Connect with us

Sports

Jonas Vingegaard ends 2026 season after broken collarbone, will miss World Championships

Published

on

Vingegaard looks on while finishing stage 14 of the Tour de France, wearing the dotted "King of the Mountains" jersey

The 29-year-old abandoned the Tour de France last month after suffering the injury on stage 15. Anne-Christine Poujoulat/AFP via Getty Images

Jonas Vingegaard will not race again this season as he continues his recovery from a broken collarbone sustained in July’s Tour de France.

The decision means the Dane will miss next month’s World Championships in Montreal, as well as October’s European Championships in Slovenia. He won both this season’s Giro d’Italia and last year’s Vuelta a Espana.

The 29-year-old suffered the injury on stage 15, when sitting second on general classification, landing heavily on his right-side when falling on a high-speed descent towards the final climb of the day at Plateau de Solaison.

“(Vingegaard) is still experiencing the effects of the collarbone fracture he sustained in his crash in the Tour de France,” his Visma-Lease a Bike team said in a statement released on Monday morning.

“As a result, it is not possible for him to work towards new racing goals for 2026 in the short term. (He) will focus on his recovery and training in the coming period. With this, he hopes to lay the foundations for another successful season.”

Vingegaard added: “After a long and intense racing period, a recovery period was planned after the Tour de France anyway. Due to the collarbone injury, the start of my training has been delayed and it is not possible for me to get back to top level in the coming period.

“The focus is on preparing optimally for the goals of the 2027 season. I will discuss these specific goals with the team in the coming period.”

Marc Reef, the team’s head of racing, indicated that the number of race days that Vingegaard had already completed in 2026 — winning the Giro d’Italia, Paris-Nice, and the Volta a Catalunya — had played a factor in the decision.

The Vuelta a Espana, the year’s final Grand Tour, begins in Monaco on Saturday, with five-time Tour champion Tadej Pogacar the overwhelming favourite the win the race for the first time.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Women’s Super League: Leicester’s Sam Tierney on not jumping ship

Published

on

Last season was one to forget for Leicester as their five-year stay in the WSL ended the same way as their men’s team, who were relegated to League One.

The women’s side picked up just two wins from their 22 matches and ended with a -41 goal difference having struggled to score.

It sparked concerns about the women’s team’s future with questions being asked as to whether they would continue playing at King Power Stadium and if their budget would be slashed.

But the club have acted swiftly, allowing players who wanted to leave to go for valuable fees which have been used to reinvest in the squad.

Only time will tell if it will be enough but Tierney hopes this is an opportunity to grow a new Leicester that will “make people jealous” in the future.

“When I first joined Leicester, we were training on one of the local parks. We weren’t at Belvoir Drive where the men were. The progression is incredible,” she said.

“I want to make sure people want to play for Leicester. I want people to stay at Leicester. I want people to be jealous of Leicester.

“I know that’s the potential of this club and hopefully we’ll get that.”

Tierney joined Leicester from Sheffield United in 2020 and has played under seven managers during her time at the club.

She was part of the team who earned promotion to the WSL in 2021 and reached the Women’s FA Cup semi-finals in 2024.

The midfielder knows changes “won’t happen overnight” but she hopes Leicester can become “sustainable” in the WSL and not a yo-yo club as they have been recently.

“The type of person I am means I’m not happy if I don’t feel like I’m finished somewhere,” added Tierney.

“The direction the club want to go in and the change that needs to be made to do that, I’m on board with.

“Ultimately, my biggest thing is to make sure people feel the same connection that I have to the club and they want the club to progress.

“The moment that I leave, I want Leicester to be in a better position than when I started here.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Great Britain’s eventing team claim record-breaking world title

Published

on

Watch Olympic eventing champions Laura Collett and Ros Canter final phase to secure record-breaking team gold and individual bronze and silver medals at the FEI World Championships, Aachen, Germany.

GB’s Fry claims historic double-double at Worlds

Available to UK users only.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Football: Serie A footballer Yael Trepy in intensive care after reported swimming pool incident

Published

on

Cagliari striker Yael Trepy is in intensive care in hospital after he reportedly lost consciousness in a swimming pool in Sardinia.

On Monday, Cagliari released a statement, external to say the 20-year-old is being treated at Santissima Annunziata Civil Hospital in Sassari.

Sardinian newspaper Unione Sarda, external reported that Trepy was airlifted to hospital after the incident at a villa on Sunday afternoon.

“The club is in constant contact with the healthcare facility and the player’s family and is closely monitoring the progress of his condition,” said Cagliari.

“At this time, Cagliari Calcio’s thoughts are with Yael and his family. The club also requests the utmost respect for their privacy and will provide any updates when available.”

Cagliari players had the weekend off after they beat Arezzo 1-0 in the Coppa Italia on Friday, in which Trepy played 54 minutes.

Trepy scored once in eight Serie A appearances last season after being a Cagliari youth player.

He joined the club’s academy in 2022, having started his youth career with Parisian side US Creteil-Lusitanos.

BBC Sport has contacted Cagliari for comment.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.