Sports
49ers’ defense shows cracks vs. Chargers, despite Osa Odighizuwa’s heroics
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — Besides a walk-through and a few meetings, the San Francisco 49ers have essentially an off-day at the hotel Wednesday before they play the Los Angeles Chargers in a preseason game Thursday night.
For the defense, that will be more time to reflect on what could not have been a fun film session following Tuesday’s joint practice at the Chargers’ facility.
Los Angeles quarterback Justin Herbert did whatever he wanted, throwing deep to Quentin Johnston and Brenen Thompson, across the middle to Ladd McConkey and even across his body as he scrambled right for another touchdown pass.
What’s really going to sting the collective pride is running back Omarion Hampton trucking not one, but two 49ers defenders in practice. The speedy Hampton showed his power by sending safety Ji’Ayir Brown and rookie linebacker Jaden Dugger flying on runs.
For the optimists out there, a few of the big plays wouldn’t have happened in real life. The 49ers did get some pressure on Herbert, and sacks aren’t allowed in scrimmages. If they were, defensive tackle Osa Odighizuwa would have had about six.
Trading for the former Dallas Cowboy was one of the best moves the 49ers made this offseason.
“It just seems like he just keeps getting better and better, right?” linebacker Fred Warner said after practice. “I love the mindset, the tenacity, the physicality that he brings to the position and to our defense. We know how important it is to get pressure up front on the quarterback and in the run game.
“I think he’s just gonna continue to get better as we keep going.”
Undrafted rookie defensive tackle James Thompson Jr. built on a strong training camp with some powerful rushes up the middle and a tackle for loss in the running game.
Ogbo Okoronkwo also had what would have been a sack, while cornerback Jack Jones had his daily pass breakup and Renardo Green was solid compared to the rest of the defensive backs …
Enough of the positivity. Here’s a summary of all the carnage on the defensive side:
• The 49ers might have been lulled into a sense of overconfidence coming off last week’s joint practice with the Tennessee Titans. The Chargers are a different animal, starting with their physical offensive line — tackle Joe Alt finished one block on a touchdown after his helmet was knocked off — bazooka-armed quarterback and quick receivers.
The Niners might have known they were in for a long day when they were surprised that Chargers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel started with unbalanced formations.
• Thompson beat cornerback Deommodore Lenoir and Brown deep right out of the gate, although an Odighizuwa sack would have prevented it in game conditions. Johnston made a one-handed catch deep down the sideline as Lenoir grabbed him and was called for pass interference. Johnston would stop soon after, tweaking his ankle, while center Tyler Biadasz was carted off after sustaining a leg injury, but the Chargers’ offense didn’t miss a beat.
• There were also a lot of soft spots in the middle of the defense, as McConkey slipped free, and Hampton and fullback Alec Ingold each had some big gains on checkdown passes.
McConkey caught a touchdown pass while being held by Jones. He was also the recipient of that ridiculous across-the-body throw by Herbert mentioned above. At that point, the Chargers were scoring on four straight plays during the red zone scrimmage. Tight ends ran free like voodoo-induced kids in a small town after midnight.
• Brown did get revenge on Hampton by lowering his shoulder to hit the running back into the sideline when he tried to turn the corner. That got a rise out of the 49ers defenders, but it was too little too late.
Warner said he didn’t notice if it was that bad for his defense.
“It’s hard to tell, when you’re in the battle, what’s exactly going on,” he said. “You’ve got to see the tape to really see what it looks like. But any time you get to go against another team, it’s a great opportunity to see where you stand.
“Luckily, it was a good test for us.”
And it seems like pass rusher Nick Bosa (knee) might finally be back for Saturday’s practice, while defensive end Keion White (adductor) returned Tuesday. (Coach Kyle Shanahan said, though, defensive end Mykel Williams likely won’t be back by the season opener as he continues to rehab a torn ACL.)
So, things are looking up. Some of the starters will get a chance for some payback Thursday night, as Shanahan said he won’t rest many of them.
>
Sports
Arthur Okonkwo: Charlton Athletic sign Wrexham goalkeeper on loan
Charlton Athletic have signed goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo on a season-long loan from Wrexham.
Okonkwo has kept 46 clean sheets in 121 games for Wrexham, having joined the team initially in 2023 on loan before making the move permanent a year later.
The 24-year-old played 39 Championship games for the club last season but did not feature in the match-day squad for their opening league game against Cardiff City.
The Nigerian international becomes Charlton’s eighth signing of the summer so far.
“Arthur is a further reflection of the calibre of player we’re attracting during our second season back in the Championship,” Charlton managing director James Rodwell told the club website, external.
“He’s an outstanding goalkeeper with proven ability, and we’re excited to see the impact he can make for the club over the course of the campaign.”
>
Sports
Liverpool interested in Brighton’s Yankuba Minteh
Liverpool have made an approach to Brighton to sign winger Yankuba Minteh.
The 22-year-old Gambia international has scored 10 goals and provided nine assists in 73 appearances for the Seagulls.
Minteh, who joined Brighton from Newcastle for £30m in 2024, plays primarily on the right wing and is currently recovering from a leg injury sustained in a friendly against Roma earlier this month.
The priority for Reds boss Andoni Iraola for the remainder of the transfer window is to strengthen his wide attacking options after the departure of Mohamed Salah, and Liverpool will continue to look at a number of possibilities to test the market.
They signed Victor Munoz, who can play as a winger or through the middle, from Osasuna for £34m earlier this summer.
Paris St-Germain’s Bradley Barcola remains a priority for Liverpool but as it stands the sides are too far apart on their valuation of the 23-year-old France winger, who is open to moving to Anfield.
PSG are holding out for a fee in the region of £145m but Liverpool would be more willing to strike a deal closer to the £100m mark.
>
Sports
FIH World Cup: England women’s tournament hopes end at group stage
England women’s hopes of success at the FIH Hockey World Cup ended at the group stage after a 0-0 draw with India.
David Ralph’s side finish third in Pool D on four points, with two teams moving forward to the next round, and will now play in a classification phase that sees teams placed from 9th to 16th.
England won their opening match 4-0 against South Africa on Sunday but lost to China two days later, conceding four before Tess Howard and Sophie Hamilton reduced the deficit.
The national side have not challenged in tournaments since winning Commonwealth gold in 2022, finishing fourth in the 2023 EuroHockey Nations Championship, and fifth last year.
Teams from England and Great Britain have finished no higher than sixth in the FIH Pro League since a third place in 2020-21, while Great Britain also finished eighth at the 2024 Paris Olympics.
Meanwhile England’s men are through to the second stage of the men’s World Cup, topping Pool D with three wins out of three.
They defeated Pakistan 4-1 and India 4-2 prior to beating Wales 8-2 in their final group stage match on Wednesday.
They move in a second stage pool with India, with their 4-2 win carried forward, and will face two qualifiers from Pool A on Saturday and Monday as they attempt to reach the semi-finals.
England women play Chile on Friday and Japan on Sunday in their classification pool, with both World Cups being held in Wavre in Belgium and Amstelveen in the Netherlands.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
