Connect with us

Sports

Joel Piroe set for West Ham medical ahead of proposed move from Leeds

Published

on

Joel Piroe of Leeds United looks on

Piroe’s Leeds contract runs until 2027 Leonardo Fernandez/Getty Images

Leeds United have granted striker Joel Piroe permission to undergo a medical at West Ham United.

The Championship side are closing in on signing the 27-year-old on loan with an obligation to buy. Piroe was viewed as a top transfer target by head coach Nuno Espirito Santo and the recruitment team. His track record in the second tier was also a key factor.

In the 2023-24 and 2024-25 Championship seasons, the forward scored 41 goals in 88 league appearances. Last campaign, however, he had a return of one just goal across 21 appearances following Leeds’ return to the top-flight.

The Athletic reported on Saturday of Piroe’s intention to leave Elland Road before the closure of the window on September 1. Leeds had initially set an asking price of £16million to suitors but no club met their valuation.

The striker’s contract at Elland Road ends in June 2027, though Leeds have the option to extend it by an extra 12 months

Piroe’s impending arrival at the London Stadium is a welcome boost for Nuno following West Ham’s disappointing 2-2 draw against Burnley in their season opener. Their forward options are threadbare and striker Pablo was substituted at half-time due to sustaining a calf injury. He is a doubt for this weekend’s home game against London rivals Charlton Athletic.

Piroe would become West Ham’s fourth summer signing after the additions of Joel Veltman, Manor Solomon and Arne Engels.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Buss family intends to sell remaining shares in Lakers: Sources

Published

on

Jeanie Buss looks on during the unveiling of Pat Riley's statue.

If the sale goes through, Jeanie Buss will no longer be the team’s governor. Luiza Moraes / Getty Images

The Buss family, which has owned and operated the Los Angeles Lakers since March 29, 1979, intends to sell its remaining shares in the team, tagging into the $12.5 billion valuation Mark Walter received last week in a deal with Bob Iger and Josh Kushner, according to multiple sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe ongoing deliberations.

If the Buss Family Trust successfully executes the sale, Jeanie Buss will be unable to remain as the team’s governor, as league rules require at least 15 percent ownership to serve in the role. Buss retained her governorship for a period of at least five years as part of the deal to sell controlling ownership of the Lakers to Walter last summer.

According to a source with knowledge of the talks, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the deal, the trust’s beneficiaries needed at least four of six votes to approve the intent to sell. The trust, which is made up of six of Dr. Jerry Buss’ children, conducted a vote last week regarding selling. The trust’s three trustees now must enact the actual sale.

The trust voted last June to sell its controlling interest in the team to Walter at a $10 billion valuation while retaining a minority stake in the Lakers of approximately 18 percent.

In an interview with the California Post’s Khobi Price last week, Iger said the Lakers’ new ownership group would honor the governorship agreement between Walter and Jeanie Buss.

“We have enormous respect and appreciation for Jeanie, her father and what they’ve contributed to this franchise,” Iger told the California Post Wednesday.. “And we have every intention to honor the agreement that was made between Mark and Jeanie. If things change, they’ll change, but we’re going into this with enormous respect and appreciation for who she is and what she represents in the organization.”

This story will be updated.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

LIV Golf finally admits Team Championship is canceled

Published

on

LIV Golf has canceled its Team Championship, scheduled for Aug. 27-30 at The Cardinal in Plymouth, Mich., after weeks of tour officials insisting the event would take place as scheduled.

LIV’s announcement on Monday made official what had become increasingly obvious: that the championship — originally envisioned as the highlight of the breakaway tour’s season and its entire team-focused model — was not going to happen, even if LIV officials had repeatedly denied reports to the contrary and kept the event on the public schedule.

The Cardinal showed no signs of construction in recent weeks, including the grandstands and hospitality areas that dominate every professional golf tournament. LIV only stopped selling tickets last week, days after Fox Sports, LIV’s U.S. broadcast partner, removed the event from its TV listings.

At least three LIV players — Tyrrell Hatton, Tom McKibbin and Adrian Meronk — went so far as to make alternate plans, putting themselves on the entry list for the DP World Tour’s British Masters, which is held the same week.

This is the second event to be canceled in the wake of the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund’s (PIF) decision in April to withdraw future funding for the upstart league. One of the first moves was to “postpone” the event scheduled for New Orleans in June, citing the summer heat in Louisiana and the attention that would otherwise be on the World Cup. Both were known issues well before the event was scheduled.

On Monday, LIV announced that the team champion will be determined during this week’s event in Indianapolis. “By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands,” LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil said in a statement.

LIV also announced that its planned post-round concerts for Indianapolis, featuring country singer Thomas Rhett and DJ Disco Lines, have been canceled, citing “unavoidable changes in the entertainment program.”

O’Neil has been pitching a “LIV 2.0” to private investors, hoping to keep the league afloat with a new business model — fewer events and smaller purses, with players given a majority equity share in hopes they’ll continue to play on the rebel circuit.

But LIV’s plans have absorbed one direct hit after another in recent weeks.

The Asian Tour announced last month that it will partner with the PGA Tour and DP World Tour moving forward. LIV had previously worked with the Asian Tour to give playing opportunities to its golfers, as well as to meet requirements to receive Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) points.

And the DP World Tour has notified players to expect financial penalties if they attempt to play on both tours in 2027, citing its conflicting events rule.

The league has faced deep uncertainty around its future since losing the PIF’s support — a move that also saw PIF chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan step down from the league’s board of directors. In response, LIV brought in an independent board, with two new members, Gene Davis and Jon Zinman. Davis is the CEO of a consulting firm that specializes in turnaround management, with past and current clients that include Spirit Airlines and Weight Watchers.

There are ongoing financial liabilities as well. Mobii, which produced LIV’s “Any Shot, Any Time” feature on its broadcasts, sued the golf circuit for $1.13 million for outstanding unpaid invoices and breach of contract. The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Miami last month, alleges that LIV paid all of its bills in 2025 but stopped making payments this year.

LIV filed a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) on July 8 in New York, a legal step that is necessary for potential layoffs.

The Athletic‘s Brendan Quinn and Brody Miller contributed to this report.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

PAOK fans occupy stadium in protest at sale of Giannis Konstantelias

Published

on

Giannis Konstantelias’ transfer from PAOK Thessaloniki to Borussia Dortmund has been a saga.

It provoked a furious response from the fans of the Greek Super League club, led the ultras to occupy the team’s offices and stadium, and has the potential to ratchet up the intensity of an ownership squabble.

It’s a complicated story with a gifted homegrown player at its heart.

Skilful, technical and ambitious with the ball at his feet, Konstantelias, a 23-year-old attacking midfielder, is among the finest players Greece has produced. His move to Dortmund was completed on Monday and could eventually be worth more than €30million (£25.6m, $34.7m), making it the second-most valuable deal in the history of Greek football.

He could have been sold last summer. In July 2025, PAOK agreed a deal with Stuttgart, another Bundesliga side. Ultimately, the response to that news in Thessaloniki was so negative that the deal was cancelled at the last minute.

Konstantelias had said goodbye to his team-mates and was scheduled to undergo a medical in Germany. But he never arrived. Nobody has ever confirmed what happened, but the transfer collapsed and shortly after, Konstantelias signed a new four-year contract.

Twelve months on, the response to this agreement with Dortmund has been no better.


On Saturday, thousands of fans gathered outside Toumba Stadium, PAOK’s home, burning flares under a banner that read “occupation”. Protests entered a second day on Sunday, during which some supporters infiltrated the club’s offices and demanded an audience with the owner, Ivan Savvidis. 

In March 2018, Russian-born billionaire Savvidis received global attention for storming the pitch at the end of a game against AEK Athens. With the score 0-0, a late PAOK goal was disallowed. Savvidis ordered his team’s players back to the dressing room before confronting the officials with a holstered revolver strapped to his hip.

As reported by the BBC, Savvidis received a suspended prison sentence, a €100,000 fine, and a three-year stadium ban, later reduced to eight months on appeal. He later apologised. “I am very sorry. I clearly had no right to enter the field of play in this fashion,” Savvidis said in a lengthy statement.

The portrait is of an owner unlikely to be responsive to supporter pressure. On social media, one of the ultra groups — “Gate 4” — released a strong statement, making its position on the sale of Konstantelias clear.

Ivan Savvidis, owner of PAOK, celebrates his team winning the Greek Super League football title in 2019 (Sakis Mitrolidis/AFP via Getty Images)

“Despite all the know-it-alls, bought-and-paid-for journalists, and doomsayers, PAOK fans have only one demand: that Giannis Konstantelias, the greatest footballer to have worn our club’s jersey since Giorgos Koudas, continues to wear the jersey with the double-headed eagle on his chest.”

When Konstantelias arrived in Dortmund for his medical, he was met at the local airport by a PAOK fan. The stranger engaged him in conversation and then, according to Dortmund daily newspaper Ruhr Nachrichten, which obtained and published footage of the exchange, he invited Konstantelias to speak with other PAOK supporters by video call. The clip shows the 23-year-old telling the supporters that the move was his decision and that he still loved the club.

PAOK have been approached for comment.

Konstantelias is not just an excellent player. He was their star. A Greek Player of the Year who joined the club’s academy at nine and made his first-team debut when he was only 17. Even at 23, he is among the best players in the team’s history.

Themis Kessaris is the editor-in-chief of Sport24, one of Greece’s largest sports websites.

“Konstantelias is seen by the fans of PAOK — and by every other club in the country — as the biggest Greek talent that has played for PAOK since the 1980s and the legendary club captain Giorgos Koudas,” he tells The Athletic.

“This season also marked the 100th anniversary of the club’s birth, and so this is supposed to be a year of celebration. On our website, we hosted a poll and invited fans of PAOK to vote for the biggest athletes in the history of PAOK — across all sports — and Giorgos Koudas was voted unanimous No 1.

“He’s the equivalent of Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool. So, you can understand that selling the best player since him, when the club is celebrating 100 years of life, is more than enough for these protests and the occupation of the club’s offices and stadium.”

In the same poll, Konstantelias finished fifth, which gives some indication as to how he’s viewed. But if the protests seem broader in scope, then it’s because there is more to them.

Savvidis has owned PAOK since 2012. The club have won four titles in their 100 years, and two of them, in 2018-19 and 2023-24, occurred during his tenure. In 2019, they became the second Greek side in history to win the domestic league undefeated.

“But it’s not only success in terms of leagues and cups,” says Kessaris. “Savvidis has done everything to make PAOK financially strong. He personally wiped off the club’s debts to the state (totalling roughly €11m).

“PAOK has also emerged during that time as one of the best producers of Greek talent, beyond just Konstantelias. Christos Tzolis, who was sold to Norwich City and has recently joined Arsenal. Stefanos Tzimas, who is about to play his second season for Brighton. And Konstantinos Koulierakis, who moved to Wolfsburg and now plays for Roma, and Dimitris Giannoulis, who returned to the club just a few weeks ago.”

New Arsenal winger Christos Tzolis used to play for PAOK (Alex Caparros/Getty Images)

Savvidis’ grip on PAOK has been challenged in recent years, particularly by rival billionaire Telis Mistakidis, a commodities trader born in Thessaloniki.

In 2025, Mistakidis attempted to fund the construction of a new stadium — an offer that Savvidis did not welcome — but is now the majority owner of PAOK’s basketball club, having acquired a 60.8 per cent share in November 2025.

He has been ambitious, signing new players and appointing the former coach of the Greek national team, and aims to restore PAOK’s basketball team to the national power it was in the 1980s and 1990s. Will it stop there? Kessaris thinks it’s unlikely.

“We can all assume Mistakidis will try to be involved in football at some point and so now, with the imminent sale of Giannis Konstantelias, we might say that the pressure is on Ivan Savvidis again.”

A record sale is compensation. Konstantelias also now has the opportunity to climb towards the top of the game and become another PAOK success story within a major European league.

“Yianni, we wholeheartedly wish you the best of luck and every success in this new chapter of your career,” read a post on the club’s official X account, confirming his sale. “It was inevitable that the time would come for you to spread your wings, to fly even higher, to chase all your dreams. We’ll always be watching you and rejoicing in every step you take, because when our own kids progress and soar high, it fills us with pride too.”

There will be pride, of course, but it will be tinged with regret that such a special player is departing so soon.

“Konstantelias had the opportunity — and maybe this was just a dream— to become someone like Francesco Totti at Roma”, says Kessaris. “This club has not won the most leagues or cups in the country, but it was a chance to be something great for the city.

“He was not someone who was chasing a move from a young age like other players, and his ambition was not just to go to the Premier League. That is his character and because I knew that, I always thought he would be like a Koudas or a Totti. A one-club player. It’s a pity that it has ended so soon.”

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.