Connect with us

Sports

Fifa: Kevin Lamour leaves after criticising president Gianni Infantino

Published

on

Fifa’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has left the governing body less than three weeks after he strongly criticised its president Gianni Infantino’s aborted plan to sell stakes in competitions to private investors.

In a statement, a spokesperson said: “Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.

“Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”

It declined to comment on reports that Lamour had been dismissed.

BBC Sport has been told that Fifa’s staff were informed of Lamour’s departure in an email by its secretary general Mattias Grafstrom on Monday evening.

Last month, Lamour described the controversial Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) plans as “the project of one person”, and said “the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions”.

He added Fifa’s own administration was “deceived” about the now abandoned project.

“Our mission – the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary Fifa employees – is to serve football”, he added.

“A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite.”

Lamour acknowledged he had a duty of loyalty to his employer but also to “certain values” and supporting his colleagues.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

Lamour joined Fifa in November 2024, having previously served as deputy general secretary at Uefa, and was two layers of management below Infantino.

Earlier this month, Infantino received the backing of senior executives in a meeting in Morocco, but BBC Sport was told Lamour was not invited.

Lamour has been approached for comment.

In a letter sent to members of Fifa’s Council, and seen by BBC Sport, Grafstrom wrote: “I would like to provide you with an important update regarding a change within the Fifa Administration.

“Following recent discussions, Fifa and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally… I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of Fifa on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Giants’ Malik Nabers takes another big step toward being ready for Week 1

Published

on

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — New York Giants star wide receiver Malik Nabers participated in full-speed team drills Monday, the first time he’s done so since tearing his ACL in Week 4 last season.

Nabers, who said he “felt good” after practice, took four reps in the 11-on-11 period and three in seven-on-seven while wearing a red, non-contact jersey; Monday’s practice was in shells, so there was no contact. Nabers wasn’t targeted during the 11-on-11 period, but he made catches on all three reps in seven-on-seven, including his last one, a leaping grab on a high pass.

After the seven-on-seven period, Nabers moved off to the side and ran routes with a trainer, which Nabers said was pre-planned and not the result of anything negative that happened Monday.

It’s clear Nabers isn’t quite 100 percent yet, but Monday was still a significant step forward in the recovery process for the Giants’ 2024 first-round draft pick, who is expected to play a huge role in the passing offense this year. The Giants have remained hopeful throughout training camp that Nabers will be ready to play Week 1. While that’s still no guarantee, it appears as though he’s on track.

The dynamic receiver immediately established himself as a star as a rookie, recording 109 receptions, 1,204 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in 2024. Before suffering his season-ending injury last year, Nabers tallied 18 receptions for 271 yards and two touchdowns in parts of four games.

Despite speculation throughout the spring and summer, Nabers did not start training camp on the physically unable to perform list. Instead, he’s been working in individual drills, catching passes and running routes as practice kicks off. He’s participated in offensive install as well as in walkthrough practices; he has only missed one day as he’s ramped back up.

In last Thursday’s practice, Nabers reached what coach John Harbaugh called a “milestone” as he partook in team drills in a “no-physicality practice.” While the practice resembled what the Giants did in their West Virginia walk-throughs, Harbaugh and the team clearly viewed Nabers’ progress last week as a huge step forward.

“I feel like the players were excited when we talked about it in meetings (Thursday) morning,” Harbaugh said. “They were excited. They were giving him a hard time at practice. But everybody was happy he was out there. It’s a big step.”

In other Giants news, the team signed quarterback Jake Haener while releasing QB Brandon Allen in a corresponding move Monday. Allen struggled in New York’s preseason opener Saturday, finishing 5-of-8 passing for 45 yards with two interceptions against the Minnesota Vikings. He also took one sack.

Haener, meanwhile, had worked out for the Giants before camp started. It remains to be determined if the Giants will keep another quarterback behind starter Jaxson Dart and backup Jameis Winston on their opening 53-man roster, but the ex-Saints QB will have a couple of weeks to prove himself in Giants camp.

Finally, the Giants hosted veteran running back Najee Harris for a visit Monday. The 28-year-old is working back from a torn Achilles he suffered early last season while a member of the Los Angeles Chargers and playing for John Harbaugh’s brother, Jim.

The Giants have had Harris on their radar for a while and are likely eager to take a look at how far along he is in his recovery. It’s also worth noting that depth running back Dante “Turbo” Miller is currently out with a groin injury. He appeared to have sustained the injury Saturday while covering a punt.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Padres vs. Mets: TV channel and streaming options for August 17

Published

on

The New York Mets will try to keep a three-game win streak alive when they host the San Diego Padres at 7:10 p.m. ET on Monday. Nolan McLean (8-8, 3.42 ERA) gets the start for the Mets, who are 56-69 this season and fifth in the NL East. Walker Buehler (7-5, 4.88 ERA) is expected to start for the Padres, who are 67-58 and second in the NL West.

How to watch San Diego Padres vs. New York Mets

Padres vs. Mets odds

  • Favorite Moneyline: Mets -125
  • Underdog Moneyline: Padres +105
  • Total: 8
  • Total Over Odds: -105
  • Total Under Odds: -115

Injury reports

Mets

Mark Vientos: 10 Day IL (Hand), Juan Soto: 10 Day IL (Calf), Austin Warren: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Cionel Perez: 15 Day IL (Forearm), Devin Williams: 15 Day IL (Shoulder), Tylor Megill: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Justin Hagenman: 60 Day IL (Rib), Reed Garrett: 60 Day IL (Elbow)

Padres

Miguel Andujar: 10 Day IL (Wrist), Samad Taylor: 10 Day IL (Oblique), Lucas Giolito: 15 Day IL (Elbow), Jason Adam: 60 Day IL (Shoulder), Joe Musgrove: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Bryan Hoeing: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Ramon Laureano: 60 Day IL (Hip), Nick Pivetta: 60 Day IL (Elbow)

Stats to know

  • Bo Bichette is hitting for a .266 BA, .313 OBP and .386 SLG with an 18.1% strikeout rate and a 6.5% walk rate. His OPS is .700 and he has scored 60 runs. In 536 plate appearances, he has hit 12 home runs and driven in 62 runs.
  • In 492 plate appearances, Carson Benge is hitting .272/.335/.415 with a .751 OPS and 18 steals on 21 attempts. He has hit 14 long balls, driven in 49 runs and scored 63 times.
  • Fernando Tatis Jr. is hitting for a .280 BA, .355 OBP and .423 SLG with an 18.6% strikeout rate and a 9.8% walk rate. His OPS is .777 and he has scored 69 runs. In 542 plate appearances, he has hit 13 home runs and driven in 56 runs. Tatis has recorded 28 steals on 41 attempts.
  • In 519 plate appearances, Manny Machado has hit 23 long balls, tallied 70 RBIs and scored 62 runs. He is batting .211/.295/.407 and has posted a 21.8% strikeout rate and a 10.8% walk rate.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Jamie Squire, Ishika Samant, Scott Taetsch, Alika Jenner / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Buss family intends to sell remaining shares in Lakers: Sources

Published

on

Jeanie Buss looks on during the unveiling of Pat Riley's statue.

If the sale goes through, Jeanie Buss will no longer be the team’s governor. Luiza Moraes / Getty Images

The Buss family, which has owned and operated the Los Angeles Lakers since March 29, 1979, intends to sell its remaining shares in the team, tagging into the $12.5 billion valuation Mark Walter received last week in a deal with Bob Iger and Josh Kushner, according to multiple sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe ongoing deliberations.

If the Buss Family Trust successfully executes the sale, Jeanie Buss will be unable to remain as the team’s governor, as league rules require at least 15 percent ownership to serve in the role. Buss retained her governorship for a period of at least five years as part of the deal to sell controlling ownership of the Lakers to Walter last summer.

According to a source with knowledge of the talks, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the deal, the trust’s beneficiaries needed at least four of six votes to approve the intent to sell. The trust, which is made up of six of Dr. Jerry Buss’ children, conducted a vote last week regarding selling. The trust’s three trustees now must enact the actual sale.

The trust voted last June to sell its controlling interest in the team to Walter at a $10 billion valuation while retaining a minority stake in the Lakers of approximately 18 percent.

In an interview with the California Post’s Khobi Price last week, Iger said the Lakers’ new ownership group would honor the governorship agreement between Walter and Jeanie Buss.

“We have enormous respect and appreciation for Jeanie, her father and what they’ve contributed to this franchise,” Iger told the California Post Wednesday.. “And we have every intention to honor the agreement that was made between Mark and Jeanie. If things change, they’ll change, but we’re going into this with enormous respect and appreciation for who she is and what she represents in the organization.”

This story will be updated.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.