EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — New York Giants star wide receiver Malik Nabers participated in full-speed team drills Monday, the first time he’s done so since tearing his ACL in Week 4 last season.
Nabers, who said he “felt good” after practice, took four reps in the 11-on-11 period and three in seven-on-seven while wearing a red, non-contact jersey; Monday’s practice was in shells, so there was no contact. Nabers wasn’t targeted during the 11-on-11 period, but he made catches on all three reps in seven-on-seven, including his last one, a leaping grab on a high pass.
After the seven-on-seven period, Nabers moved off to the side and ran routes with a trainer, which Nabers said was pre-planned and not the result of anything negative that happened Monday.
It’s clear Nabers isn’t quite 100 percent yet, but Monday was still a significant step forward in the recovery process for the Giants’ 2024 first-round draft pick, who is expected to play a huge role in the passing offense this year. The Giants have remained hopeful throughout training camp that Nabers will be ready to play Week 1. While that’s still no guarantee, it appears as though he’s on track.
The dynamic receiver immediately established himself as a star as a rookie, recording 109 receptions, 1,204 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in 2024. Before suffering his season-ending injury last year, Nabers tallied 18 receptions for 271 yards and two touchdowns in parts of four games.
Despite speculation throughout the spring and summer, Nabers did not start training camp on the physically unable to perform list. Instead, he’s been working in individual drills, catching passes and running routes as practice kicks off. He’s participated in offensive install as well as in walkthrough practices; he has only missed one day as he’s ramped back up.
In last Thursday’s practice, Nabers reached what coach John Harbaugh called a “milestone” as he partook in team drills in a “no-physicality practice.” While the practice resembled what the Giants did in their West Virginia walk-throughs, Harbaugh and the team clearly viewed Nabers’ progress last week as a huge step forward.
“I feel like the players were excited when we talked about it in meetings (Thursday) morning,” Harbaugh said. “They were excited. They were giving him a hard time at practice. But everybody was happy he was out there. It’s a big step.”
In other Giants news, the team signed quarterback Jake Haener while releasing QB Brandon Allen in a corresponding move Monday. Allen struggled in New York’s preseason opener Saturday, finishing 5-of-8 passing for 45 yards with two interceptions against the Minnesota Vikings. He also took one sack.
Haener, meanwhile, had worked out for the Giants before camp started. It remains to be determined if the Giants will keep another quarterback behind starter Jaxson Dart and backup Jameis Winston on their opening 53-man roster, but the ex-Saints QB will have a couple of weeks to prove himself in Giants camp.
Finally, the Giants hosted veteran running back Najee Harris for a visit Monday. The 28-year-old is working back from a torn Achilles he suffered early last season while a member of the Los Angeles Chargers and playing for John Harbaugh’s brother, Jim.
The Giants have had Harris on their radar for a while and are likely eager to take a look at how far along he is in his recovery. It’s also worth noting that depth running back Dante “Turbo” Miller is currently out with a groin injury. He appeared to have sustained the injury Saturday while covering a punt.