Connect with us

Sports

MLB owners unanimously approve Padres sale to José E. Feliciano and Kwanza Jones

Published

on

Major League Baseball owners on Monday unanimously approved billionaire investors José E. Feliciano and Kwanza Jones as the new owners of the San Diego Padres.

The vote, which was conducted by conference call, concluded a process that began in April when Feliciano and Jones agreed to purchase the team from the Seidler family at a record valuation of $3.9 billion. The husband-wife duo is buying more than 40 percent of the franchise, with other individuals and entities joining them at a smaller combined percentage.

“It is my pleasure to welcome José E. Feliciano and Kwanza Jones as the new majority owners of the Padres following today’s vote,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement issued by the league. “José and Kwanza understand the unique place the Padres hold in San Diego and the powerful bond between the club and its fans. We look forward to their leadership of the Padres and to working with them to build on the club’s strong foundation in a market that is so important to Major League Baseball.”

Feliciano’s and Jones’ group includes longtime Padres minority owner Alfredo Harp Helú, who is said to be increasing his investment, and Joey and Jesse Buss, the youngest sons of former Los Angeles Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss. Some members of the Seidler family are retaining at least a portion of their stakes in the team.

The sale establishes a new benchmark for an MLB franchise valuation. The previous record for a transfer of control was set in 2020, when Steve Cohen bought the New York Mets for $2.4 billion. Despite playing in one of MLB’s smallest media markets, the Padres rank toward the top of the sport in revenue, which led to a competitive bidding process after the team went up for sale in November.

Feliciano, whose net worth Forbes estimates at $3.9 billion, is the co-founder and managing partner of private equity firm Clearlake Capital, as well as a co-controlling owner of Premier League club Chelsea. Feliciano will be named the Padres’ control person — MLB requires each franchise to designate one owner to be accountable to the league for the operation of their team — but he and Jones have said they plan to run the club as partners.

Jones, who met Feliciano while both attended Princeton University, is the founder and CEO of media and personal development company Supercharged. She and her husband co-founded the Kwanza Jones & José E. Feliciano Initiative, an investment and philanthropic organization that has committed more than $500 million to various efforts.

Feliciano and Jones will oversee a Padres team seeking its fifth postseason berth in seven years. San Diego, still without a World Series title, has won 17 of its past 22 games and currently occupies the National League’s final wild-card spot.

The Padres were previously sold in 2012 to a group led by Peter Seidler and Ron Fowler, who bought the team for $800 million. Seidler, a nephew of former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley, became the team’s control person in 2020 and oversaw franchise-record spending until his death in 2023. His widow later sued two of his brothers, accusing them of breaches of fiduciary duty and fraud in their roles as trustees of Seidler’s trust.

Another Seidler brother, now-former Padres chairman John Seidler, announced in November that he and his family had begun exploring a potential sale of the team. Sheel Seidler, Peter’s widow, dismissed most of her claims against her brothers-in-law early this year.

“On behalf of Major League Baseball, I thank John Seidler and the entire Seidler family for their stewardship of the San Diego Padres,” Manfred said in the league’s official statement. “Continuing the legacy established by the late Peter Seidler, the Padres reached the postseason four times in the last six years, energized one of baseball’s most passionate fanbases, and strengthened the club’s role as a cornerstone of the San Diego community. We appreciate the Seidler family’s longstanding commitment to our National Pastime and their many contributions to the game.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Kevin Lamour, key FIFA official who criticised Infantino’s World Cup plans, leaves role

Published

on

General view outside FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) global headquarters on July 30, 2026 in Zurich, Switzerland. A recent proposal by FIFA President Gianni Infantino to sell off stakes in its football competitions has sparked backlash from some national and regional sports governing bodies

Robert Hradil/Getty Images

Kevin Lamour has left his position as chief operating officer at FIFA.

Lamour’s departure comes after the FIFA executive released a statement to the Associated Press on July 31 criticising Gianni Infantino, the FIFA president, amid the fallout from the abandoned FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) proposal.

Lamour told AP that staff had been “deceived” by Infantino regarding the FFE plan, which would have seen world soccer’s governing body make stakes in the World Cup available for private investment.

A FIFA spokesperson said in a statement to The Athletic: “FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.

“No further comment will be made on the matter.”

Lamour, who previously worked with Infantino at UEFA, the governing body for European football, told AP in July: “It is the project of one person

“Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”

Lamour also said that he was prepared to lose his job over speaking out publicly.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” his statement to AP added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

Mattias Grafstrom, FIFA’s secretary general, informed staff at FIFA via email that Lamour would be leaving the organisation and also thanked him for his service.

Lamour’s departure follows that of Infantino’s senior advisor Carlos Cordeiro, who resigned in July due to his opposition to the FFE plans.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

San Antonio City Council rejects mayor’s motion for re-vote on Spurs arena deal

Published

on

The Spurs’ new arena deal cleared its latest hurdle Monday, when the San Antonio City Council denied a motion to reopen the funding to a public vote.

The team will build a $1.3 billion downtown arena, which will be paid for in part by $489 million in public funding through municipal bonds. That plan was approved by the city council when county voters approved a $311 million contribution through tourism taxes last November, with the Spurs committing to fund the final $500 million and any cost overruns.

But San Antonio mayor Gina Ortiz Jones (D) campaigned for a new vote on the upcoming November ballot to allow San Antonio residents to weigh in on the $489 million package that was only approved by the council. However, the motion was denied Monday, allowing the arena project to continue as planned.

The overall municipal bond issuance that includes the funding for the Spurs’ arena still needs to be voted on by the general public, according to the term sheet for the arena deal, but the structure of that vote is not expected to be determined until September.

Spurs CEO RC Buford spoke to the city council Monday during public comments before voting, then issued a statement after the Spurs won the vote.

“Today’s decision allows San Antonio to move forward on a path that was established through years of work, public discussion, City and County action and last year’s vote,” the statement read. “We can now turn our full attention to delivering on that shared vision and the transformational opportunity ahead for our city. We are grateful to the community, business and civic leaders, Spurs fans and residents who have taken the time to learn the facts and make their voices heard. There is still a great deal of work ahead, and we are ready for it. We remain committed to working alongside our public and community partners to deliver a downtown arena and district that strengthens San Antonio for generations to come.”

The Spurs play in one of the NBA’s oldest arenas, Frost Bank Center, which is located in a quiet part of East San Antonio that is surrounded by a golf course, a manufacturing area and a residential neighborhood. The hopes for the area surrounding the current arena to evolve into a culturally vibrant entertainment zone never materialized. Last year, the Spurs campaigned for public funding to support developing a new arena downtown, near the Alamodome, in the middle of the city’s main commercial and tourism zone.

The $1.3 billion arena is part of a larger Project Marvel downtown revitalization that will modernize the Alamodome, expand the nearby convention center and develop more hotels. It is San Antonio’s attempt to build a true sports and entertainment district in the middle of the city, to capitalize on newer high-end hotels opening in the area and the increased population growth over the past several years. Previous projected timelines have aimed for arena construction to break ground in 2029, with the Spurs playing games there in time for the start of the 2032-33 season.

Completing this arena is widely viewed as a necessity to keep the Spurs in San Antonio, as their presence in Austin has increased in recent years. The Spurs play the first two games after February’s All-Star break in Austin every year, but they have added a third against Kevin Durant and the Houston Rockets on Austin’s Formula 1 race weekend on Oct. 23 in an attempt to strengthen their presence in front of the Austin fanbase and both regional and global business partner targets.

The team has maintained that its aim is to build a superregional fanbase and become a larger-market team, because Austin and San Antonio combined would be the 10th-largest market in the NBA. The emergence of Victor Wembanyama has dramatically increased the Spurs’ profile nationally and internationally, making this the ideal time for the franchise to lock in a new arena.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Wings vs. Valkyries: TV channel and streaming options for August 17

Published

on

The Golden State Valkyries (24-9) hope to extend a five-game winning streak when they host the Dallas Wings (20-15) at 10 p.m. ET on Monday, August 17, 2026 at Chase Center. The game airs on Peacock, NBC Sports, KFAA, KPIX, and KOVR 13.

How to watch Dallas Wings vs. Golden State Valkyries

Dallas vs. Golden State odds

  • Spread: Golden State -6.5 (-110), Dallas +6.5 (-110)
  • Favorite Moneyline: Golden State -278
  • Underdog Moneyline: Dallas +225
  • Total: 161.5
  • Total Over Odds: -115
  • Total Under Odds: -105

Injury reports

Valkyries

Kiah Stokes: Day-To-Day (Concussion Protocol),

Janelle Salaün: Questionable (Knee),

Iliana Rupert: Out For Season (Pregnancy)

Wings

Jessica Shepard: Probable (Ankle),

Azzi Fudd: Out (Knee),

Aziaha James: Out (Leg)

Stats to know

  • The 83.5 points per game the Valkyries average are only 3.1 fewer points than the Wings allow (86.6).
  • Dallas scores an average of 89.0 points per game, 12.1 more points than the 76.9 Golden State allows.
  • Gabby Williams puts up 14.6 points, 2.2 assists and 3.2 boards per contest.
  • Jessica Shepard averages 14.2 points, 5.2 assists and 11.4 rebounds per game.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Julio Aguilar, Ethan Miller, Steph Chambers / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.