Sports
Cincinnati Open: Aryna Sabalenka wins but Daniil Medvedev’s frustrations boil over
World number one Aryna Sabalenka needed just 54 minutes to reach the Cincinnati Open fourth round – but Daniil Medvedev could not hide his frustration after missing three match points in a surprise defeat.
Sabalenka did not face a break point in a 6-1 6-3 win over China’s Wang Xinyu.
The Belarusian lost only six points in eight service games and committed just five unforced errors to 17 winners in a composed performance.
It was Sabalenka’s easiest win for some time following her fourth-round Wimbledon exit and an early loss in Canada last week.
“To get this win in under an hour [is] an insane result and I’m so happy to be through,” the 28-year-old said.
“I think I really trusted myself and I was going for my shots without overthinking.
“That was the weapon of tonight’s match.”
Sabalenka is the two-time defending champion at the US Open, which begins on Sunday, 30 August.
No woman since Serena Williams in 2014 has won the New York title three times in a row.
Sabalenka’s position as world number one is also under threat from Australian Open champion Elena Rybakina.
Four-time major singles champion Sabalenka had a 354-point gap over Rybakina going into Cincinnati.
Rybakina must reach the final to have a chance at surpassing Sabalenka. If Sabalenka reaches the quarter-finals, Rybakina would need to win the title to become world number one.
Sabalenka will face Czech Sara Bejlek for a place in the last eight.
Earlier, fourth seed Medvedev lost his cool after squandering a match-winning position against Brandon Nakashima.
The Russian had fought back from 5-2 down in the first set to take it on a tie-break and had three match points on the American’s serve at 5-4 in the second.
However, Nakashima saved them and won a subsequent tie-break – then ran away with the third set to win 6-7 (3-7) 7-6 (7-4) 6-1.
Medvedev hurled his racquet at the electronic boards at the back of the court – briefly breaking it – after missing the match points.
He also kicked the screen and knocked over several microphones after committing 51 unforced errors in a poor display.
“Down match points, I was just trying to tell myself to keep fighting for every point,” Nakashima said.
“I’m super happy with the level in the third.”
>
Sports
5 Live Boxing with Steve Bunce – Punch Perfect: 4. Are Crossover Fights Ruining The Sweet Science?
Available for over a year
Ade Oladipo, Emily Eubank, and Liam Gough return to give their unfiltered takes on the fight game in another punchy episode of The Punch Perfect Podcast on BBC Sounds!
The gang steps straight into ‘The Clinch’ to take on a heated debate rocking modern combat sports. Producer Jay hands over the envelope, starting a strict three-minute timer for the hosts to dissect a contentious statement: “It is time to implement mandatory hydration testing or same-day weigh-ins.” Is gimmick matchmaking pulling eyes away from true fighters, or does it bring a much-needed new audience to the sport? The trio has just one round to clash and reach a final decision.
Next up, it’s back to ‘The Blueprint’ to build the next vital piece of their Frankenstein GOAT. With George Foreman lock-in for power, Chris Eubank Senior taking heart and resilience, and marketability already checked off, the hosts turn their attention to pure skill: BOXING TECHNIQUE. This section is all about the sweet science, masterful defence, and ring intelligence. Ade, Emily, and Liam each bring three legendary technicians to the table for elimination rounds, battling it out to select the single ultimate master of technique to add to their ultimate fighter.
Finally, the bell rings for ‘The Final Round’ as Ade steps forward with a spicy hot take on fighter welfare and weight cutting: “Are Crossover events do more harm than good for boxing” The panel weighs the extreme dangers of drastic weight cuts against the logistics of changing a system deeply ingrained in the sport.
Expertly argued, sharp, and brutally honest – don’t miss out! Subscribe to The Punch Perfect Podcast on BBC Sounds, leave your thoughts in the comments, and follow along as the Frankenstein GOAT takes shape!
>
Sports
Troy Parrott: Republic of Ireland striker on verge of move to Real Betis
Real Betis are in advanced talks with AZ Alkmaar over a 20m euros (£17.1m) deal to sign Republic of Ireland striker Troy Parrott.
It is understood an agreement between the Dutch club Alkmaar and Spain’s Betis is now close.
West Ham had been heavily linked with a move for the 24-year-old forward, who began his career at Tottenham.
Parrott joined Alkmaar in July 2024 from Spurs, having spent the previous season on loan at another Dutch club, Excelsior Rotterdam.
He began last season in prolific form, scoring 10 goals in his first seven appearances but a knee ligament injury sustained at the end of August kept him out of action until October.
Parrot ended the Dutch league season with 16 goals in 28 games and he also shone on the international stage as he helped the Republic of Ireland secure qualification for the World Cup play-offs.
In November last year he scored both goals in a 2-0 win over Portugal and three days later added a hat-trick, including a 96th-minute winner, in a 3-2 win away to Hungary.
In doing so, Parrott became the first Republic of Ireland player to score a hat-trick in an away game for the men’s team and the first Irish player to score a competitive treble for the men’s team since Robbie Keane in 2014.
The forward, capped 37 times, is again set to be a pivotal player for Heimir Hallgrimsson’s side in the forthcoming Nations League in which the Irish will face Kosovo, Austria and Israel in Group B3.
Real Betis finished fifth in La Liga in the 2025-26 season, meaning that they qualified for the Champions League.
>
Sports
Crystal Palace transfer news: United States prospect Zavier Gozo joins on five-year contract
Crystal Palace have signed forward Zavier Gozo from Real Salt Lake for a reported $15m (£11.1m).
The 19-year-old has signed a five-year deal with Palace, subject to international clearance.
Gozo joined the Real Salt Lake academy in 2021 and made his Major League Soccer debut as a 16-year-old in October 2023.
He has scored six goals and made four assists in RSL’s first 16 league games of the year and was selected for the season’s MLS All-Star Game.
The Utah-born prospect has been capped by the United States at every level up to under-23s.
He becomes Palace’s sixth signing of the summer transfer window, following Oscar Mingueza, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Dwight McNeil, Evann Guessand and Anan Khalaili.
Palace start their Premier League season under new head coach Pierre Sage on Saturday at Everton (15:00 BST).
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
