Connect with us

Sports

Champions League: Celtic find value in Camilo Duran – but does ambition reach further still?

Published

on

The Swede set Celtic on their way and Duran’s double did the rest, a gorgeous volley – on the back of hustling and harassing of the LASK defence – and then that sumptuous team goal that rounded it off.

O’Neill said the club has a bargain in Duran and the early signs are that he was an absolute steal at somewhere between £4.5m and £6m, depending on who’s talking.

The Colombian has intelligence and guile but he’s also got the work-ethic that means every bit as much as his other qualities.

In the 72nd minute, Celtic were 3-0 ahead, and yet there the 24-year-old was darting back into defence to help out, tracking LASK men until they were hounded out of possession.

As much as his goals, his lung-busting effort to put in a shift made him a hero of the night for Celtic people. Honesty counts for a lot.

It’s easy to say that Celtic learned their lesson from a year ago and splashed the cash. They spent close to £30m and now they’re getting their reward. It’s never that simple.

Spending is something that Celtic have done a lot of over the years. Spending wisely has been their problem. Splurging money on last-minute loans who, surprisingly, turn out to be duds.

Forking out multiple millions on recent and not so recent failures – from Balikwisha to Barkas – has been the problem. The decision-making has been awful too often.

Duran represents a return to form, a reminder of the days when they found value, mostly under Ange Postecoglou.

We’re too quick to write off players and we can also be too quick to brand them as stars in waiting. You should tread carefully at all times. With Duran we’ll take the plunge – this guy looks special.

Beyond offering a physical distraction, Kasper Hogh was quiet against LASK, but he will score plenty in the weeks and months ahead. At £11m, he, too, looks like money very well spent.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Kyle Tucker’s career-worst hitless streak ends with double down the line

Published

on

Kyle Tucker has needed something to go right.

Tucker, who has endured the worst season of his career in the first year of his four-year, $240 million deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers, had been in the midst of the longest hitless stretch as a big leaguer. He’d gone 26 at-bats without a hit by the time he came up in the fourth inning Tuesday against the Colorado Rockies.

Then he got a two-strike changeup in on his hands and grounded it down the first-base line, past first baseman TJ Rumfield and into right field for a run-scoring double against Ryan Feltner.

It was Tucker’s first hit in nine days. The Dodgers dugout erupted. Manager Dave Roberts went to the top step of the dugout and raised his fist in celebration.

One swing cannot erase what has been a disappointing season for Tucker, who set a record for average annual value with his contract with the reigning back-to-back World Series champions. Still, it was a much-needed result.

Tucker produced an 0-for-19 homestand, plunging his extreme home-road splits down even further, as he ranks dead last in the majors among hitters at home with a 55 OPS+. Roberts sat him for Saturday’s game, he said, partially because he felt that Tucker’s struggles at home were getting to him. Tucker dropped fly balls in consecutive games on Sunday and Monday, leading one of the Dodgers’ commentators, Eric Karros, to discuss on the broadcast whether it would be best to send Tucker to the club’s spring complex in Arizona to reset.

It has felt like rock bottom for Tucker’s season, which has never really gotten going.

“He just hasn’t caught that … long hot streak,” Dodgers hitting coach Robert Van Scoyoc told The Athletic this weekend. “You’ve seen it maybe for a series or a couple of games, but not for an extended period like he’s capable of.”

Tucker’s struggles have been hard to pin down at home or on the road (where he entered Tuesday with an .822 OPS — essentially his career-level production). Tucker has tinkered with his swing. Roberts and the coaching staff have hammered home the principles of Tucker’s approach. Nothing has quite clicked.

“It’s been probably a little bit of both, probably a bit of mechanics and consistency with that,” Tucker said. “Pitch selection at times has been up and down. I think probably at times it’s easy to get focused on one and lose track of the other.”

Tucker’s contract and struggles have made him an avatar for the Dodgers’ underachieving offense. Rather than be a floor-raiser for the group, he has contributed to their overall inconsistency. The offense has been faltering lately, with Roberts calling out the group’s collective approach and pitch-to-pitch focus on Sunday after dropping a series against the Milwaukee Brewers. The Dodgers’ offense has struggled for a while now, ranking 20th in the majors with a 94 wRC+ since the start of July.

Tucker entered Tuesday striking out 18.2 percent of the time, his highest rate since 2020. He’s walking less often (12.2 percent) than in any season since 2023. Neither is too far away from the league’s norms, however.

Tucker simply isn’t impacting the baseball. His barrel rate, per Baseball Savant, is 6 percent, nearly half of the 10.8 percent he averaged a year ago with the Chicago Cubs and his lowest rate of any full season of his career.

“I feel like I’ve tried just about everything,” Tucker told the California Post before Monday’s game. “And every time I feel like I’m turning a corner, I get hit with a roadblock.”

His double on Tuesday was hardly the type of contact Tucker is seeking. His grounder down the line traveled just 85.8 mph off of his bat.

Given the week that preceded it, though, it was much needed.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Nick Kyrgios tests positive for cocaine at ATP event: ‘A huge mistake’

Published

on

2022 Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has tested positive for cocaine at an ATP Tour event and has been provisionally suspended.

Kyrgios, 31, provided a sample at June’s Mallorca Championships, which was confirmed to contain a metabolite of cocaine July 17 after testing.

The suspension has been in place since August 4, and Kyrgios, 31, has not appealed it, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said Wednesday.

He lost his opening match at the Mallorca Championships to countryman Adam Walton in straight sets.

In a statement Wednesday, Kyrgios said that he “made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it.

“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”

Nick Kyrgios tests positive for cocaine

Amelie Claydon

Other tennis stars have tested positive for cocaine in recent history. Britain’s Dan Evans, who retired from tennis earlier this summer, was banned for a year after testing positive in 2017. In 2009, France’s Richard Gasquet, a former world No. 7, tested positive and was provisionally banned for 12 months, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) accepted his defense that he had been contaminated after kissing a woman in a nightclub.

The duration of Kyrgios’ ban will depend in part on whether he is found to have deliberately taken the drug, and in part on whether the incident happened before the tournament started.

The Australian has played just four matches in 2026, as he navigates a late career defined by persistent and serious injuries. Kyrgios underwent a full wrist reconstruction in September 2023, after suffering a full rupture of a key ligament that stabilizes the joint, and has struggled to generate any kind of momentum since. He did not play his home Grand Slam in 2026, after losing in the first round the previous year while playing through abdominal discomfort.

“Seeing the fans line up for four, five hours, just the amount of people that were there supporting me, it was hard to throw the towel in,” he said in a news conference at the time.

In his statement, Kyrgios said: “I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been. The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.

“I’ve always said that I didn’t choose tennis — tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone.”

Kyrgios has spoken about how he has had to manage his mental health during his career. In an interview with the Sydney Telegraph in 2020 and an Instagram post in 2022, he discussed managing depression and the loneliness of tennis, stating in the latter that he had abused alcohol and drugs.

The best period of his career also came in 2022, when he reached the Wimbledon final, losing to Novak Djokovic, and the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open. An almost unreadable, lightning-fast serve backed up by creative all-court tennis made Kyrgios both a formidable opponent and a compelling watch, and he remains one of a select group to have recorded a win over each of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Kyrgios’ on-court behavior was often combustible and his off-court behavior has drawn heavy criticism from some tennis fans. In 2023, he pleaded guilty to common assault of his then girlfriend Chiara Passari two years earlier, before the charge was dismissed in an Australian court.

He has also been criticized for his commentary about women in tennis. The following year, Kyrgios was admonished for writing “second serve” under a picture of himself and another ex: fellow ATP Tour star Jannik Sinner’s by-then girlfriend, the top-40 WTA player Anna Kalinskaya.

When Sinner and six-time Grand Slam champion Iga Świątek tested positive for clostebol and trimetazidine respectively, in cases which anti-doping authorities found to be caused by contamination, Kyrgios labeled the impact as “disgusting” for tennis.

In his statement Wednesday, Kyrgios said that he would be taking time away from social media and the public eye to work on himself.

“I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better,” he said.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd speak candidly about relationship in upcoming UConn doc

Published

on

Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd speak publicly for the first time about their romantic relationship in an upcoming docuseries on Apple TV.

The three-part series, titled “The Dynasty: UConn Huskies” and set to be released Aug. 21, covers the breadth of UConn’s indomitable four-decade run under head coach Geno Auriemma. In one of the trailers Apple TV posted on its social media platforms, the former UConn stars and current teammates for the WNBA’s Dallas Wings spoke about their time in college and about their relationship that blossomed in Storrs, Conn.

In the clip, Fudd said that they never kept their relationship a secret, just refrained from sharing it publicly.

“Paige and I are a couple, and everyone close to us that was important knew, but it was kind of one of those things. … It’s just, it’s private. Not a secret, but it’s private,” Fudd said.

Bueckers arrived at UConn in 2020 as the nation’s top recruit, and Fudd came a year later, also as a top-rated freshman.

“It kinda just meshed as soon as we met,” Bueckers said. “She’s sweet, she’s genuine, she has a huge, caring heart.”

By the time Fudd got to UConn, Bueckers was already the reigning AP Player of the Year and a first-team All-American. During the duo’s tenure at UConn under Auriemma, both lost seasons to torn ACLs, with Fudd also tearing her meniscus. Bueckers missed all of 2022-23, while Fudd endured her season-ending injury two games into the 2023-24 season.

The players bonded through their shared hardships on their journeys to the pinnacle of collegiate women’s basketball.

“We kind of felt a spark a little bit different than what would just be considered a normal friendship,” Bueckers said.

Both chosen No. 1 in the WNBA Draft by the Dallas Wings — Bueckers in 2025, Fudd in 2026 — they were rumored to be dating before Bueckers confirmed their romantic relationship during an interview in July 2025. Earlier, Fudd had posted a selfie to social media that showed her phone case had the message “Paige Bueckers’ girlfriend” on it.

When Fudd was asked about their dating status at her introductory press conference in Dallas before the 2026 season, a member of the Wings public relations staff shut down the question and Fudd didn’t answer. Bueckers later read a statement addressing the topic, clarifying their desire for privacy.

“Quite frankly, I believe me and Azzi’s personal relationship is nobody’s business, but our own, and what we choose to share is completely up to us.”

Their on-court relationship proved fruitful for UConn once both players had become veterans and became healthy enough to share the court in 2024-25. In Fudd’s fourth year at UConn, Bueckers’ fifth and final season under Auriemma, the Huskies went 37-3 and capped their season with an 82-59 rout of South Carolina in the national championship game.

It was the Huskies’ first championship since 2016 and ended the program’s longest title drought since 1995.

Bueckers was named a first-team All-American for the third time and went on to become the No. 1 pick in 2025 to Dallas. She then won WNBA Rookie of the Year, averaging 19.2 points and 5.4 assists in her first season without Fudd as a teammate since 2020-21.

Fudd stayed at UConn for another year, averaging a career-high 17.3 points per game. She was named a first-team All-American in 2025-26. Fudd teamed with AP Women’s Player of the Year Sarah Strong to lead UConn to a 38-1 record before the Huskies lost to South Carolina in the Final Four.

The Wings then drafted Fudd No. 1 in the 2026 WNBA Draft, reuniting her with Bueckers.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.