Connect with us

Sports

SFA ‘fully supports’ referee Don Robertson & releases audio from Celtic v Hearts

Published

on

After Celtic were awarded a controversial late penalty against Motherwell in the penultimate round of league fixtures, referee John Beaton was placed under police surveillance after his personal details were leaked online.

Last week, Police Scotland confirmed a man, 19, has been charged “in connection with a data protection offence” and will appear in court at a later date.

Now, the Scottish Senior Football Referees’ Association has released a statement saying “irresponsible commentary from some managers, clubs and sections of the media has only served to fuel an already toxic environment”.

It also condemns “unacceptable” pitch invasions – which “must never be accepted as the norm” – and says if these incidents continue it “will reserve all options open to us”.

“We accept scrutiny is a part of football, but what we have witnessed in the last month has been entirely disproportionate and crossed the line from legitimate debate into behaviour risking the safety of officials and their family,” the statement said.

“No referee should be subjected to this abuse, intimidation, threats or the leaking of private information simply for carrying out their duties. Such conduct has no place in Scottish football or society more generally.

“We also note with particular concern the unacceptable behaviour of supporters entering the field of play. This dangerous and abhorrent behaviour must never be accepted as the norm.

“We call on the relevant authorities to significantly strengthen their regulatory framework so that meaningful sanctions can be imposed, both as a punishment and as a strong deterrent, before such time as a match official or player suffers serious harm.

“Referees perform a difficult role in an intensely demanding environment and deserve the same respect, and protection afforded to everyone else in the game.

“Scottish football cannot thrive in an atmosphere where referees are subjected to personal attacks for making decisions in the course of their duties.

“Should this behaviour continue, we will reserve all options open to us. We urge all stakeholders to work together to ensure Scottish football remains safe for everyone involved.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa confirms departure at end of season

Published

on

Real Madrid head coach Alvaro Arbeloa has confirmed that he will leave the club at the end of the season, with Jose Mourinho set to be named as his replacement.

The 43-year-old was promoted from his role leading Real Madrid B in January, replacing former Liverpool team-mate Xabi Alonso, and will now depart the club after a trophyless season.

Mourinho, who has been in charge of Benfica this season, is in final negotiations to take charge at Real, having previously been their manager from 2010 to 2013.

Speaking in a news conference prior to Real’s final match of the season, at home to Athletic Bilbao on Saturday, Arbeloa said he would be departing rather than joining Mourinho’s staff.

“Mou has a fantastic technical team, he’s got good people around him, if he comes to Madrid he will come with his team,” said Arbeloa.

“There’s no chance that I would be with him. Then, my future… from Monday I’ll think about that.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Ivan Toney: Why Thomas Tuchel brought striker back into England squad

Published

on

This season, Toney finished second in the domestic scoring charts with 32 goals in 32 games – he evens boasts more assists and a better shot conversion rate than Bayern Munich forward Kane.

Just what those goals are worth outside Europe’s top five leagues is yet to be seen, but on numbers alone his record stands up to scrutiny against any English striker around.

Given he is also one of only three centre-forwards selected by Tuchel, with Ollie Watkins also in the squad, it does not feel like a position that is overmanned given that 26 squad places were up for grabs.

Previous Three Lions squads at major tournaments have at times included four or five personnel for the exact same position.

The argument against his inclusion would ask why England need another forward aside from Kane and Watkins, given modern-day formational switches and a dearth of top-quality options for that position?

Detractors would also argue Toney’s place should be used to accomodate another of those multi-talented number 10s who have been left behind.

However, former Chelsea and Paris St-Germain boss Tuchel could make a viable case for leaving behind Palmer and Foden, who have not hit previous heights in 2025-26.

Instead he has gone for a player brimming with confidence and one that is accustomed to dealing with the intense temperatures that England will encounter this summer at the tournament in the US, Mexico and Canada.

“We could see that he still collects the numbers. I think he has very special skills that could help us, the situations, scenarios when we are chasing a result,” added Tuchel.

“I think he can be a very valuable addition to Harry Kane, he can be present in the box when we are pushing for a goal.

“He can take attention off other strikers, he has a natural presence within the box, he is a natural finisher, he can help us with set-pieces – he is very strong in there. Very good in using his body and not to forget, he is a world class penalty taker. He ticks some boxes that we wanted to be ticked.”

The Three Lions, who reached the semi-finals in Russia in 2018 and the quarter-finals in Qatar four years ago, face Croatia in their opening Group L fixture on Wednesday, 17 June (21:00 BST).

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Zoe Stratford & Tatyana Heard among Gloucester Hartpury exits

Published

on

England captain Zoe Stratford and fellow Women’s Rugby World Cup winner Tatyana Heard will leave three-time reigning Premiership Women’s Rugby champions Gloucester Hartpury at the end of the season “to pursue new challenges”.

Back row Sarah Beckett, who won the last of her 35 England caps against Italy in 2024, will also leave the club.

Stratford, who is currently pregnant with her first child and not playing, joined Gloucester-Hartpury in 2017 and played a key role in their rise to become the dominant force in the women’s domestic game.

“Gloucester Hartpury will always hold a special place in my heart,” she said.

“It has given me so much over the years. I have learnt, grown, and been shaped by the experiences I’ve had along the way.

“Thank you to the amazing fans who have supported us through the tough times eight years ago, when we were a mid-table team, all the way through to becoming three-time champions. It’s been a crazy journey.

“To the amazing girls I’ve had the pleasure of playing alongside, thank you for making this chapter of my life so unbelievably memorable. I will cherish your friendship, and the memories we made both on and off the pitch, for the rest of my life.”

Stratford, 29, co-owns a coffee shop with club and country team-mate Natasha Hunt close to Kingsholm, but her husband Luke was appointed as scrum coach for Sale Sharks’ women’s side in February 2025.

Tatyana Heard is sidelined with a foot injury which kept her out of the Red Roses’ recent Women’s Six Nations triumph, but the 31-year-old aims to bid farewell with another title.

In coach Dan Murphy’s first season in charge, Gloucester Hartpury have a perfect record of 14 wins from 14 regular-season games and are essentially sure of a home semi-final already.

“When I joined in 2017, I never would have foreseen the opportunities that would come my way and I’m so thankful for everyone within this club who has made the past nine years so memorable,” said Heard.

“I’m excited for the opportunity to create more memories with this group over the next few weeks and hope we can end this season on a high.”

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.