Sports
The Cowboys added Von Miller — will they target a LB or CB next?
OXNARD, Calif. — Adding Von Miller is probably not the final notable move the Dallas Cowboys will make before the start of the regular season.
Miller and the Cowboys agreed on Sunday to a one-year, $5.5 million deal that’s worth up to $7.5 million. The 37-year-old gives Dallas a veteran pass rusher who believes he’s still capable of 8-10 sacks.
“Obviously you get someone that’s been there and done that,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said after Monday’s practice. “He trains with our consulting trainer. And boy, he had been telling us for this past year if we could get him, he knew he could help us. … We feel real good. He’s a veteran that can really bring a great aspect to the team concept. He really wants to be here. We want him here and we believe he can come in here and really give us some additional pressure on the other quarterback.”
While that likely closes the door on any more discussions of trading for Maxx Crosby, it doesn’t mean the Cowboys believe their defense is set. The offense has all the pieces to be one of the league’s best. The defense probably still needs another upgrade.
Why adding Von Miller will give the Cowboys a defensive boost
Jon Machota
Jones said at the start of training camp that the Cowboys were open to making a “substantive” move. He said after Monday’s practice that those thoughts haven’t changed.
“Yes, if we had an opportunity, I would be (interested),” Jones said. “It’s as much about what I think of where we are, which I’m more positive than when we started camp, seriously, about what our chances are. And so I think if we saw an opportunity to take a little of the future and put it on this team, I’d do it if it would help us.”
As there was with Miller, there has been speculation regarding other free agents and the Cowboys. There has been outside chatter about linebackers Bobby Wagner and Bobby Okereke and a recent ESPN report about cornerback Adoree’ Jackson. Those names make sense because those are Dallas’ biggest positions of need at the moment.
But none sound like a “substantive” move.
Outside linebacker seems set now that the group includes Miller, Rashan Gary, Donovan Ezeiruaku, Malachi Lawrence and James Houston. Defensive tackle is probably in a similar spot with Quinnen Williams, Kenny Clark and Otito Ogbonnia. Safety is as secure as it has been in over a decade with Jalen Thompson, Caleb Downs, Malik Hooker and P.J. Locke.
Inside linebacker and cornerback still have questions.
If they were guaranteed full health, DeMarvion Overshown, Dee Winters, Jaishawn Barham, Shemar James and Justin Barron could be a solid group. But Overshown has only played in 19 games over the last three seasons. Barham is currently working his way back from a groin injury.
Cornerback also has its share of injury concerns with DaRon Bland and Shavon Revel coming back from notable injuries in recent years. Bland, Revel and Cobie Durant could be a good starting trio, but can they all stay healthy? Saturday’s preseason opener showed that the depth isn’t great at the position.
“I love our roster,” Cowboys coach Brian Schottenheimer said Monday. “I really do. I think we’re a talented roster. We’re way different on paper this year than we were last year. But we’re not done. We’re not done developing our players. We’re not done getting the young guys ready to go. We’re not done potentially adding pieces.”
Kansas City CB Kristian Fulton has played for three teams the past three seasons. Would Dallas consider making a move for him? (Denny Medley / Imagn Images)
Who could be potential targets?
If a notable move is to be made, it’s likely at inside linebacker or cornerback.
• It’s difficult to project who could become available when teams start trimming their rosters to a final 53. A popular name in Dallas over the last few months has been Miami Dolphins linebacker Jordyn Brooks. Miami isn’t expected to be very good this season. Most sportsbooks have them at the bottom of the NFL 2026 win projections at 3-4 wins. Brooks is fresh off being named first-team All-Pro last season. Miami’s other starting linebacker, Tyrel Dodson, is another possibility if the Dolphins are looking to add draft picks.
• Cornerback could come down to a young player on another team stepping up in the preseason, making a veteran player a little more expendable. Starting corners who have been speculated as potential trade candidates this summer around the NFL include Kansas City’s Kristian Fulton and Denver’s Riley Moss.
The Cowboys might not do anything else, but they have done a good job of expressing how open they are to making a significant move if another team is looking for a partner.
>
Sports
Hockey World Cup: Ireland women’s hopes alive after win over New Zealand
Ireland’s women looked no further than the success of the country’s athletes and swimmers over the past 10 days to inspire them to a first Hockey World Cup pool win in eight years.
Tuesday’s 3-2 victory over New Zealand was the first since a 1-0 win over India in 2018, a tournament in which Ireland progressed to the final and took home a silver medal.
Sarah Hawkshaw, Roisin Upton and Katie Mullan were on target in Wavre, Belgium as they secured a narrow win.
As they prepared for this World Cup, the squad were keeping a keen eye on the likes of Kate O’Connor, Mark English, Mona McSharry and Ellen Walshe who all brought back medals from the European Athletics and Swimming Championships.
“It’s been unbelievable. This squad is sports-mad, so we’ve been cheering on every evening, watching how unbelievable it’s been,” explained Upton.
“Even out here, all the fans must have come from the athletics in Birmingham over here because the place is packed with green again, and the Irish support has been fantastic.
“I think Irish sport is pretty unique. We’re able to compete across so many different sports at such a high level, and you always take a lot from it.”
Mullan echoed those sentiments.
“I think one of the most special things about Irish sport being so small sometimes is that we know those athletes personally,” she said.
“We get to train with them, we get to sit and have coffees with them, we share experiences, and we learn from one another.
“If you looked at us at any point in time, whether we were out having a pre-match meal or we were supposed to be in bed, we’re all huddled around the TV watching those special moments in Irish sport. And they definitely motivate us.”
After losing narrowly to Spain in their opening game on Sunday, this was a must-win for Ireland, as it was for New Zealand who had been beaten by co-hosts Belgium.
The deadlock was broken in the second quarter when Niamh Carey’s cross was deflected in by captain Hawkshaw.
Emelia Surridge equalised for the Black Sticks Women from a penalty corner after half-time to set up a vitally important final 15 minutes.
In the fourth quarter, Upton held her nerve to convert a penalty stroke that gave Ireland a 2-1 lead.
“I think this past weekend, watching Kate [O’Connor] hold her nerve in the 800m gave me all the inspiration I needed,” she added.
It was Upton again, this time with a drag flick from a penalty corner that set up Mullan to add to the Irish lead.
While New Zealand scored a last minute consolation through Katie Doar, it did not detract from an important victory for Ireland in which the outstanding Sarah McAuley was voted player of the match.
>
Sports
Jeff Bezos consortium owns close to 40% of Liverpool
Fenway Sports Group (FSG) sold close to 40 per cent of Liverpool Football Club to the consortium including U.S. billionaire Jeff Bezos.
Early suggestions on both sides of the transaction indicated the purchased stake was in the range of approximately 30 per cent to one-third, but The Athletic can reveal the figure is actually much closer to 40 per cent, according to sources with knowledge of the deal, granted anonymity due to the confidentiality of the process.
1892 Holdings, a consortium headed up and led by Amit Bhatia, the former Queens Park Rangers co-owner who will take up the position of vice-chairman at Liverpool, has purchased around a 38 per cent shareholding in Liverpool.
That is a much more significant share of the club, while there is also an option for the consortium to buy a controlling stake in the Premier League side, as per the terms of their agreement with FSG, in the next 12 months.
The language around the potential for them to buy an even bigger stake, however, does not constitute a formal commitment, so it is only an option that could lead to further investment as opposed to being a requirement.
As well as Bezos, who is one of the wealthiest individuals in the world, Bhatia is also joined in 1892 Holdings by the family office of Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin and his wife Elaine, as well as the Mittal Family Trusts.
Bezos’ involvement comes via K5 Sports and it is his first foray into sports ownership, although he will not have a seat on the board. Bryan Baum from K5 Sports and Elaine Saverin will join Bhatia on the board.
As part of the transaction between FSG and 1892 Holdings, the Boston-based company will continue to be majority shareholders and are retaining operational control of the club.
“The strategic investment supports Liverpool FC’s long-term growth ambitions by bringing together experts from across global business, technology and investment,” FSG’s statement, released on Friday, read.
“The consortium partners will work with FSG and the club’s leadership team to evaluate opportunities that enhance the club’s objectives on and off the pitch. FSG continues to retain majority ownership and operational control of Liverpool FC.”
In the same statement, Bhatia, speaking on behalf of 1892 Holdings, said: “We are incredibly proud to be investing in Liverpool Football Club and to be doing so alongside FSG. We have the utmost respect and admiration for FSG as owners and for everything they have achieved at Anfield.
“To be welcomed as a partner in a club of this stature is a huge privilege. We are making this investment because we believe deeply in Liverpool and its leadership, and we look forward to supporting the club’s continued success for years to come.”
>
Sports
Chelsea to rebrand under-19 and under-21 teams as 'Cobham Next Gen'
The club say the name change will “more accurately reflects the age profile of our leading academy side.”
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
