Sports
Jamal Musiala: What is happening to Bayern Munich forward?
Musiala’s recent diagnosis is the latest setback in what has been a desperately unlucky period to his highly successful career.
His 2024-25 campaign was ended by injury in early April and, just over a week later, he was involved in a serious traffic accident.
Musiala was still able to return to action two months later to take part in the Fifa Club World Cup but then suffered a broken leg and dislocated ankle – in the quarter-final against Paris St-Germain – which ruled him out for 196 days.
The former England Under-21 international then played with a metal plate in his foot from January until the end of this summer’s World Cup in North America, where he made four appearances for Germany.
The plate was removed in July, limiting his ability to train during pre-season.
“Musiala hasn’t been much of a factor in the past 18 months,” said German football expert Constantin Eckner. “He came back for the Club World Cup but suffered a broken leg when he collided with Gianluigi Donnarumma.
“It took him months to recover from that. He just had a metal plate removed from his left foot so he played with that for half a year and had to deal with ankle issues.
“Naturally, his performances left much to be desired. The start to the upcoming season would have been difficult anyway, because he didn’t take part in team training for some time due to the surgery in which the plate was removed. Now, there’s another stumbling block.”
Eckner added Bayern’s £43m summer signing of Morocco attacking midfielder Ismael Saibari was in part to protect against Musiala’s fitness issues.
“Musiala is Bayern’s top earner alongside Harry Kane, but his contribution hasn’t been anywhere close to Kane’s,” he said. “He is still young and things can change again.
“He has a release clause in his contract that could be triggered next summer, but the fee would be in the nine digits. It is unrealistic that any club would be willing to pay that for him at the moment.”
>
Sports
What’s an extra half mile? Edmonton Marathon apologizes after miscalculating length of race
It took a while, but the Edmonton Marathon admits it was too long. The race was 674 meters longer than the event’s 26.2-mile distance, organizers admitted Tuesday in a statement and apologized for miscalculating the length of its marathon and half-marathon races.
“The review has identified an error in how this year’s detour-related course adjustments were calculated, and for that we sincerely apologize,” race director Tom Keogh said in the statement. “The event owns this error, and we take full responsibility. We appreciate the many participants who have emailed and the ones that we have followed up with to have additional conversations.”
After receiving complaints from runners, the organization initially defended its course and measurements, but Keogh said later that the certification process was done “with the best information it had at the time,” as additional distance had been added due to a bridge detour. According to Keogh, the original distance was “partially offset with adjustments made to the course’s west end turnaround point.”
Upon further review, the organization determined that the turnaround point didn’t fully offset the additional detour, resulting in an extra distance of 674.4 meters (approximately 0.42 miles) for the half-marathon and marathon courses.
The half marathon, which served as the Canadian Half Marathon Championships, was won by Rory Linkletter and Jadyn Keeler. After the race, Linkletter was among the most vocal critics to speak out about the length of the course and the difference between the GPS and map data change from 2025 to 2026.
“This makes no sense,” Linkletter said in a video posted to Instagram before Tuesday’s statement. “The right thing to do here is to re-measure the course, admit that this was a long course and let people have the satisfaction that, ‘Hey, for 21.85k I ran 64.30 something.’ … That would make everyone feel better. Instead, you’re telling us, ‘You actually ran slow.’”
Some participants ran qualifying times for future races such as the Boston Marathon, and the organization said it is working with Athletics Canada and relevant partners to determine how this year’s results can be recognized.
This event marked the 35th edition of the marathon race in Edmonton, which is often called the Friendly Marathon.
>
Sports
Irish Premiership: Cliftonville ‘not a plaything for TIG’ – Conor Devine
TIG’s takeover has been a far from a smooth journey and has taken over two years with their first attempt halted when club members stopped talks before the group took their offer off the table in January.
However, in June, the members authorised for the club’s management committee to enter formal negotiations with TIG and Monday’s eventual vote passed with 81% in favour.
“If you stand back and look at this, Cliftonville is a club that is held dearly by so many people,” he added.
“It was owned and controlled by the membership, so obviously, members are going to be reluctant to let it go effectively, especially to a private company. I understand all of the complexities around that.
“If you want to be open and honest about it, it just goes to show how much this club means to people. I just hope when it is complete, we can move together stronger as a team.”
Devine added that the Canadian consortium will be investing long-term and that it is a “passion project” for the group.
“This is a long-term play, this is not a five, six or a seven-year thing,” said Devine.
“One of the first things the guys said to me when we looked at this was that they are 25-year people, they are long-term. That is very unusual.
“These guys have spoken about ROIs [return on investment] or return in money; this is a passion project and an impact investment into the local area.”
>
Sports
England's two-man show – Tongue and Robinson take five wickets each
Ollie Robinson and Josh Tongue have a day to remember as they both take five-wicket hauls, as England bowl Pakistan out for 171 on day one of the first Test at Headingley.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
