Arthur Fery named in GB Davis Cup team to face Ecuador
Wimbledon semi-finalist Arthur Fery has been included in Great Britain’s Davis Cup team to face Ecuador in September.
Former world number four Jack Draper is not included but a fifth player will be added closer to the time.
British number one Cameron Norrie, Jacob Fearnley, Henry Patten and Lloyd Glasspool make up the team to play at London’s Copper Box Arena.
“I am really proud to be able to represent GB again,” Fery said. “It is going to be a bit of a different scenario this time, at home, in the World Group and trying to qualify for the final eight.
“There might be some extra pressure, but I’m ready for it.”
Fery, 24, jumped to a career-high world ranking of 36 following his shock Wimbledon success, when he was a wildcard into his home Grand Slam.
Ranked 114th in the world before the start of the tournament, Fery went on to become the lowest-ranked player to make Wimbledon’s last four since Goran Ivanisevic in 2001.
This will be Fery’s first outing in England since Wimbledon.
Draper, 24, broke down in tears earlier this month midway through his first game since June following long-term injury difficulties.
A persistent arm injury has kept him sidelined and caused his world ranking to plummet from fourth to as low as 160th over a 12-month period.
The best-of-five tie takes place over two days on 19 and 20 September, with two singles matches on day one.
Day two features a doubles match followed by two singles encounters.
>
Sports
Submit a question for Pete Sampson’s Notre Dame mailbag
The season opener against Wisconsin at historic Lambeau Field is less than three weeks away, and nine long months of questions are about to be answered as the 2026 Irish take the field. What’s on your mind as Notre Dame continues its preseason preparations? Submit your questions below, and Pete Sampson will answer the best ones in a mailbag later this week.
>
Sports
Eddie James: Wales centre signs new Scarlets contract
James is the latest player to have signed a new contract before the 2026-27 campaign alongside Fletcher Anderson, Josh Macleod, Henry Thomas, Gareth Davies, Dan Davis, Sam Lousi, Harri O’Connor, Jac Davies, Will Evans, Carwyn Leggatt-Jones and Gabe Hawley.
The club have also added 10 new signings, with fly-half Gareth Anscombe, props Chris Apoua and Corey Domachowski, second rows Harvey Cuckson, Alex Groves and Tom Allen, hookers John McKee and George Roberts, full-back Isaac Murray-Macgregor and All Black Cullen Grace arriving in Llanelli.
“Keeping Eddie at Parc y Scarlets is a significant signing for our club and we are delighted he will continue his rugby journey with us,” said Scarlets director of rugby Nigel Davies.
“Having players like Eddie at the heart of what we’re building is as important as new players coming into the squad.
“We’re proud of our ethos of developing our own players and we want to give our young Welsh players an environment in which they know they can achieve their ambitions in a Scarlets jersey.”
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
