Sports
Manchester City charges: Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says verdict ‘has taken longer than expected’ | Football News

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says a verdict on the alleged charges against Manchester City “has taken longer than expected”.
Three years ago, City were charged with breaking financial fair play rules over a nine-year period, from 2009 to 2018, but the case has yet to reach a conclusion.
City, who won three Premier League titles in that period, have denied all the charges and any wrongdoing.
According to the Premier League, Man City broke the rules over nine seasons by allegedly failing to provide accurate financial information. They were also charged with failing to cooperate with Premier League investigations into their finances.
The 12-week hearing was held in front of a three-person independent commission between September and December of 2024, but almost two years on, a verdict is yet to be delivered.
Asked for an update at a Premier League launch event for the new 2026/27 season, Masters told Sky News: “There’s nothing further I can add.
“Our rules are very clear about that – I have to keep everything confidential until we’re ready to hand down a decision and be clear about it.
“I can’t give any update on timing or what’s happening.
“There’s only one available route through this, which is to allow the process to take its course.
“It has taken longer than expected, and I do understand the frustrations.”
Questioned on whether he was angry with the commission, he replied: “No, I’ve already said the commission need the time and the space to do their job.
“In the end, the Premier League’s role is to put allegations, if the evidence is strong enough, in front of an independent commission and allow that commission to establish the truth, and that shouldn’t be qualified by the amount of time it takes to get there.”
>
Sports
Los Angeles Lakers: Jeanie Buss contests siblings’ plans to sell ownership stake to Josh Kushner and Bob Iger | NBA News
Los Angeles Lakers governor Jeanie Buss is contesting her siblings’ plans to sell the family’s remaining 17.8 per cent ownership stake in the team.
Josh Kushner, the brother of US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared, and former Disney chief executive Bob Iger agreed a deal earlier this month to buy the controlling interest in the Lakers at a valuation of $12.5bn (£9.3bn) – a record for a professional sports team.
Kushner and Iger are reportedly buying about 65 per cent of the team from Mark Walter, who also owns a stake in baseball’s Los Angeles Dodgers along with Chelsea chairman Todd Boehly. They would own about 83 per cent if they also reach a deal with the Buss family.
Jeanie Buss has been the Lakers’ governor since 2013 and the death of her father Jerry Buss, who had purchased the team in 1979.
She led the family’s move to sell a controlling stake of the team to Walter last year at a valuation of $10bn, in a deal that ensured she remained in position until 2030.
The decision to sell would end Jeanie’s tenure, because the job requires at least 15 per cent ownership of the team.
The Buss family released a statement on Monday, saying: “We have decided as a family to sell the remaining Buss Family Trust shares to the Bob Iger group as part of the ongoing transaction.
“We love the Lakers, Lakers fans and will continue to support Los Angeles; but it is time to use this opportunity to move on and exit gracefully while we still can.”
But Jeannie Buss’ attorney, Adam Streisand, wrote to representatives for her five siblings to state that any decision to sell the family trust’s ownership stake “would be and is void”, according to ESPN.
“Co-trustees are bound to vote to ensure that the minimum 15 per cent ownership requirement is maintained in order to ensure that Jeanie Buss may remain controlling owner,” the letter is reported to have said.
“Any attempt by the co-trustees to do otherwise, and any attempt to aid or abet the co-trustees as such, would constitute a breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and be in contempt of court.”
The Lakers have 17 NBA titles, 11 of which have come under the Buss family’s ownership, but the six siblings have been in frequent conflict since their father Jerry’s death, with Jeanie firing Jim from his job as the Lakers’ head of basketball operations in 2017, followed a week later by a lawsuit against her brothers amid an attempt by Jim and Johnny to oust her as the Lakers’ controlling owner.
Joey and Jesse were fired from their front-office jobs with the team last November.
The sale agreement with Kushner and Iger also still has to be approved by the NBA’s board of governors, which could take months, and comes after Kushner’s name was attached to a controversial plan proposed by FIFA president Gianni Infantino to sell off stakes in the governing body’s competitions to private investors.
Thrive Eternal, an American venture capital firm founded by Kushner, was due to lead the proposed investor group for the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal until plans were scrapped in the face of fierce criticism and threats of boycott from some of its continental confederations, including UEFA.
>
Sports
Cincinnati Open: Coco Gauff impresses in win over Ann Li to make last 16 as Elina Svitolina pulls out injured | Tennis News

No 4 seed and 2023 Cincinnati Open champion Coco Gauff secured her spot in the fourth round courtesy of a 6-1 7-6 (7-3) win over fellow American Ann Li.
Gauff now improves to 4-0 in terms of her all-time against Li, though Tuesday was the first WTA Tour hard-court meeting as preparations ramp up for the US Open from August 30, live on Sky Sports.
The 22-year-old now awaits the winner of Iva Jovic and Marie Bouzkova for a place in the quarter-finals.
The 29-minute first set was flawless for Gauff, who held her serve during all her service games, including withstanding two break point chances for Li in a game that saw four deuces midway through the first set. Gauff won 68 per cent of her first service points in the match.
The second set would be a different story, and though Li dropped her serve the opening game, she bounced back with a break of her own.
Eventually, Li seemed on her way to forcing a decider by going up a break at 5-3, but the service woes reappeared as Gauff got the break back.
In the tiebreak, it was smooth sailing for Gauff who moves to her sixth WTA 1000 fourth round of the season.
Svitolina withdraws from Cincinnati Open with ankle injury
Elsewhere, world No 9 Elina Svitolina withdrew from the Cincinnati Open on Tuesday ahead of her third-round match against Wang Xiyu due to a right ankle injury.
China’s Wang will advance to the final 16 via a walkover and face Madison Keys.
“Unfortunately I tried my best to recover, but the injury I sustained in Toronto and also pushed by the second round match, I didn’t recover as I wish I could to get ready for my next round,” Svitolina said in a statement.
“Have of course great memories of playing here and going deep in the tournament. Had a great match here two nights ago. Very sad to pull out this round.”
The Ukrainian took a medical timeout to address her right foot during the second set of her second-round match against Tereza Valentova on Sunday but continued to win 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-0.
Svitolina is next scheduled to play at the US Open, which begins later this month.
Watch the ATP and WTA Tours live on Sky Sports. The US Open is also live on Sky Sports from August 30. Stream tennis with NOW.
>
Sports
Hollie Doyle: Constitution River can come of age in Juddmonte showdown | Racing News
Sky Sports Racing ambassador Hollie Doyle runs the rule on day one of York’s Ebor Festival on Wednesday, featuring the eagerly awaited clash between Ombudsman and Constitution River.
Aidan set for 8th success in mouthwatering Juddmonte
The remarkably versatile Ombudsman will be tough to deny in the £1.5m Juddmonte International Stakes (3.35), a stunning highlight on day one of the Ebor Festival at York on Wednesday.
John and Thady Gosden’s five-year-old has added the Group 1 Dubai Turf in Meydan and the Prince of Wales’ Stakes at Royal Ascot to his illustrious CV since taking this race in such spectacular style 12 months ago.
However, Aidan O’Brien’s CONSTITUTION RIVER is something very special as he proved in the French Derby and the Coral-Eclipse and can come of age against his older rival in what promises to be an epic duel.
Two years younger and benefiting from that 7lb allowance, the son of Wootton Bassett hasn’t yet reached his peak and is adaptable enough to lower the colours of Godolphin’s superstar in what looks certain to be another tactical renewal.
Juddmonte’s representative Item has proven his liking for this track with wins at Group 2 level in the Dante and the York Stakes but despite being only 2lb behind Constitution River on official ratings, needs to dig much deeper to usurp the main two.
Cross ready to stake Classic claim
MALTESE CROSS can stake his claim for the 250th running of the St Leger with a big performance in the Sky Bet Great Voltigeur Stakes (3.00) at York – a traditional trial for next month’s final Classic.
My husband Tom (Marquand) is rightfully hopeful he can avenge his Derby defeat by Christmas Day in this 1m4f Group 2 after a hard-fought success in the Group 1 Grand Prix de Paris last month.
He’d have been an unlucky loser that day after overcoming all sorts of problems in running and should enjoy this galloping test on a sound surface on The Knavesmire before stepping up in trip at Doncaster.
Christmas Day couldn’t repeat his Epsom heroics in the Irish Derby when his stablemate Pierre Bonnard finished only a neck behind him. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see that lovely colt emerge as the main Ballydoyle threat to Maltese Cross.
Haffner to frank strong Goodwood form
HAFFNER is the one they all have to beat in the Group 3 Tattersalls Acomb Stakes (2.25) at York despite finding one too good in the Vintage Stakes at Goodwood.
Aidan O’Brien’s colt, who had previously won a Newmarket maiden, emerged with plenty of credit behind the unbeaten Dr Rascal on the Downs and has much less to prove than his rivals over this 7f.
If he under-performs, Ed Walker’s talented colt Alfred Wallace could be the one to take advantage. The son of top-class race mare Snow Lantern gained a deserved success in a Listed contest at Ascot last time and can find the necessary improvement to go well in this better grade.
Madera can avenge unlucky run in Stewards’ Cup
The big sprint handicaps at York are notoriously difficult to solve but I can make a strong case for TOCA MADERA in the opening Hong Kong Jockey Club World Pool Handicap (1.50).
David O’Meara’s gelding would have gone much closer in the Stewards’ Cup at Goodwood with a clear run and has been given the chance to gain compensation off an unchanged mark with stable jockey Danny Tudhope back on board.
I’m pleased to see him drawn low in stall four as I think that’s the best place to be on the straight track, which we know plays to the strengths of the well supported The Man. Richard Spencer’s runner was second in this last year but was well behind Toca Madera at Goodwood last month.
A better alternative at a bigger price may be Lemos de Souza’s gelding Naana’s Sparkle who finished in front of them both in that Goodwood sprint and will hopefully get a good tow into the race from his middle draw at rewarding odds.
Big chance for unlucky Small Fry
I nominated SMALL FRY as my ‘Hot Shot’ in this blog after his luckless run at the Goodwood Festival so won’t be forsaking him in the Sky Bet Stayers Handicap (4.10) at York.
Joseph O’Brien’s gelding got shuffled back at an important stage of the valuable Summer Handicap but still powered home to be a close second over 1m6f and can gain compensation despite a 4lb rise.
The step up to 2m can only be a positive for Joseph’s son of Harzand who stays well and for the first time has the assistance of Ireland’s champion jockey Dylan Browne McMonagle.
Andrew Balding’s Shrimp Shady is becoming quite a force in top staying handicaps so don’t rule him out either. He was second at the Shergar Cup after landing a big pot at Newbury at the expense of the likeable Team Player and will enjoy the test ahead of him on The Knavesmire.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza

