Connect with us

Sports

New York City marathon 2026: Conner Mantz, Sifan Hassan make comebacks, defending champions return

Published

on

The elite fields for the 2026 New York City marathon have been announced.

American record-holder Conner Mantz set to make his injury comeback in the men’s event, while the women’s field is headlined by Olympic champion Sifan Hassan.

Last year’s men’s winner Benson Kipruto and women’s champion Hellen Obiri will also attempt to retain their respective titles.

The November 1 race will be Mantz’s first over the distance since running 2:04:43 for fourth place in Chicago last October, when he became the first U.S. man to break two hours and five minutes, bettering Khalid Khannouchi’s mark from 2002.

Mantz, 29, was forced to withdraw from the Boston marathon in April because of a sacral stress fracture (at the base of the spine). The Brigham Young University graduate missed out on favourable conditions that led to John Korir breaking the course record with a 2:01:52 run.

“The injuries have definitely changed how I’m heading into this,” Mantz told reporters. “We’re trying to be more cautious. It’s more (about) executing a race (strategy) and staying healthy than it is pushing all these workouts and mileage. The goal is to get to the start line 100 per cent healthy and see what happens.”

Mantz has the ninth-fastest PR of the 42-strong men’s field, which features four more national-record holders and nine other men with sub-2:05 bests. He is vying for a first major marathon podium at his seventh attempt.

In the 31-strong women’s field, versatile distance athlete Hassan, 33, returns having not raced since this marathon last year. The Ethiopian-born Dutch runner is the fourth-fastest marathoner of all-time with a best of 2:13:44, but pulled out of London in April because of an achilles problem.

Hassan won three medals at Paris 2024 (Franck Fife/AFP via Getty Images)

“The course was very hard, and the positive part was (that) the crowd was very loud,” she said of her 2:24:43 run for sixth, which left her four minutes off the podium. “Next time I don’t need that much caffeine because it will get more crazy. New York last year really tested me. I pushed so hard and I was really suffering a lot. This year I will prepare better.”

The wheelchair divisions include Swiss athletes Marcel Hug and Catherine Debrunner, winners of the men’s and women’s races in London this year. Hug, a seven-time Olympic champion, has won in New York seven times, including four of the last five years.

Debrunner, the world-record holder and fastest ever in New York (1:39:32 in 2023), will have to contend with home favourite Tatyana McFadden, the 2025 runner-up and a five-time winner. McFadden holds the quickest PR in the division (1:31:30) and has won 24 major marathons.


The defending champions

The 2025 men’s champion Kipruto, a four-time major winner and ninth on the all-time list (2:02:16), is attempting to become the first man since Geoffrey Mutai in 2013 to claim consecutive New York titles. “I’m coming well prepared for the last kick,” the 35-year-old said, having beaten fellow Kenyan Alexander Mutiso in a photo finish last time.

Kipruto (left) beat Mutiso by only centimeters in the last edition of the race (Ishika Samant/Getty Images)

Women’s champion Obiri, meanwhile debuted in New York in 2022 and is a two-time winner, including last year when she broke the course record (2:19:51). The Kenyan, 36, ran her personal best in London in April (2:15:53s), losing out to Tigst Assefa, who beat her in a sprint finish to set a women’s-only world-record.

“I am happy because New York has been like my home, I know everything about the course,” Obiri said. She added that her training is closely replicating the elevation profile of the course, with its hills.


Ones to watch

U.S. runner Zouhair Talbi  will also race in New York. It will be his second marathon of the year after a fifth-place run in Boston. His 2:03:45 Boston time stands as the fastest by a U.S. man in all conditions (Boston is not record-eligible because of its elevation profile and point-to-point course).

He will be joined by Great Britain’s Patrick Dever, who came fourth last year on his marathon debut, and was upgraded to the podium when Kenya’s Albert Korir subsequently tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

European 10,000m gold medallist Andreas Almgren is also one to watch, having broken a championship record which had stood since 1978 this month. He holds the European half-marathon record (58:41 in Valencia).

Jess McClain is the leading American woman among the field. The Stanford graduate, 34, holds a PR of 2:20:49. She made her major marathon debut at New York in 2024, and said: “I was just overwhelmed by the greatness and didn’t really know what my ceiling was.”

Having finished fifth at Boston as the top U.S. athlete, McClain says she’s “thinking bigger than that. How can I get on the podium?”

The wildcard in the women’s field is Weini Kelati, 29, who is making her marathon debut. “This is the right moment and the right place to do it,” the Eritrean-born American said, stepping up following a track career which included a national 10,000m title at the 2024 Olympic trials, and an eighth-place finish at the Games in Paris. Kelati broke the U.S. half marathon record in Barcelona this February, running 1:06:04 for second place.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Jorge Polanco’s disappointing first season with Mets to end with surgery

Published

on

New York Mets designated hitter Jorge Polanco looks up after being callout on strikes during the seventh inning against the Miami Marlins at Citi Field.

Jorge Polanco signed a two-year, $40 million contract with the Mets to replace Pete Alonso. Vincent Carchietta / Imagn Images

New York Mets key offseason signing Jorge Polanco needs season-ending surgery, manager Andy Green told reporters Wednesday after the organization placed the struggling first baseman on the injured list with left ankle bursitis.

It is the latest in a series of blows for the Mets, who sit in last place in the National League East, and Polanco, who has not met expectations since signing a two-year, $40 million contract to replace Pete Alonso.

Polanco had already missed a good chunk of this season with a right wrist contusion and never seemed to hit his stride — hitting .148 with a .431 OPS. The injury limited the 33-year-old to 37 games, only two of which came at first base. 

In a corresponding move, the Mets recalled Eric Wagaman, who has a .956 OPS in 22 games with Triple-A Syracuse.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms

>

Continue Reading

Sports

England v Pakistan First Test: Salman Ali Agha and Muhammad Rizwan are dismissed in back-to-back balls by Josh Tongue

Published

on

Josh Tongue removes Salman Ali Agha and Ali Usman in back-to-back balls but falls just short of the hat-trick as Khurram Shahzad hits the third delivery emphatically for four on day one of the opening Test between England and Pakistan at Headingley.

FOLLOW LIVE: England v Pakistan – Day One

Available to UK users only.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

How does Andy Reid handle doubts about him, Chiefs offense? ‘I’m the biggest critic’

Published

on

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. — Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid is not accustomed to this type of national narrative — at least not lately.

After the Chiefs’ 6-11 finish last season, some football analysts have begun questioning whether the 68-year-old Reid still has his fastball offensively.

Is the Chiefs offense getting stale? Predictable? Can Reid elevate offenses like he once did?

Speaking with reporters in his makeshift office in a Missouri Western dorm room on Wednesday, Reid was asked how he approached a recent stretch in which his offense — and his own ability — was being questioned.

“That’s OK. That was the case in Philly every day, so I get it,” Reid said with a half-smile, referring to his 14 seasons with the Eagles before changing tone. “But you’re only as good as the next play, and it’s important that we do well. I’m the biggest evaluator and critic of it. I don’t have to worry about others and how they feel. I analyze it and see it and stay up on it and see how it rolls.”

Eric Bieniemy returns to action with the Chiefs

Jesse Newell

Last month, Reid was ranked the sixth-best offensive play caller in The Athletic’s poll of NFL defensive coaches and play callers — down from fourth place last season. Notably, one NFC defensive coordinator said he believed the Chiefs offense had gotten “a little predictable” before saying specifically of Reid, “I don’t necessarily have the same ‘I’m staying up all night’ feel with him.”

It’s the same type of media criticism that, historically, has helped fuel quarterback Patrick Mahomes to perform at his best each season.

So does this kind of buzz fire up Reid?

“It fired me up that we didn’t do well, and I’m not good with that,” Reid said. “I don’t like to lose, and I don’t like to not be productive. That’s not how I roll. I want to make sure that gets changed around.”

The Chiefs have made some offensive changes in training camp after last year’s disappointment. The team brought in top free-agent running back Kenneth Walker III and has gone with more under-center snaps, with greater emphasis on the screen game, too.

Andy Reid is the oldest head coach in the NFL at 68, but he doesn’t sound like he’s thinking of retiring soon. (Jamie Squire / Getty Images)

Chiefs president Mark Donovan previously said discussions to fix things for 2026 began on the team’s plane ride back from its Week 18 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders last season. Reid, for his part, said at that point on the flight, “I knew what needed to be done, so I started just going about it then.”

Offseason personnel changes included bringing in offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy to replace Matt Nagy, as well as hiring new assistant coaches Chad O’Shea (receivers) and DeMarco Murray (running backs).

“I’m not gonna say your mind wasn’t churning before that (flight), but you want to correct the wrong that took place. That’s how we went about the offseason,” Reid said. “That last game wasn’t pretty football.”

What potential improvement areas circled Reid’s mind most? One was the execution of plays, which he “didn’t think was at a high standard with what we had going, what we expect.” Getting extra months in the offseason — with no postseason appearance — also provided extra time to evaluate the offensive scheme.

“You can go back and you can really analyze and hopefully make the changes you think need to be made. It’ll give you a chance to get on with this,” Reid said. “I love the attitude, the way the guys approached the offseason.”

Reid also wanted to be sure players were held accountable with the small details that can determine the success of each play. Reid can’t be around for every part of every meeting, and he believed, from working with Bieniemy before, that one of his new OC’s great strengths was harping on those finer points.

“(Nagy) was good, too. I don’t want to take something away from him on how he went about it,” Reid said. “I just like the chemistry that is going on right now.”

It’s an important year for Reid, especially as he reaches the twilight of his career. Reid, the oldest active NFL head coach, is entering his 14th season with the Chiefs.

Reid said his love of the game was only reinforced during his monthlong vacation away this offseason.

“I get around the Fourth of July, and I’m going, ‘Man, I gotta get back,’” Reid said with a grin. “So between those 14 grandkids bossing me around and my beautiful bride bossing me around … get back to the dorm.”

Reid said he’s looking to cherish the time he does have left in his coaching career.

“I know I’m on the downhill of it, so I enjoy it,” Reid said. “I think when you get on that downside of it, you bust your tail. You go, ‘Man, I have everything set up for retirement.’ Then you get there, and you go, ‘Man, I appreciate every day I get to do this.’

“I don’t know when that time is, but I know I’m on the other side of it.”

Reid’s immediate focus is getting the Chiefs back to the top of the NFL. And he says no one is more committed to that vision than he is.

“I don’t think anybody was happy with the way the whole season ended up. And I know I wasn’t,” Reid said. “I haven’t had a lot of those, and don’t like when we do.”

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.