Connect with us

Sports

Where the Browns’ QB competition stands, and other takeaways from the preseason opener

Published

on

The Cleveland Browns’ quarterback battle transitioned from the practice fields to the game field in Saturday’s preseason opener.

Based on everything new coach Todd Monken has said for weeks, not just in the aftermath of the game, the most important part of the ongoing battle was probably a more thorough evaluation of the offensive operation — the huddle, the ongoing communication and how the quarterbacks diagnosed what the defense showed them ahead of the snap.

For Deshaun Watson, just getting on the field for his first live action in 22 months was pretty important, too. In that regard, it’s not surprising Monken was mostly upbeat in his postgame comments about how Watson and Shedeur Sanders played. Monken also went out of his way to call it “awesome” to see Watson on the field, saying he was “having fun again” after spending basically an entire year rehabbing from a twice-torn Achilles tendon.

Top Plays from Browns @ Bears

To me, it was most notable that Monken said he “gets all the frustration from fans and from (Watson) himself” about how things have gone for Watson over the past four years.

Given how miserably the Browns’ Watson experiment has failed, nobody on the outside expected Watson to still be with the Browns for the final year of his contract. And though nobody from the organization has wanted to discuss it publicly, the Browns know the fanbase feels let down by Watson’s limited availability and even more limited success. If Watson plays this year and doesn’t succeed, he’ll get booed. And, frankly, there’s still not a lot of visual evidence that he has a chance to succeed.

Monken’s quarterback competition between Watson and Sanders rolls on for another week, but I think the way Monken handled the Saturday postgame was a little bit of a tell. Maybe a “soft launch,” as the kids might say. It’s close, and Monken said it’s important to follow the timeline and rotation and let it continue. Though Watson has been better over the last week-plus of practices than he was early in camp, in no way has he played consistently well enough (nor has Sanders played poorly enough) to end the competition.

But Watson has been first in every practice line since the spring, got the first preseason start and was the beneficiary on the only open day of practice in which the rotation was altered. He started the first preseason game — whether the Browns intentionally wanted to start Sanders in the second one or not — and guided the team’s only two scoring drives of the day. Watson didn’t throw any long passes or show improved pocket presence, but Monken has long said he’ll start the player who gives the team the best chance to score points and move the ball, and Watson did that with at least some level of success over six rust-shaking, first-half possessions in Chicago.

From sideline practice observation, there’s no clear winner. There’s no stated winner from Monken, who’s continued to insist he’s fine following the extended timeline and repeated Sunday that practice reps will be shared through Thursday’s important joint practice with the Buffalo Bills.

But if Monken always envisioned choosing Watson first — based on Watson’s experience and Monken being unburdened by what happened when Monken was working elsewhere — then I think he’s sort of hinting Watson has been the slight leader all along.

The itinerary

Though Monken was still due to speak with Bills coach Joe Brady about an exact itinerary for Thursday’s practice, Monken said he plans to stick with the same rotation this week: Sanders with the No. 1 offense in shorter practices Monday and Wednesday, and Watson in a longer, full-pads practice Tuesday. Both will play with the No. 1 offense Thursday, then Sanders will start next Saturday’s preseason game against the Bills and play the first half.

Monken has said he won’t commit to playing all starters in Saturday’s game but will make that decision based on the starters’ reps in practice Thursday. In the preseason opener, Watson played two series with the starting offensive line, running back Quinshon Judkins and tight end Harold Fannin Jr. before Monken put in several younger players and backups.

The quarterback competition would ideally conclude with Saturday’s preseason game, ahead of the pending shift into more of a regular-season mode, but Monken has said he won’t decide until he’s fully comfortable.

“I did feel going into last week’s game it was relatively close in terms of both having an opportunity,” Monken said. “It would be unfair to not go in the next game and allow Shedeur that opportunity (to play with most of the starters).”

Monken again noted he’s judging both quarterbacks on their ability to operate the offense before and after the snap, but he commended both for overcoming penalties in different situations in Chicago. Watson had three consecutive completions after the Browns faced first-and-25, while Sanders had a 35-yard completion on third-and-13 to Luke Floriea.

I don’t feel the competition is over or that Watson’s lead is insurmountable. If anything, I think the preseason opener showed Watson still has obvious limitations that should lead the rebuilding Browns to play the younger player. But in either case, a competition that’s clearly dragging still isn’t done — and there is some intrigue in how both QBs handle the week ahead.

All set elsewhere on offense?

Outside of quarterback, Monken acknowledged that the top of the offensive depth chart is pretty much set. The Browns are trending towards starting Elgton Jenkins at center and Teven Jenkins at right guard.

KT Leveston, who got No. 1 reps at right guard for more than a week when Teven Jenkins was injured early in camp, led all offensive players with 45 snaps in Chicago. The Browns want to see Leveston continue to develop as he’s moving inside after making seven emergency starts at tackle last season. He will probably make the team because of his position versatility and because he’s on a rookie contract through 2027.

Guard Zak Zinter should be back at practice soon, Monken said. Though the Browns have been hit hard by injuries at cornerback and defensive tackle, Monken repeated Sunday that most are short-term and that the team expects several players back around the Aug. 27 preseason finale against New England.

As Saturday’s preseason opener again reinforced, the wide receiver position has been upgraded. Rookies KC Concepcion and Denzel Boston will be involved. They’re going to be busy. That’s been obvious since early in camp — and Concepcion has made obvious strides over the past several weeks. His 31-yard punt return and 14-yard touchdown run in the preseason opener followed the track he’s been on for most of training camp.

Cleveland Browns Camp: QB competition, Boston impressing and more

Robert Mays

On the run

Judkins didn’t play much in Chicago, and Dylan Sampson was the second running back in. Sampson’s 43-yard gain on a screen pass from Watson was the biggest play of the game for the Browns and followed a week of camp in which Sampson was busy in the pass game. The plan has long been for Judkins to be the lead runner and Sampson to have a pass-game role.

Marshall, who spent part of 2025 on the practice squad, played ahead of Rocket Sanders, who’d been third in line for most of the spring and summer and was the No. 3 for much of last season after arriving via waivers. Marshall and Sanders are both second-year players, and the team doesn’t have a strong commitment to either. The switch in order was notable, and we’ll see how things proceed from here. Monken said both are competing and that Sanders will likely play as the No. 3 running back this week.

The tight end situation remains complicated. Blake Whiteheart was the clear No. 2 in Chicago, but Jack Stoll didn’t play, and Brenden Bates was injured in the game. Fifth-round rookie Joe Royer remains away from the team for undisclosed personal reasons, and seventh-round rookie Carsen Ryan is trying to make the team as a combination fullback and tight end. If the Browns played a real game this week, they’d effectively be forced to use mostly three-wide-receiver sets because of their shortage at tight end.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Hendrick Motorsports signs star NASCAR prospect Connor Zilisch, starting in 2028

Published

on

Connor Zilisch is headed to Hendrick Motorsports, as the powerhouse NASCAR team announced Monday it has signed the 20-year-old driver to a multi-year deal that begins with the 2028 season.

Zilisch, considered one of the sport’s most talented prospects, will drive the team’s No. 48 Ally-sponsored Chevrolet in NASCAR’s premier Cup Series, replacing Alex Bowman, who has already announced that the 2027 season will be his last as a full-time competitor.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, only that Zilisch and Hendrick had reached a “multi-year agreement” to join the Rick Hendrick-owned organization that has won more championships than any other.

Ty Gibbs survives late charge from Christopher Bell to win at Iowa Speedway

“This is one of those moments you dream about as a kid,” Zilisch said in a statement. “Hendrick Motorsports has always represented the standard in our sport and being entrusted to help continue that legacy means everything to me.”

Zilisch began racing at 5, and it wasn’t long before he established himself as an emerging young talent. He moved from North Carolina at 11 to race go-karts in Europe, and his success there — winning a major race in Italy against a field that included current Formula One championship points leader Kimi Antonelli and winning the FIA Karting Academy Trophy in 2020 — seemingly put Zilisch on a path to F1.

But a lack of funding meant Zilisch had to pursue racing in a less expensive form of motorsport, so he turned his attention to NASCAR, and before long his ability caught the attention of numerous team owners. His stock only continued to climb in 2024 when he earned class victories in the prestigious Rolex 24 at Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring sports car races, then later that year won his debut race in NASCAR’s second-tier O’Reilly Auto Parts Series. Last year, Zilisch won 10 O’Reilly races and the regular-season points championship.

Zilisch advanced to Cup full-time this season, driving for Trackhouse Racing. He has one top-10 finish in 24 starts and currently ranks 34th in points. He will continue to drive for Trackhouse through the 2027 season before moving to Hendrick.

Zilisch and Hendrick’s link has been anticipated for some time, the only question being when. But the answer to this question came into focus this spring as Bowman weighed his future. Hendrick identified Zilisch as a leading candidate to succeed Bowman should they need to fill his spot on its four-driver roster. When Bowman announced last month that he would return to Hendrick for one final season, it increased the likelihood that Hendrick would move to have Zilisch take his place.

“Connor is a truly gifted young racer,” Rick Hendrick said in a statement. “His talent behind the wheel is exceptional, but I’m even more impressed by the person he is. When someone with that kind of ability and character becomes available, you do everything you can to bring them into your organization. We have tremendous confidence in Connor, and we believe he’s the right driver to build on the legacy of the No. 48 Ally team for many years to come.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch White Sox vs. Cubs: TV channel and streaming options for August 17

Published

on

The Chicago White Sox will look to keep a three-game winning streak going when they visit the Chicago Cubs at 8:05 p.m. ET on Monday. Shota Imanaga (8-9, 3.74 ERA) will start for the Cubs, who are 72-53 this season and second in the NL Central. Luis Castillo (4-9, 4.96 ERA) is the expected starter for the White Sox, who are 65-58 and first in the AL Central.

How to watch Chicago White Sox vs. Chicago Cubs

White Sox vs. Cubs odds

  • Favorite Moneyline: Cubs -169
  • Underdog Moneyline: White Sox +140
  • Total: 8
  • Total Over Odds: -115
  • Total Under Odds: -105

Injury reports

Cubs

Matt Shaw: 10 Day IL (Hand), Daniel Palencia: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Hoby Milner: 15 Day IL (Appendicitis), Gavin Hollowell: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Phil Maton: 15 Day IL (Knee), Riley Martin: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Porter Hodge: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Justin Steele: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Shelby Miller: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Hunter Harvey: 60 Day IL (Tricep), Cade Horton: 60 Day IL (Forearm), Christopher Austin: 60 Day IL (Knee), Ben Brown: 60 Day IL (Neck), Dansby Swanson: day-to-day (Side)

White Sox

Joey Bart: 10 Day IL (Hand), Kyle Teel: 10 Day IL (Ankle), Chris Murphy: 15 Day IL (Flexor), Davis Martin: 15 Day IL (Finger), Tanner Murray: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Prelander Berroa: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Ky Bush: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Mike Vasil: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Jordan Leasure: 60 Day IL (Flexor), Brooks Baldwin: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Drew Thorpe: 60 Day IL (Elbow)

Stats to know

  • Chicago’s Pete Crow-Armstrong is slashing .276/.374/.533 this season with 28 home runs (9th in MLB), 75 RBIs (15th in MLB) and an OPS of .906 (6th in MLB). He has a 27.2% strikeout rate and an 11.7% walk rate in 555 plate appearances, and he has scored 87 total runs. Crow-Armstrong has recorded 30 steals on 37 attempts.
  • In 557 plate appearances, Alex Bregman has hit 16 long balls, tallied 61 RBIs and scored 69 runs. He is batting .251/.343/.402 and has posted a 15.8% strikeout rate and an 11.1% walk rate.
  • Chicago’s Miguel Vargas is slashing .239/.344/.491 this season with 28 home runs (9th in MLB), 72 RBIs and an OPS of .835. He has a 17.8% strikeout rate and a 12.8% walk rate in 533 plate appearances, and he has scored 83 total runs. Vargas has recorded 12 steals on 14 attempts.
  • In 497 plate appearances, Chase Meidroth has slashed .278/.354/.416 this season. He has hit 12 long balls and driven in 49 runs with a strikeout rate of 22.3% and a walk rate of 9.9%. and has scored 71 runs.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Jamie Squire, Ishika Samant, Scott Taetsch, Alika Jenner / Getty Images

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Braves vs. Twins: TV channel and streaming options for August 17

Published

on

The Atlanta Braves visit the Minnesota Twins to start a three-game series at Target Field, with first pitch at 7:40 p.m. ET on Monday. Martin Perez (8-6, 2.96 ERA) gets the start for the Braves, who are 74-50 this season and first in the NL East. Bailey Ober (7-4, 4.64 ERA) is expected to start for the Twins, who are 60-65 and third in the AL Central.

How to watch Atlanta Braves vs. Minnesota Twins

Braves vs. Twins odds

  • Favorite Moneyline: Braves -130
  • Underdog Moneyline: Twins +110
  • Total: 9
  • Total Over Odds: -120
  • Total Under Odds: +100

Injury reports

Braves

Reynaldo López: 15 Day IL (Knee), Robert Suarez: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Spencer Strider: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Spencer Schwellenbach: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Joey Wentz: 60 Day IL (Knee), Joe Jimenez: 60 Day IL (Knee)

Twins

Joe Ryan: 15 Day IL (Glute), Pablo Lopez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), David Festa: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Cole Sands: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Mike Paredes: 60 Day IL (Oblique), Anthony Banda: 60 Day IL (Lat), Mick Abel: 60 Day IL (Elbow)

Stats to know

  • Matt Olson is hitting for a .264 BA, .340 OBP and .551 SLG with a 25.1% strikeout rate and a 10% walk rate. His OPS is .891, which ranks 9th in MLB, and he has scored 88 runs. In 541 plate appearances, he has hit 36 home runs (2nd in MLB) and driven in 77 runs (13th in MLB).
  • In 530 plate appearances, Ozzie Albies has hit 20 long balls, tallied 64 RBIs and scored 72 runs. He is batting .251/.308/.423 and has posted a 14% strikeout rate and a 7.2% walk rate.
  • Brooks Lee has hit 18 home runs this season. He has also tallied 66 RBIs and has scored 54 runs. In 478 plate appearances, he has recorded a .245 BA, .300 OBP and .424 SLG with a 6.9% walk rate and a 16.5% strikeout rate. He has been effective on the base paths, recording seven steals on 11 attempts.
  • In 487 plate appearances, Josh Bell has hit 16 long balls, tallied 72 RBIs and scored 61 runs. He is batting .253/.315/.420 and has posted a 20.9% strikeout rate and an 8% walk rate.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Jamie Squire, Ishika Samant, Scott Taetsch, Alika Jenner / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.