Connect with us

Sports

Blue Jackets’ Elvis Merzlikins sidelined indefinitely following shoulder surgery

Published

on

Elvis Merzlikins stands in front of the net during a game against the Carolina Hurricanes in April.

Elvis Merzlikins first mentioned feeling pain in his shoulder last month. Jared C. Tilton / Getty Images

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Columbus Blue Jackets may be without goaltender Elvis Merzlikins when the 2026-27 season starts.

Merzlikins, who complained to the club last month about discomfort in one of his shoulders, had surgery to fix the problem Monday, according to a team news release. The Blue Jackets said there is no established timetable for Merzlikins’ return.

“Elvis informed us a few weeks ago that he was experiencing some discomfort in his shoulder during his offseason workouts,” Blue Jackets GM Don Waddell said in the statement. “Following an MRI, it was determined that surgery was the best course of action.

“He’ll be evaluated again in a few weeks, at which time we’ll have a clearer idea on when he will be back on the ice.”

The Blue Jackets did not specify which procedure was done on the shoulder. The recovery time can vary dramatically depending on the procedure.

Columbus opens training camp Sept. 16, with the regular-season opener set for Oct. 1 against Buffalo.

Merzlikins lost the starter’s job to Jet Greaves last season, and is entering the 2026-27 season in the final year of a contract that pays him $5.4 million per season. If he’s sidelined, look for Pheonix Copley, who was signed as a free agent in early July, to play in support of Greaves.

Last season, Merzlikins went 14-11-3 with a 3.40 goals-against average and an .883 save percentage.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

USMNT midfielder Brenden Aaronson signs new three-year deal with Leeds United

Published

on

Leeds United have announced that midfielder Brenden Aaronson has signed a new three-year deal with the club.

The 25-year-old has signed new terms until 2029, which underline his rising status at Elland Road under Daniel Farke.

Aaronson signed a five-year contract when he first arrived from Red Bull Salzburg in 2022. However, when he struggled in a Leeds team which was relegated in 2023 and then jumped ship to Union Berlin on loan, few supporters would have expected to see him sign another deal in West Yorkshire.

As it is, the USMNT player has continued to surpass expectations since returning from that loan. He was booed by sections of the Leeds fanbase in the summer of 2024, but proved to be one of Farke’s most-used players en route to a 100-point title in the Championship.

Then again, after promotion, he continued to be a key player for Farke at a higher level, featuring in 37 (starting 30) of their 38 Premier League matches. After a summer of reinforcement, including the arrival of Harry Wilson, Aaronson has been given another vote of confidence with this contract.

Aaronson’s new deal follows similar announcements for team-mates Ethan Ampadu, Joe Rodon and Jayden Bogle this summer.


Analysis

Aaronson’s new contract is a lesson in persistence and hard work. When he left the club in 2023 after relegation, escaping for Berlin and the Bundesliga while everyone in Leeds faced the Championship, you would have been forgiven for writing the American off.

He had been poor in that first year in England, and it added insult to injury when he ran away from the outcome. However, unlike many of those who left on loan, he did come back, and he did face the music.

Aaronson did not cower from interviews, answering tough questions about his mentality and loyalty to Leeds. He also took his medicine when, in the opening weeks of his 2024 return, he was booed by sections of his own fanbase.

Brenden Aaronson celebrates a goal for Leeds

Aaronson has successfully worked his way back into Leeds’ fans good books. (Shaun Brooks – CameraSport via Getty Images)

Slowly, but surely, he did turn the tide, however. At an admittedly lower level, he did prove effective for Leeds in the second tier. Farke waxed lyrical about his work rate and keenness to learn and improve.

Even in the Premier League, after promotion, Farke’s consistent selection of Aaronson through October and November defined the acrimony which began to grow on the terraces as results nosedived. The attacker was eventually taken out of the firing line, but returned to the team and memorably scored an exceptional brace at Newcastle United in January.

His form did ultimately tail off again and left Leeds with a decision to make this summer. With his prior deal expiring in June 2027, they had to sell or renew this summer. They have chosen the latter, and they clearly see further potential in the 25-year-old.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Watch: Late Larne double seals first-leg win over 10-man Red Imps

Published

on

Watch highlights as Irish Premiership champions Larne defeat 10-man Lincoln Red Imps 2-0 in the first leg of their Uefa Conference League play-off.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

England vs Pakistan first Test highlights: Harry Brook helps hosts build lead on day two at Headingley

Published

on

Watch highlights as Harry Brook shines in the Headingley gloom as England build a commanding 195-run lead over Pakistan on a shortened second day of the first Test.

READ MORE: Sparkling Brook builds England lead over Pakistan

Available to UK users only.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.