Connect with us

Sports

Fifa: Kevin Lamour leaves after criticising president Gianni Infantino

Published

on

Fifa’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has left the governing body less than three weeks after he strongly criticised its president Gianni Infantino’s aborted plan to sell stakes in competitions to private investors.

In a statement, a spokesperson said: “Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.

“Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”

It declined to comment on reports that Lamour had been dismissed.

BBC Sport has been told that Fifa’s staff were informed of Lamour’s departure in an email by its secretary general Mattias Grafstrom on Monday evening.

Last month, Lamour described the controversial Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) plans as “the project of one person”, and said “the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions”.

He added Fifa’s own administration was “deceived” about the now abandoned project.

“Our mission – the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary Fifa employees – is to serve football”, he added.

“A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite.”

Lamour acknowledged he had a duty of loyalty to his employer but also to “certain values” and supporting his colleagues.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

Lamour joined Fifa in November 2024, having previously served as deputy general secretary at Uefa, and was two layers of management below Infantino.

Earlier this month, Infantino received the backing of senior executives in a meeting in Morocco, but BBC Sport was told Lamour was not invited.

Lamour has been approached for comment.

In a letter sent to members of Fifa’s Council, and seen by BBC Sport, Grafstrom wrote: “I would like to provide you with an important update regarding a change within the Fifa Administration.

“Following recent discussions, Fifa and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally… I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of Fifa on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Panthers TE Darren Waller says his conditioning is ‘night and day’ better than year ago

Published

on

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Darren Waller finally signed with the Carolina Panthers on Monday, five days after his agent called the veteran tight end and told him he’d found a team for him.

Waller worked on the side during Monday’s practice, held in sweltering temperatures, and isn’t expected to do much Wednesday when the Panthers practice against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Still, Panthers coach Dave Canales liked what he saw when the soon-to-be 34-year-old arrived at training camp.

“He looks like he’s in phenomenal shape,” Canales said. “He was leaking (sweat) out here. This is a different kind of 117 (heat) index than Vegas is, where he lives. He mentioned that. He’s soaking wet. But it was a good opportunity to see where he’s at.”

Waller said his conditioning level is “night and day” from last summer, when he didn’t decide until June to end his one-year retirement and play again. Waller tore his quad two weeks into the Miami Dolphins’ camp and ended up missing eight games with three different injuries.

Darren Waller wasn’t surprised he had to wait this long for his opportunity

Waller said he started his offseason training this year the day after the Super Bowl. But he still had to wait until mid-August for a team to call. “Anybody that offered me a job, I was gonna play,” he said.

That somebody was the Panthers, who were looking to add to their tight end mix with a proven pass catcher whose size-speed combo brings a different look to their passing game.

“You can play him like a tight end, you can play him like a receiver. He’s huge. Just standing with him out there, he’s all of 6-6 and a half. He’s lean. He can run. All those things,” Canales said.

“It’s a unique element that he brings to whatever offense he’s been a part of. The goal is just throw him into that room, challenge that room and see which guys want to elevate and create that role for Bryce (Young).”

Waller spent the first part of Monday’s practice doing conditioning exercises with running back Chuba Hubbard, edge rusher Cam Gill and a few other injured players. He congratulated Tommy Tremble after a catch in team drills, and picked the tight ends’ brains for help in learning the playbook.

“The script sheet looks like Mandarin Chinese to me right now,” he said. “But soon it’ll be something that I understand a lot more.”

Waller, who turns 34 in September, said teams were probably scared off by his age and durability concerns after his season in Miami, where he caught only 24 passes but took six in for touchdowns.

“Sometimes it can be like, damn, I’m doing all this work since the day after the Super Bowl, when is it gonna happen? But uncertainty’s kind of the name of the game,” Waller said. “I’m new to this free-agent situation. But it is what it was. I’m grateful that it happened in the timing that it did.”

One of Waller’s best games last year came in Week 5 at Bank of America Stadium. The former Georgia Tech receiver caught five passes for 78 yards and a TD — all in the first half — in the Panthers’ 27-24 victory.

Canales indicated the Panthers plan to break Waller in slowly. He won’t participate in team drills against the Jags, but could see individual work so he can begin to develop timing with Young.

Based on his offseason training, Waller is confident he can still be a downfield threat.

“I was able this year to get back to places I feel like explosive-wise, top speed-wise, getting out of routes, just as good as I have any point in my career. So that’s very encouraging,” he said. “Just to be able to move the way that I’m moving at my age, I feel like it’s a blessing.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Mavericks, Stars resolve dispute, plan to stay in American Airlines Center through 2031

Published

on

The outside of the American Airlines Center in April. The scoreboard shows the Dallas Stars logo.

The American Airlines Center will remain the home of the Mavs and Stars, at least for now. Stacy Revere / Getty Images

The Dallas Mavericks are no longer engaged in a legal battle with their co-tenant at American Airlines Center, the Dallas Stars.

On Monday, the Mavericks and Stars released a joint statement saying they had put their issues behind them.

“The Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars have reached an agreement that resolves the outstanding matters between the two organizations,” the statement read. “American Airlines Center will continue to serve as the home of both teams at least through the 2030–31 season.”

Tensions between the teams became public in October when it was revealed that the Mavericks had filed a petition for injunctive relief over what they said was a breach of contract.

Dusty May leaving for pros is familiar for Michigan fans

Austin Meek

The Mavericks alleged that the Stars agreed in 1998 to keep their team headquarters within Dallas city limits — an agreement the Stars had been in violation of since 2003, when the team’s headquarters opened in Frisco — and that the Stars weren’t paying their fair share of renovations needed to maintain American Airlines Center, the building in Dallas’ Victory Park neighborhood that the teams have shared since 2001.

The Mavericks and Stars will continue playing at American Airlines Center for the next five seasons, but both teams appear headed elsewhere shortly thereafter.

In June, the Mavericks entered into an option agreement to purchase 104 acres at the former Valley View Mall in North Dallas. The Mavericks’ intention is to move into a new arena that they own ahead of the 2031-32 NBA season.

The Stars, meanwhile, could leave Dallas entirely. In June, the Stars said that they had signed a letter of intent to move forward in developing a sports and entertainment district in Plano, a suburb roughly 25 miles north of downtown Dallas. Under this plan, Plano taxpayers could cover as much as $700 million of what’s expected to be a $1 billion project.

The Mavericks have been involved in multiple lawsuits since Patrick Dumont and Miriam Adelson bought a majority share in the team from Mark Cuban in December 2023. In July, Cuban’s lawyers filed a Rule 202 petition in which he alleged that he was entitled to information being withheld from him in the Mavericks’ bid to develop a new arena and sports entertainment district. The back-and-forth between Cuban’s and Dumont’s lawyers died down in August, when Cuban withdrew his petition.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Jack Whaley: Emotional golfer credits dad for US Amateur glory

Published

on

It was very much a family affair for Jack Whaley as he became only the third Englishman to triumph in the US Amateur Championship on Sunday.

The 22-year-old from Doncaster had his dad Andy caddying for him as he beat American Jay Leng Jr 4&3 in the final.

As a result, Whaley earned a place in the fields for the Masters, US Open and The Open at St Andrews in 2027, and an automatic berth in the Great Britain & Ireland Walker Cup team that will take on the United States at Lahinch in Ireland on 5 and 6 September.

But years of being supported on his golf journey, by his father in particular, and the emotional embrace and victory speech at Merion suggested this moment will take some topping for Whaley.

“It’s probably the best thing and me and my dad will probably ever experience together,” Whaley told BBC Sport.

“He said to me yesterday, ‘right, I’m retired now, I’m one for one’. And we all thought it was hilarious. I don’t think he’ll caddie again, but I think he’ll definitely remember this one and I will for a very, very long time.

“He was just telling me that he was just very proud and we’ve done really well to get it this far and there’s no reason why it couldn’t be me that could win – and I think he’s the one that really kept me going.”

Having missed the cut at the same event 12 months ago and sitting 90th in the world amateur golf rankings, Whaley’s success was far from guaranteed.

Victories over Jackson Ormond, Bowen Mauss, Christian Cavaliere, Adam Bresnu and Carter Loflin prior to Sunday, ensured his dad was forced to alter his travel plans and extend his stay in the United States.

“It’s been a bumpy ride, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. We’re here now, so it’s great. It is a fantastic achievement,” said Whaley.

“Obviously we’ve not had good good results in the past, and he was due to go home on Saturday.

“I think he was expecting to do some sightseeing and go to Washington towards the end of the week if I missed the cut. On Friday night, we had to change his flight and get the car extended for an extra couple of days.”

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.