Connect with us

Sports

Swiatek eases past Arango with second-set bagel

Published

on


Highlights of Iga Swiatek against Emiliana Arango from the Cincinnati Open.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Super Giants edge Rockets in thriller to secure first Hundred title

Published

on


Highlights of the men’s Hundred final between Trent Rockets and Manchester Super Giants at Lord’s.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Women’s Super League: Lucy Bronze explains why she decided to stay at Chelsea

Published

on

Although there has been no international tournament for Bronze this summer, there has not been any let-up in her busy schedule.

A girls’ soccer school in Devon, a wedding in Alicante, a trip to the men’s World Cup final in New Jersey and an eye-opening trip to Colombia’s capital Bogota have occupied much of her time.

“I did a whole day with refugees there,” she said of the Bogota visit. “These kids just make the most of everything.

“We had to get permission to be on the streets and there was a girl there who plays on this team with all the boys on this terrible little pitch in the middle of the city with all sorts going on around.

“I was able to give her [Chelsea defender] Naomi Girma’s shirt – one of the captains of the USA. I showed her pictures of Naomi wearing it and said that her parents were also refugees. It was amazing.”

While happy to make a small difference on her trip, Bronze wanted to do more, saying: “I felt like I didn’t give enough.”

She intends to be back in South America next summer, provided England navigate two rounds of qualification play-offs in the autumn to book their place at the Women’s World Cup, which Brazil will host.

On the losing side in the final against Spain in 2023, the 34-year-old ascended to third on the all-time appearances list for the Lionesses this year.

Making sure that she and England make that World Cup trip is a huge priority this season.

“Everybody knows that playing for England means the world to me,” Bronze said.

“Every experience I’ve had at the World Cup has just been phenomenal – it’s been the best moments of my career.

“I just want to win it with England.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Tottenham accept offer from Juventus for goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario

Published

on

Guglielmo Vicario waves to fans

A move to Juventus would see the 29-year-old return to Italy, where he spent his entire club career before joining Spurs in 2023. Clive Rose/Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur have accepted an offer from Juventus for goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario.

Juve’s offer for the 29-year-old is for a loan with the option to make the move to Serie A permanent and while a deal is not yet done, all parties expect it to go through.

The Atheltic reported on Sunday that the Italian club were not proceeding with a move for Emiliano Martinez from Aston Villa following talks between the clubs, and turned their attention to other targets.

A move to Juventus would see Vicario return to Italy, where he spent his entire club career before joining Spurs in 2023 from Empoli for a fee of around €20million (£17.2m, $21.9m).

The 29-year-old has served as Tottenham’s first-choice goalkeeper since his arrival, replacing former club captain Hugo Lloris, and has made 117 appearances for the club in all competitions, keeping 29 clean sheets. He started the 1-0 victory in the Europa League final in May last year, making a crucial save from a Luke Shaw header in stoppage time to ensure his side won their first trophy in 17 years.

Last season, Vicario played 43 games for Spurs but struggled with errors at times and did not appear after March 22 following surgery for a hernia. Antonin Kinsky started in Vicario’s absence and held on to the No 1 spot even when Vicario returned to the squad for the final two games of the campaign.

Vicario began his career with his Udinese and made his first senior appearance while on loan at fourth-tier side Fontanafredda in 2014. He was loaned to fellow Serie D club Venezia in 2015, helping the club achieve promotion and signing on a permanent basis the following year.

A move to Cagliari followed in 2019, along with loan spells at Perugia and Empoli, before joined the latter pemanently in 2022.

Vicario has been capped five times at senior level by Italy and was part of the squad for nation’s run to the last 16 at the 2024 European Championships, though he was an unused substitute in all four games.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.