Connect with us

Sports

VIkings’ Jamal Adams diagnosed with season-ending knee injury: Source

Published

on

The worst-case scenario that the Minnesota Vikings feared Saturday is now a reality: Veteran safety Jamal Adams will miss the entire 2026 season with a knee injury, a team source told The Athletic on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly.

Adams injured his knee during the second quarter of the Vikings’ preseason opener Saturday against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, N.J.

After the game, head coach Kevin O’Connell said the team’s initial examination didn’t look good, and that was confirmed Sunday.

“I told the team after the game, ‘This guy has come in and impacted our organization,’” O’Connell said Saturday. “He’s energy every day. Affecting people in a positive way. We’ve absolutely loved his play style, his competes. And he was genuinely carving out a significant role for himself by totally being all in on the process.”

Adams stumbled while defending receiver Calvin Austin III on the play that resulted in his injury. Adams had drifted backward from the line of scrimmage and into coverage. When Austin crossed from the right side of the field to the left, Adams slipped and stayed on the turf for an extensive period. Following a lengthy trip to the medical tent, he was transported off the field on a cart.

Vikings teammates and coaches consoled Adams on the sideline before he left the field. Safety Josh Metellus and cornerback Byron Murphy Jr., specifically, appeared distraught after the injury. Metellus said after Saturday’s game that Adams had spoken to the defense earlier this week about his journey: being drafted with the sixth pick in 2017, becoming an All-Pro, and missing major chunks of five separate seasons due to injury.

Metellus shared that Adams talked about everything — the mental toll, the gratitude, the current opportunity.

“This game takes a lot from you, and it doesn’t really give too much,” Metellus said. “He’s given constant, relentless effort to play the game he loves. To fall short year in and year out, I think it’s definitely been tough. His football journey hasn’t given him what he’s wanted. But that’s the name of the game.”

The 30-year-old former All-Pro signed a one-year contract for just north of $1.4 million with the Vikings before training camp began. He told reporters he chose the team because of his previous relationship with general manager Nolan Teasley and his respect for defensive coordinator Brian Flores. Quickly, he developed relationships with Metellus and Murphy. His versatility intrigued coaches.

Adams played 11 snaps before Saturday’s injury. He lined up near the line of scrimmage and in the slot, showcasing a potentially creative role. His injury history, which includes a torn quad in 2022, clouds his future. It also adds further urgency for Minnesota to find safety depth.

Adams, who was entering his 10th season in the NFL, is a three-time Pro Bowl selection. He was first-team All-Pro in 2019 when he had 75 tackles and 6.5 sacks for the New York Jets.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Fire vs. Mercury: TV channel and streaming options for August 16

Published

on

Holly Winterburn leads the Portland Fire (14-20) into a matchup with the Phoenix Mercury (13-22) after scoring 20 points in an 84-82 win over the Storm. The game is on Sunday, August 16, 2026, starting at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN and Disney+.

How to watch Portland Fire vs. Phoenix Mercury

Portland vs. Phoenix odds

  • Spread: Phoenix -5.5 (-105), Portland +5.5 (-115)
  • Favorite Moneyline: Phoenix -208
  • Underdog Moneyline: Portland +170
  • Total: 178.5
  • Total Over Odds: -110
  • Total Under Odds: -110

Injury reports

Mercury

Kelsey Plum: Out (Calf)

Fire

Sania Feagin: Out For Season (Knee),

Sarah Ashlee Barker: Out For Season (Knee)

Stats to know

  • The 83.9 points per game the Mercury score are 7.4 fewer points than the Fire allow (91.3).
  • Portland’s 86.7 points per game are just 0.7 fewer points than the 87.4 Phoenix allows to opponents.
  • Alyssa Thomas puts up 14.8 points, 7.4 boards and 8.2 assists per contest, while shooting 51.4% from the floor (ninth in league).
  • Bridget Carleton posts 14.6 points, 2.1 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Julio Aguilar, Ethan Miller, Steph Chambers / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

49ers TE George Kittle close to practicing, has ‘chance’ to play in opener

Published

on

San Francisco 49ers star tight end George Kittle said Sunday he’s nearing a return to practice from a torn Achilles tendon, and he hopes to be ready to play in the Sept. 10 season opener against the Los Angeles Rams in Australia.

Kittle said he’s “very confident” he will be activated from the physically unable to perform list before Week 1, meaning he would not miss the season’s first four games. As for facing the Rams?

“I have a chance,” Kittle said. “We’re running around a lot, hitting top speeds. Hopefully we’re back in pads practicing sooner than later. Just trying to check the boxes and not be a dumbass.

“These next couple weeks here are everything,” he added later. “That will let me know whether I’m ready to play in Week 1.”

The 49ers substation theory isn’t looking in the right place.

Kittle, who turns 33 in October, tore the Achilles in his right leg Jan. 11 in the wild-card playoffs against the Philadelphia Eagles. He said his surgeon, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, told him after the surgery that he had a chance to be ready for the 2026 opener, which added motivation during his rehab.

“It was pretty easy to light a fire every day,” Kittle said.

The seven-time Pro Bowler said he’s been hitting all his benchmarks for speed and acceleration numbers. He hinted he’d be back at practice shortly but declined to give a timeline.

“I’ve got to keep you guys on your toes,” he teased. “I can’t give you all your information.”

Kittle said he wants to practice in pads and build up his football stamina before Week 1. He suggested that if he’s not ready to play in the opener, he would stay behind in Santa Clara when the rest of the team takes off for Melbourne, which will be roughly a week before the Sept. 10 game.

“I don’t want my first time in pads to be in Australia,” he said. “Because I don’t think that would be a very smart idea.”

Kittle said he isn’t going to jeopardize the full season just to play in the opener.

“If you miss Week 1 and you play Week 2 — hey, it is what it is,” he said. “I’m just going to keep (Week 1) as my goal, and we’ll adjust from there if we need to.”

Still, he said his rehabilitation plan has been “very aggressive” from the beginning.

He was in a cast for roughly two weeks, and immediately after it came off, he was picking up marbles with his toes and doing seated calf raises. Eight weeks after surgery, he was on the golf course at Bandon Dunes in Oregon.

“That’s actually the first thing I thought of after I got hurt — this is gonna really mess up my golf game this offseason,” he said. “I actually played the best golf of my life. I was pretty excited about that.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Dodgers place All-Star Justin Wrobleski on IL with forearm inflammation

Published

on

LOS ANGELES — Justin Wrobleski’s breakout year for the Los Angeles Dodgers is on pause, as the first-time All-Star landed on the injured list Sunday with what the club called left forearm inflammation.

Wrobleski, who broke into the rotation in April and has emerged as one of the steadiest arms for the reigning back-to-back World Series champions, has struggled since the All-Star break as he approaches a professional career-high at 126 1/3 innings. He surrendered a pair of home runs and allowed four runs over six innings in Saturday’s 4-1 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers, but he came away encouraged that his stuff and delivery were finally where he wants them to be.

“I think today I kind of figured something out a little bit,” Wrobleski said after the start. “With my delivery and with everything, I feel like I’m in a good spot moving forward, as odd as that sounds.”

Wrobleski averaged 96 mph on his fastball and topped out at 98.7 mph Saturday — both season-highs. But a concerning trend also continued: The two home runs Wrobleski allowed gave him 11 homers allowed in 26 innings since making his first All-Star appearance, a stretch where he had a 6.92 ERA.

How can the Dodgers solve their sudden closer issue?

Ken Rosenthal and Johnny Sweet

Before the break, Wrobleski had a 2.69 ERA, emerging as a surprise story with his bullying approach of pounding the strike zone and a nickname, “The Shark,” bestowed upon him by Hall of Famer Pedro Martínez. Now, it’s up to 3.56.

The Dodgers and Wrobleski have downplayed the role fatigue might be having on his recent downturn. He previously threw 132 innings across three levels in 2024, and totaled 88 innings between Triple A and the majors in 2025.

Wrobleski said Saturday he was “feeling as good as I can right now.”

If Wrobleski makes it back this season, it might not be as a starter, as manager Dave Roberts said Saturday he expects Wrobleski to slot into a bullpen role this October — something he did during the team’s 2025 run.

Kyle Hurt was recalled in Wrobleski’s place. Sunday’s IL placement comes at a time when the Dodgers could use an extra bullpen arm. The club has been running a seven-man bullpen, with Roberts saying this weekend that “essentially all of our relievers are overworked right now.” A trip to Coors Field this coming week will provide another test as the team wraps up a stretch of 13 games without a break.

The team has an off day Thursday, and again the following Monday, meaning the club can still get its five healthy starters adequate rest while having a typical eight-man group in the bullpen.

Tyler Glasnow is expected to return to the Dodgers’ rotation after those two off days, as long as all goes well in his final start on his rehab assignment. Glasnow has been out since May with back spasms.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.