Connect with us

Sports

Suspended Commanders defender kicked officer during arrest, according to police

Published

on

Washington Commanders outside linebacker Dorance Armstrong kicked a police officer while being arrested during an incident in May 2025 in Frisco, Texas, according to police and court records. The NFL on Friday announced that Armstrong was suspended for the first game of the upcoming regular season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy, without providing any details. 

Armstrong, now 29, was initially charged with assaulting a peace officer with bodily injury, resisting arrest and public intoxication, the first of which is a second-degree felony and punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000.

Armstrong accepted a plea deal with “deferred adjudication community supervision,” meaning he pleaded guilty but the court held off on entering his conviction. He was placed on nine months of conditional probation in January and was ordered to pay a $100 fine and perform community service.

Neither Armstrong’s agent nor his attorney responded to requests for comment.

The incident took place around 7:45 p.m. on May 10, 2025, in Frisco, according to the redacted arrest report. Two officers from the Frisco Police Department were dispatched to a call for service from a woman — later described as Armstrong’s girlfriend — who claimed Armstrong was intoxicated and trying to remove her and her two young children from their home.

Officers arrived to find Armstrong standing outside with another man, Charles Gaston, who later told the officers that he helped manage Armstrong and his finances, according to the report.

The reporting officer noted that Armstrong smelled of alcohol and was “clearly upset” to see law enforcement arrive. He began to shout profanities at the officers, calling one of them “a b—-” and telling them to leave, the report says. The officers noticed that Armstrong’s right hand was bleeding and he had blood on his shirt.

Gaston told one of the officers that he and Armstrong had been at a “business meeting” since about 1 p.m. that day and that Armstrong “drank too many alcoholic beverages” and had been arguing with his girlfriend, according to the report. Armstrong and Gaston had not yet gone inside the home when officers arrived, the report says, and Armstrong had punched the brick exterior out of anger, injuring his right hand. 

While the reporting officer spoke with Gaston, another man, Michael Ledo, arrived and said he was Armstrong’s manager. Gaston and Ledo both attempted to calm Armstrong, according to the report. The second officer then went inside to speak to Armstrong’s girlfriend.

Armstrong’s girlfriend informed the officer that they had been arguing for most of the day but that there had been no physical altercation between them. She told the officer she knew Armstrong was intoxicated and was scared to have him come inside the home, according to the arrest report.

With the officers still there, Armstrong entered the backyard of the home through a side gate and pounded on the windows and doors and kicked the back door to try to get inside. The officers convinced his girlfriend to leave the home for the night, the report says. 

But Armstrong was able to see through the home and “started to ramp up” upon seeing his girlfriend pack her suitcase, according to the officers’ report.

As Armstrong’s girlfriend began to load her suitcase and children in the car, officers reported hearing glass break at the rear of the home. As they helped Armstrong’s girlfriend get into the vehicle, Armstrong emerged from the backyard. He yelled to the officer to “get away from my baby” and to “give me my baby,” but the other officer intervened, allowing the child to be loaded into the vehicle so Ledo could drive off.

Armstrong then allegedly turned his anger on Gaston and repeatedly tried to instigate a fight with him.

The officers reported that Armstrong’s “anger and unpredictability,” combined with the information that he punched a wall, made him “a threat to himself and others.” He was arrested for public intoxication and placed in handcuffs, but as officers began to walk him to the patrol car, he began to resist and started to walk in the opposite direction, they reported.

A third officer then arrived. Armstrong “actively resisted” being put in the patrol car, according to the report.

When the third officer tried to reach over Armstrong to connect his seat belt, Armstrong turned and kicked the officer in his chest, according to the arrest report.

Armstrong was transported to Frisco County Jail and, according to the police report, declined multiple offers for medical assistance.

As part of his plea bargain, Armstrong’s charges were reduced to a Class A misdemeanor punishable with up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. Armstrong entered a guilty plea and was placed on probation that requires him to submit to random urinalysis as well as a substance abuse screening, and to avoid alcohol, drugs, firearms and any contact with the officer he kicked. He was also required to do 30 hours of community service, agree to anger management and pay the $100 fine and court costs.

The Commanders, who declined to comment on Armstrong’s arrest or one-game ban, adhered to the NFL protocols for reporting the arrest and supported the league’s investigation, according to a source briefed on the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about it publicly.

The NFL waited until the legal process played out before determining Armstrong’s punishment. He did not appeal his ban, according to a league source.

A 2018 fourth-round pick by the Dallas Cowboys, Armstrong has been a starter on Washington’s defensive line since signing with the team in 2024. Last season, he led the team with 5.5 sacks through the first seven games, but he suffered an ACL injury that cost him the remainder of the season.

Armstrong opened training camp on the physically unable to perform list but returned to the field a week later.

His one-game suspension begins Aug. 30, the day NFL teams must pare their rosters to their initial 53-man list. Armstrong will be placed on the Commanders’ reserve/suspended list and will be eligible for reinstatement Sept. 14, the day after the team’s season opener against the Eagles in Philadelphia.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Carlos Sainz signs new multi-year Williams F1 contract: ‘I’m thrilled’

Published

on

Carlos Sainz will remain with Williams in Formula 1 after signing a new multi-year contract with the team.

The 31-year-old joined Williams in 2025 after a stint at Ferrari, and scored two podium finishes last year. A dip in the team’s on-track performance this season led to some question marks over Sainz’s future with the team — he has scored just six points so far with a best finish of ninth place.

Any doubts about Sainz’ future have now been removed with the announcement of this new deal on Wednesday.

The team said in a statement that Sainz had agreed a new multi-year contract which it called a “a show of faith in Williams’ long-term project to compete at the front
contract of the F1 grid”. It did not disclose how long the deal will run for.

The news follows Tuesday’s announcement that Sainz’ teammate, Alex Albon, had extended his contract into 2027, ensuring Williams will run an unchanged line-up in F1 next year.

“I’m thrilled to announce my continued journey with the Williams F1 Team family,” Sainz said in a statement. “I truly believe in the people that form this team, both at the factory and at the racetracks, and the investments and hard work that are happening in the background.

“We have what it takes to turn this around together. I’m as committed as I was on day one to helping get Williams back to where it belongs, and I look forward to creating more memories with the team.”


Analysis

Analysis by Madeline Coleman

Getting Sainz and Albon to sign contract extensions, at the very least for next season, is the best-case scenario for Williams.

The 2026 campaign has been a difficult year for the team, ranging from production delays and a missed first test to an overweight car and quite a dip in on-track performance. And with trying times, after so much effort and time were dedicated toward the 2026 car, questions arise.

It didn’t come as a total surprise that Albon is remaining with Williams. He’s been a constant for the team since it gave him a second chance in F1 back in 2022. He previously told The Athletic, “I live and breathe the team. I want this to go well. I poured a lot of my time and energy into this team, and I hope it’s for something.” But that doesn’t mean it’s a guarantee he’ll stay forever.

With Sainz, it seemed that there were more question marks as Williams has failed to even come close to its 2025 performance. The Spaniard went as far as to say Hungary, the last race before the summer break, was “a bit of an eye-opener” with seeing the gap between them and the top teams. He went from winning races with Ferrari two seasons ago to now entering the second half of the 2026 season with six points to his name.

Albon and Saiz before the F1 Grand Prix of Hungary at Hungaroring in July 2026

Albon and Sainz have both signed extensions (Peter Fox via Getty Images)

Matters may not be perfect right now, but Sainz does appear to see something worth continuing to invest in. When he found his groove at Williams, he thrived last season. You can’t forget the two podium finishes near the end of the campaign.

As Albon said in the news release about his extension on Tuesday, “One tough year doesn’t tell the full picture.” Securing Albon and Sainz means Williams has two race winners with immense F1 experience helping guide its development journey into the second year of this regulation set. They have a combined 370-plus race starts, over 1,600 points and 31 podiums.

It’ll take a while for Williams to overcome years of underinvestment and grow from both a car development and infrastructure standpoint. But having one of the more experienced driver line-ups on the grid for another season (at least) gives Williams a fighting chance at righting the wrongs of this season.

And it comes at a critical time — Williams will celebrate 50 years of competing in F1 next year.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Newcastle announce Kevin Keegan tribute plans for Liverpool game

Published

on

Newcastle United have announced extensive plans to pay tribute to Kevin Keegan ahead of their Premier League opener against Liverpool on Sunday.

Keegan, the former Newcastle and Liverpool great, died aged 75 on July 20, after disclosing earlier in the year that he had stage-four cancer.

Newcastle initially set up a memorial outside St James’ Park, which led to thousands of tributes being laid in memory of the two-time Ballon d’Or winner, who managed the club twice and also played for them.

Keegan spent six years at Anfield during the 1970s, helping the club win three First Division titles, before joining Hamburg in Germany.

On Sunday, both Newcastle and Liverpool’s players will wear their usual training shirts for the warm up, but they will have ‘Keegan 7’ printed on the back as a mark of respect.

Many of the shirts that were laid outside of St James’ Park have been made into a mosaic that will be laid in the centre-circle before the match gets underway to honour the former England manager.

The club has also invited Jean Keegan, Kevin’s wife, and his family to the match — along with a number of his former players including Alan Shearer, Faustino Asprilla, David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, and other squad members from his spells in charge.

There will be a minute’s applause from both sets of players before kick-off on Sunday, while Keegan is going to be on the front cover of the matchday programme.

In a private ceremony, delegates from Newcastle United and Liverpool are expected to lay wreaths in a memorial garden. This would include Shola Ameobi and Bob Moncur on behalf of the Tyneside club.

Wor Flags — a supporter-led group that creates memorable visual displays through the use of flags, banners and tiffs — will also be paying tribute to Keegan with a takeover on Sunday.

Tributes have been paid outside St James’ Park to Keegan. (Newcastle United FC)

For the memorial outside the stadium, which was visited by thousands of supporters wishing to pay tribute to Keegan, the club worked closely with its Fan Advisory Board and the Newcastle United Supporters’ Trust.

As well as being visited by fans, many former players also made the trip to the memorial, including Shearer, Peter Beardsley and Lee Clark.

Alongside the memorial, the club had books of condolences outside for fans to sign, as well as a digital version for the supporters unable to make it to St James’ Park.

Some of the memorabilia laid at the memorial will now be given to Keegan’s family, while the club will keep some back for future tributes.

The flowers that were laid outside the stadium were turned into compost and spread across the club’s pitches.

Newcastle have asked supporters attending Sunday’s match, which kicks off at 4.30pm BST (11.30am ET), to arrive earlier than usual to ensure they can see the many planned tributes.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How to watch Giants vs. Guardians: TV channel and streaming options for August 19

Published

on

The Cleveland Guardians and San Francisco Giants clash on Wednesday at 6:40 p.m. ET, at Progressive Field. Parker Messick (9-7, 2.59 ERA) gets the start for the Guardians, who are 61-65 this season and third in the AL Central. Matt Wilkinson (0-0, 0.00 ERA) is expected to start for the Giants, who are 51-74 and fourth in the NL West.

How to watch San Francisco Giants vs. Cleveland Guardians

Giants vs. Guardians odds

  • Favorite Moneyline: Guardians -222
  • Underdog Moneyline: Giants +180
  • Total: 7.5
  • Total Over Odds: +100
  • Total Under Odds: -120

Injury reports

Guardians

Rhys Hoskins: 10 Day IL (Undisclosed), Slade Cecconi: 15 Day IL (Arm), Shawn Armstrong: 60 Day IL (Leg), Chase DeLauter: day-to-day (Hamstring)

Giants

Casey Schmitt: 10 Day IL (Leg), Jesus Rodriguez: 10 Day IL (Elbow), Marcelo Mayer: 10 Day IL (Forearm), Harrison Bader: 60 Day IL (Plantar fasciitis), Matt Chapman: 60 Day IL (Leg), Rowan Wick: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Jose Butto: 60 Day IL (Arm), Trevor McDonald: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Daniel Susac: 60 Day IL (Knee), Matt Gage: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Joel Peguero: 60 Day IL (Hamstring), Randy Rodriguez: 60 Day IL (Elbow), Hayden Birdsong: 60 Day IL (Forearm)

Stats to know

  • Cleveland’s Chase DeLauter has hit 13 home runs this season. He has also tallied 57 RBIs and has scored 49 runs. In 453 plate appearances, he has recorded a .285 BA, .358 OBP and .442 SLG with a 10.4% walk rate and a 14.1% strikeout rate. He has been effective on the base paths, recording nine steals on 11 attempts.
  • In 402 plate appearances, Jose Ramirez is hitting .241/.344/.388 with a .732 OPS and 29 steals on 32 attempts. He has hit 10 long balls, driven in 38 runs and scored 56 times.
  • Jung Hoo Lee is hitting for a .292 BA, .328 OBP and .432 SLG with a 9.9% strikeout rate and a 4.1% walk rate. His OPS is .760 and he has scored 58 runs. In 464 plate appearances, he has hit nine home runs and driven in 46 runs. Lee has recorded eight steals on nine attempts.
  • In 529 plate appearances, Rafael Devers has slashed .244/.318/.470 this season. He has hit 25 long balls (18th in MLB) and driven in 69 runs with a strikeout rate of 26.5% and a walk rate of 9.8%. and has scored 65 runs.

This watch guide was created using technology provided by Data Skrive.

Betting/odds, ticketing and streaming links in this article are provided by partners of The Athletic. Restrictions may apply. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

Photo: Jamie Squire, Ishika Samant, Scott Taetsch, Alika Jenner / Getty Images

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.