Sports
Five Australian Rules footy players suspended amid police investigation
Five players in the Australian Football League (AFL) have been banned for late-night drinking and inviting women to a hotel after a weekend match in Melbourne.
The Sydney Swans’ Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been stood down from Australian Rules football’s top league for the rest of the season, the club announced.
The suspension comes after detectives in Melbourne began an investigation into an alleged sexual assault, said to have to taken place in the early hours of Monday morning at the Pullman Hotel where the players were staying after the match.
None of the players have been arrested or charged in the investigation.
Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham apologised to fans, players and the wider community on Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters, he explained that the sanctions were handed down because the players had breached the club’s standards by drinking alcohol later than accepted and bringing women to the hotel.
In a statement published earlier in the day announcing the suspensions, the club said: “We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this.
“The AFL is supportive of the Club’s sanctions.”
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich told a media conference: “We’re deeply embarrassed and ashamed that the poor choices of five of our players, and the impact that’s had on the women involved and also the club.
“We are deeply concerned about their welfare and the wellbeing of those women.”
He declined to say whether any of the players had been drug tested, saying that any testing would form part of the police inquiry.
A spokesperson for Victoria Police said officers have spoken to several people who were at the Pullman Hotel, but no one was formally interviewed or arrested.
On Tuesday, club officials held talks with the players ahead of their suspension.
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon has described the reports of the alleged sexual assault as “deeply concerning”.
Sydney has dominated this season, currently placing second on the ladder which guarantees them a spot in the qualifying and elimination finals’ round that begins in two weeks.
The club is scheduled to play against North Melbourne at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday, which will be the last fixture ahead of the finals.
Heeney and Warner are considered two of the sport’s biggest stars.
Unlike some other Australian sports, the AFL does not have a strict no-fault stand-down policy on players charged with serious offences such as sexual assault, and instead handles cases on a discretionary and case-by-case basis.
>
Sports
Troy Parrott: Republic of Ireland striker on verge of move to Real Betis
Real Betis are in advanced talks with AZ Alkmaar over a 20m euros (£17.1m) deal to sign Republic of Ireland striker Troy Parrott.
It is understood an agreement between the Dutch club Alkmaar and Spain’s Betis is now close.
West Ham had been heavily linked with a move for the 24-year-old forward, who began his career at Tottenham.
Parrott joined Alkmaar in July 2024 from Spurs, having spent the previous season on loan at another Dutch club, Excelsior Rotterdam.
He began last season in prolific form, scoring 10 goals in his first seven appearances but a knee ligament injury sustained at the end of August kept him out of action until October.
Parrot ended the Dutch league season with 16 goals in 28 games and he also shone on the international stage as he helped the Republic of Ireland secure qualification for the World Cup play-offs.
In November last year he scored both goals in a 2-0 win over Portugal and three days later added a hat-trick, including a 96th-minute winner, in a 3-2 win away to Hungary.
In doing so, Parrott became the first Republic of Ireland player to score a hat-trick in an away game for the men’s team and the first Irish player to score a competitive treble for the men’s team since Robbie Keane in 2014.
The forward, capped 37 times, is again set to be a pivotal player for Heimir Hallgrimsson’s side in the forthcoming Nations League in which the Irish will face Kosovo, Austria and Israel in Group B3.
Real Betis finished fifth in La Liga in the 2025-26 season, meaning that they qualified for the Champions League.
>
Sports
Crystal Palace transfer news: United States prospect Zavier Gozo joins on five-year contract
Crystal Palace have signed forward Zavier Gozo from Real Salt Lake for a reported $15m (£11.1m).
The 19-year-old has signed a five-year deal with Palace, subject to international clearance.
Gozo joined the Real Salt Lake academy in 2021 and made his Major League Soccer debut as a 16-year-old in October 2023.
He has scored six goals and made four assists in RSL’s first 16 league games of the year and was selected for the season’s MLS All-Star Game.
The Utah-born prospect has been capped by the United States at every level up to under-23s.
He becomes Palace’s sixth signing of the summer transfer window, following Oscar Mingueza, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Dwight McNeil, Evann Guessand and Anan Khalaili.
Palace start their Premier League season under new head coach Pierre Sage on Saturday at Everton (15:00 BST).
>
Sports
Fantasy Premier League: Five tips from last season’s FPL champion
Speaking of Haaland, Ibsen says last season’s highest-scoring player was “pretty much constantly” in his team last year.
The City forward is currently the most expensive FPL player of all time at £15.5m, but Ibsen is still planning on including him.
“There’s no-one else like Haaland,” said Ibsen.
“Yes there’s no-one as expensive as him, but you can still make a great team around him because everyone else is so cheap.
“I don’t have to sacrifice a lot. A team with Haaland, Florian Wirtz, Dominik Szoboszlai, Joao Pedro, a good keeper and a good defence is possible.
“Plus, he makes the game really straightforward. If you’re in doubt about who to captain, you always have him. He’s a really nice player to have.”
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
