Connect with us

Sports

Browns’ injuries, offensive concerns mount ahead of joint practice with Bills

Published

on

BEREA, Ohio — We explore some areas of concern and of note, and how both relate to the Cleveland Browns’ itinerary for the rest of this week — the final true week of training camp under first-year head coach Todd Monken.

Offensive line injuries

Last week, Monken said the team had zeroed in on its starting offensive line. But center Elgton Jenkins wasn’t on the field Tuesday, and neither of the players who’ve been with the No. 1 offense at right guard finished practice.

Teven Jenkins had pretty much claimed the right guard spot, but he sat out the last two drills of Tuesday’s practice with an undisclosed injury. KT Leveston, who played guard when Teven Jenkins missed a week early in camp with a back injury, left the field late in Tuesday’s practice with a member of the medical staff. Leveston had played right tackle the last two days as the team gave rookie Austin Barber his first snaps at right guard.

Now, Barber might have to play guard with the starters in Thursday’s joint practice with the Buffalo Bills or in Saturday’s preseason game if Teven Jenkins or Leveston has to miss time. Monken told reporters before Tuesday’s practice that Leveston looked better in his tackle reps Monday than he previously had at guard.

Cleveland Browns Camp: QB competition, Boston impressing and more

Robert Mays

Barber had played only tackle before Monday. The Browns waived guard Jack Conley on Tuesday for the second time this month, but he might need to return. Monken has said the team feels none of its current injuries are long term and said Elgton Jenkins just has some “nagging” issues, but the plan was always to play Elgton Jenkins or rookie Parker Brailsford at center. Brailsford hasn’t practiced since the first week of camp due to what’s believed to be a thumb injury on his right (snapping) hand.

Luke Wypler has been at center with the No. 1 offense this week. Dawand Jones was the No. 1 right tackle Tuesday as Tytus Howard wasn’t practicing. It’s believed that Howard was just taking a maintenance day, but the Browns could end up being short at all three line spots for the rest of the week. What Monken basically called an experiment with Barber moving inside could end up becoming a part of a plan that’s obviously fluid right now.

Something to note

Practice was cut short Tuesday. Monken screamed at defensive tackle Adin Huntington after he put a big hit on running back Quinshon Judkins. It appeared Monken was yelling at the defensive coaching staff after he sent Huntington to the sideline.

Shortly after, Monken ended practice and called the team to a group huddle. There were still more than 10 minutes left on the scoreboard clock in the ongoing full-team drill, and a situational period for the No. 1 offense was still scheduled to end practice. But Monken ended things early, and certainly didn’t appear happy about it.

Maybe Monken didn’t want to risk further injury given that defensive end Isaiah McGuire and fullback Carsen Ryan left the field with the medical staff at various points of practice. Maybe Monken was enraged by Huntington’s hit and an accidental collision between defensive end Benton Whitley and quarterback Shedeur Sanders a little earlier. Sanders was not hurt, but defensive players are instructed not to get near the quarterbacks.

Maybe Monken had simply seen enough mediocre play from the quarterbacks and the offense, which was generally dominated by the defense. Monken only addresses the media before practice, so we don’t know for sure.

In the fourth week of full camp, players are tired, the defense seems to know what’s coming from the offense and everybody’s a little restless. So what happened isn’t a big deal as long as the extracurriculars don’t result in injury, but the team’s overall injury situation is a concern. So is the shorthanded defensive line basically camping out in the offensive backfield during competitive drills.

For most of the spring and summer, the prevailing thought was that the upcoming joint practice would be the most important evaluation day of camp for a completely remade offensive line — and perhaps the last major chapter in the ongoing quarterback competition.

But the view from here is that Deshaun Watson has a lead on Sanders, even though neither has been remarkable. The team’s overall lack of depth has made the rest of the week just as much about survival as about really learning where things stand.

Monken has said the plan is for the Browns’ available starters to practice on Thursday against Buffalo’s starters, then for both teams to play mostly backups in Saturday’s game. There could be exceptions, but it looks like Sanders will play the first half Saturday behind a makeshift offensive line. Rookie wide receivers KC Concepcion and Denzel Boston continue to have outstanding camps and have solidified starting jobs, so they likely won’t play much — if at all — on Saturday.

All through camp, Monken has smartly managed and limited reps for Judkins and tight end Harold Fannin Jr.

The Browns have a large group of young players competing for roles, and many of them will have a runway to make a real impression over two days versus the Bills. But it also appears that what might have been the Browns’ best chance to evaluate their top offensive group versus another team’s starters this summer could be limited.

Monken has said Watson and Sanders will split No. 1 reps during that joint practice.

Something else to note

Though Monken has long sort of slated the day (or days) after this preseason game against Buffalo for making his quarterback decision, he’s not fully committing to that. The Browns only practice twice next week before closing the preseason on Aug. 27 versus New England, and Monken hopes to use that game as a dress rehearsal for whoever is named the starter and the first offensive line.

But depending on what happens the rest of this week at quarterback and what personnel changes need to be made along the line, there could be another detour.

Starting defensive end Alex Wright has missed the last two practices, so McGuire’s early departure Tuesday left the group thinner there. Defensive tackle Mike Hall Jr. was back to practice for the first time in two weeks Tuesday. But the Browns remain thin at cornerback, with four undrafted rookies logging heavy practice snaps, and at tight end.

Ryan, who’s played both fullback and tight end, has mostly been playing fullback because veteran Michael Burton has been out for two weeks with an injury. The tight end group took another hit in the preseason opener when blocking tight end Brenden Bates suffered an injury and was waived-injured on Monday.

One of the bright spots amid the shuffle at cornerback has been undrafted rookie Michael Coats Jr., who had an interception in the preseason opener and followed that with a strong practice Monday despite leaving the game Saturday with an ankle injury. In three weeks, Coats has gone from the bottom of the depth chart to being in the mix for a roster spot when Cleveland has to cut to the regular-season size of 53 on Aug. 30.

“Coats, that guy just shows up every day and makes plays,” Monken said. “That’s probably the one that stood out with the other guys beat up at corner.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Sparks vs. Sun: TV channel and streaming options for August 18

Published

on

The Los Angeles Sparks (12-22) hope to end a four-game losing streak when they visit the Connecticut Sun (8-25) at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, August 18, 2026 at TD Garden. The matchup airs on NBCS-BOS and Spectrum SportsNet.

How to watch Los Angeles Sparks vs. Connecticut Sun

Los Angeles vs. Connecticut odds

  • Spread: Los Angeles -1.5 (-115), Connecticut +1.5 (-105)
  • Favorite Moneyline: Los Angeles -128
  • Underdog Moneyline: Connecticut +110
  • Total: 170.5
  • Total Over Odds: -110
  • Total Under Odds: -110

Injury reports

Sparks

Monique Akoa Makani: Questionable (Ankle),

Erica Wheeler: Questionable (Ankle),

Cameron Brink: Questionable (Ribs)

Sun

Brittney Griner: Out (Knee),

Aaliyah Edwards: Out (Ankle)

Stats to know

  • The 88.3 points per game the Sparks record are just 1.1 more points than the Sun allow (87.2).
  • Connecticut scores an average of 79.2 points per game, 13.8 fewer points than the 93.0 Los Angeles gives up to opponents.
  • Nneka Ogwumike posts 16.8 points, 3.1 assists and 8.8 rebounds per game.
  • Leila Lacan puts up 11.8 points, 4.5 assists and 2.0 boards per game.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Julio Aguilar, Ethan Miller, Steph Chambers / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

With Ketel Marte absent, Diamondbacks offer few details: ‘I’m still hoping he’s OK’

Published

on

BOSTON — Star second baseman Ketel Marte’s absence from the Arizona Diamondbacks grew only more mysterious as it dragged into day two.

A day after the Diamondbacks placed Marte on the restricted list for failing to show up to Arizona’s series opener at Fenway Park, manager Torey Lovullo said Tuesday he thinks Marte returned to Phoenix to get imaging on his left knee. Lovullo also said he has not heard from Marte, and he’s unsure whether anyone in the organization is currently in contact with him.

“I’m still hoping he’s OK,” Lovullo said. “Looking forward to having a connection with him at some point as soon as possible. Overall, I feel like if you don’t show up to work, something is on your mind (and) something’s not right, and we’ve got to get it right.”

As of Tuesday afternoon, Marte’s locker in the visiting clubhouse at Fenway Park remained intact. His stuff arrived at the ballpark. He didn’t.

Left to publicly explain Marte’s unexcused absence, Lovullo had few concrete answers. He said he didn’t know whether the knee injury had anything to do with Marte not showing up Monday. He said he didn’t know why Marte hadn’t gotten imaging in Boston instead of Phoenix. He said he didn’t know whether to expect Marte back in the lineup for the stretch run.

“I hope so,” Lovullo said. “We need him. He’s a good player. One of the best players in the National League, as far as I’m concerned.”

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte in action during a baseball game this August.

Ketel Marte did not show up to Fenway Park on Monday. (Rick Scuteri / Associated Press)

Marte, 32, is a three-time All-Star with two top-five finishes in National League MVP voting. He’s not having a typically superb season at bat, yet he still has 21 homers and a 107 OPS+. He is in the second season of a seven-year, $116.5 million contract signed in April 2025. Of that $116.5 million, $41 million is deferred and the payouts do not begin until 10 years after the money is earned.

Marte tweaked his left knee and exited Friday’s game in Atlanta, then sat Saturday before playing Sunday. On Monday, he was supposed to serve as DH. It doesn’t seem the position change rankled Marte; Lovullo said that conversation would have happened after Marte got to the park.

The Diamondbacks entered play Tuesday with a 66-60 record, one game out of a wild-card spot in a tightly packed National League playoff picture. On Monday, without Marte, they fell behind early against the Boston Red Sox and lost, 11-1. “We lost a bit of focus, I’m not going to lie,” Lovullo said. “It was a tough day for everyone.” After the game, Lovullo addressed the players in the clubhouse about the Marte situation, stressing the importance of staying on the same page.

The focus now, right-hander Brandon Pfaadt said, is to “stay connected.”

“We have 26 guys that we feel confident in right now,” he said. “Just staying together, going out there and putting our best product on the field and playing together, that’s all we can do.”

Diamondbacks catcher Gabriel Moreno said he had texted Marte but had yet to hear back. “I want to talk to him and see how he feels,” Moreno said, “and tell him, ‘Hey, we’re with you.’”

Marte has reportedly irritated teammates and coaches with his frequent off-days in the past. The situation first gained attention late in 2024, when the Diamondbacks were contending for a wild-card spot and Marte missed a pivotal game against the San Francisco Giants. The club ultimately missed out on a playoff spot due to a tiebreaker.

“In my opinion, it’s something needed,” Marte said at the time. “I don’t think that it’s too many days off. I’ve had injuries in the past, and this is a plan that has been integrated with the coaching staff and myself, in order to keep me on the field the longest.”

Torey Lovullo looks on during a baseball game in August.

“I’m still hoping he’s OK,” Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said of Ketel Marte. “Looking forward to having a connection with him at some point as soon as possible.” (Erik S. Lesser / Associated Press)

Then came 2025, when Marte again missed time. In this instance, it happened after the All-Star break and after Marte’s Phoenix home was burglarized, leading the second baseman to depart the team and head back to his native Dominican Republic. In total, Marte missed three games.

“I mean, obviously due to the circumstances of my situation, I got frustrated and was in a bad spot,” Marte told reporters in August 2025. “But I truly want to apologize for my teammates and everybody else that is supporting the team.”

With Marte’s 10-and-5 rights — 10 years of service and at least the past five with the same club — set to go into effect at the beginning of the season, the Diamondbacks mulled the possibility over the winter of dealing Marte. Doing so would’ve allowed the club to address its pitching needs. Players with 10-and-5 rights can veto a trade to any team. Marte previously worked under a limited no-trade clause. However, in early January, the club put the trade talk to bed, fully committing to Marte as their franchise second baseman.

Having endured multiple long-term injuries at the beginning of the season, the final stretch of the season was supposed to represent a momentum shift for Arizona. On the same day that the club placed Marte on the restricted list, it welcomed back reliever Justin Martínez and former first-round pick Jordan Lawlar. Elsewhere, 2021 NL Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes continues to throw bullpens in advance of a potential late-season return.

Instead, Arizona will have to weather yet another absence, one that could contribute to them missing the postseason for a third consecutive season.

When asked Tuesday why he had characterized Marte’s situation as a “personal issue” after Monday’s game, Lovullo said he was asked by club personnel to describe it that way. “I would still deem it as such,” Lovullo said. Later, he described his relationship with Marte as close — “maybe like a father-son relationship.”

“That explains how much he’s hurting right now,” Lovullo said. “I just want to be available to him. He knows I’m available. When he’s ready, he’ll reach out.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Fever vs. Tempo: TV channel and streaming options for August 18

Published

on

Marina Mabrey and the Toronto Tempo (10-23) play Kelsey Mitchell and the Indiana Fever (23-12) on Tuesday, August 18, 2026 at Scotiabank Arena. The matchup tips off at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN, WALV, Fever Direct, and TSN.

How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Toronto Tempo

  • Venue: Scotiabank Arena
  • Time: 7 p.m. ET
  • TV: ESPN, WALV, Fever Direct, TSN
  • Watching in person? Get tickets on StubHub.

Indiana vs. Toronto odds

  • Spread: Indiana -10.5 (-110), Toronto +10.5 (-110)
  • Favorite Moneyline: Indiana -500
  • Underdog Moneyline: Toronto +375
  • Total: 190.5
  • Total Over Odds: -110
  • Total Under Odds: -110

Injury reports

Fever

Damiris Dantas: Out For Season (Knee),

Caitlin Clark: Probable (Back),

Aliyah Boston: Probable (Leg)

Tempo

Julie Allemand: Out (Thigh),

Maria Conde: Out (Calf),

Nyara Sabally: Out (Calf)

Stats to know

  • The Fever put up just 2.1 more points per game (96.2) than the Tempo allow (94.1).
  • Toronto scores an average of 87.6 points per game, just 2.7 fewer points than the 90.3 Indiana allows.
  • Aliyah Boston puts up 17.0 points, 8.7 boards and 3.0 assists per game, while shooting 52.6% from the field (seventh in WNBA) and 43.2% from downtown (fourth in WNBA) with 1.2 made 3-pointers per contest.
  • Laura Juskaite puts up 10.1 points, 3.9 boards and 1.6 assists per contest, while shooting 46.6% from the floor and 33.3% from downtown with 1.0 made treys per contest.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Julio Aguilar, Ethan Miller, Steph Chambers / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.