Connect with us

movies

Vanessa Guillén: Film Biopic In The Works About Murdered Soldier

Published

on

EXCLUSIVE: U.S. production company Mighty Aphrodite Pictures has secured an option agreement to make an authorised narrative feature drama based on the life and legacy of U.S. Army Specialist Vanessa Guillén.

Developed in collaboration with the Guillén family, the project will chronicle the life of the young army recruit whose 2020 disappearance and murder at Fort Hood sparked a nationwide outcry and calls for reform within the U.S. military. The film seeks to celebrate Guillén’s life while honoring the tireless advocacy of her family, whose campaigning inspired lasting legislative change and amplified the voices of military families.

Guillén had long had the goal of serving in the Army but, after being assigned to Fort Hood, told friends and family of being sexually harassed by a superior. She did not report it officially for fear of retaliation. She would soon be bludgeoned to death by fellow soldier, Aaron David Robinson. Guillén had been missing for more than two months before some of her remains were found buried along the Leon River. Robinson fled Fort Hood after learning of the discovery. When law enforcement tried to apprehend him he fatally shot himself.

The events were previously spotlighted in Netflix’s 2020 documentary I Am Vanessa Guillen and in an ABC 20/20 episode from the same year.

This is far more than an opportunity to make a film, It’s a responsibility,” said Jorge Xolalpa, founder and CEO of Mighty Aphrodite Pictures, which specialises in projects with a Latinx focus, and who will direct the film. “From the very beginning, our commitment has been to honor Vanessa’s life with honesty, compassion, and authenticity. We are deeply grateful to Mayra and the Guillén family for placing their trust in us. Our promise is to tell Vanessa’s story in a way that preserves her legacy and inspires audiences for generations to come.”

The option agreement was facilitated by Palomera Group and Levy Law PLLC, the team repping Vanessa Guillen’s sister, Mayra Guillén. Mayra Guillén and Alejandra Palomera will serve as executive producers.

Joining Xolalpa on the project is Jolene Rodriguez of Broken English Productions who will produce with Xolalpa. Beyond the Vanessa Guillén film, Xolalpa and Rodriguez have entered into a three-film producing agreement. Xolalpa’s recent credits as director include features Union Station and Lolita, starring Johnny Ortiz, Alexis Vazquez and Eric Roberts.

>

Continue Reading

movies

David Krumholtz Clarifies Status of Career After Shocking Announcement

Published

on

After revealing that he was “frustrated, fried, fed up” with acting and had sent the “definitive email” to put his career on hold, David Krumholtz has taken to Instagram to clarify his now viral comments.

“Firstly, I am very well. And I feel very loved. Secondly, I never used the word ‘retiring’ or ‘quitting.’ Instead, I said that I decided to put my career on hold,” he explained in a post shared Wednesday morning, close to 48 hours after the initial post. “I don’t expect anyone to understand, but the outpouring of support for my decision has been deeply heartwarming. I am wildly grateful, as more than one of my biggest dreams have come true as a result of being an actor. Grateful to all who support and believe in me. However, a time has come where the weight of those dreams and ambitions has become surprisingly oppressive.”

He followed that up by stating that the oppressiveness is “a me problem, not a Hollywood as a whole problem.” With an “amazing career” comes “a small handful of triumphs, but not without a mountain of disappointments,” and while Krumholtz said he loves that mountain, he’s human and the disappointments are “starting to sting more than it used to.”

As a result, he’s made a decision to step back. “Need time to figure that out, let it heal. My mental health is vital to my family. My career has run the gamut. I’m in disbelief. But I find myself at a crossroads between the inherent self involvement being a professional actor requires, and a burning desire to give more of myself to others in need, in whatever way I can. And so, for the time being, I’m pursuing that goal. There’s still more work to come. Stuff to be seen. And as always, I really hope you enjoy what I’ve put out there. Just … gimme a sec.”

Krumholtz’s new post also generated tons of traction with his fellow actors, notably Oscar winner Jamie Lee Curtis who weighed in by writing, “THIS IS A DANGEROUS BUSINESS. It’s also a business in flux and shapeshifting in front of our eyes. Technology combined with the continued fallout from the pandemic and the artistic corporatization industrial complex of the art form we all love, has resulted in many many many many many many many artists losing opportunities and hope. Protect your mental health and find your bliss and know that you are respected as an artist and as a human.”

Jillian Bell called Krumholtz one of her favorite actors, and she’s waiting on the day he says, “Put me back in coach.” Neil Brown Jr. also chimed in: “Take the time champ, you’ve earned it and many of us understand completely.”

The clarification came in response to a flood of comments and news stories after Krumholtz posted and deleted the career news on Threads. “I kinda sorta put my acting career on hold the other day. It’s been something I’ve been petrified to do for years. Specifically, the fear was that I’d go broke and not be able to handle being out of the game. But I sent the definitive email,” he posted on Threads. “And gotta say, a huge wave of relief washed over me. Not sure what I’m going to do for money instead, or how I’m going to do it, but I just removed a humongous burden, one that I truly didn’t fathom the weight of until it was gone. Frustrated, fed up, fried.”

While he said that he had enjoyed “every single minute” of exercising his acting muscle, he had grown disillusioned with what comes with it. “I’ve enjoyed the fanfare. There was a time when being competitive and self-involved really served my pursuit. That time has passed. Much to MY overwhelming surprise. There will always be great joy in the exercise. But for me, the profession has lost its gleam.”

Fellow actor Garret Dillahunt was among those who responded to Krumholtz: “This is sad news for me. But I am happy for you. I understand completely.” Krumholtz wrote back and further elaborated on his next moves: “Ain’t over, rather, redefining my terms. Hoping to find a new, more rewarding passion. Me, my product, and [my] mentality is not working anymore. I want to try to be of service. No crystal ball.”

The 48-year-old veteran actor hails from New York and has worked consistently since breaking into the business on both the big and small screens with parts in Law & Order, Life with Mikey, Addams Family Values, The Santa Clause franchise (playing the beloved Head Elf Bernard) and The Ice Storm, to name a few early roles. He had regular roles on such shows as Monty, Chicago Sons, The Closer, The Trouble With Normal and Numb3rs, the latter of which lasted the longest with 119 episodes.

He also starred in high-profile movies like Slums of Beverly Hills opposite Natasha Lyonne, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Mexican, Sidewalks of New York, Ray, the Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle franchise, Crazy for Love, Bobby, Superbad, This is the End, Hail, Caesar! and more. He played Isidor Rabi in Christopher Nolan’s best picture winner Oppenheimer, which earned him rave reviews, and had a busy last couple of years starring in Springsteen: Deliver Me From Nowhere and opposite Seth Rogen in The Studio and Sausage Party: Foodtopia. Most recently, he played Zor-El in Supergirl.

>

Continue Reading

movies

‘Theo Of Golden’ Movie With Tom Hanks To Star Set At Warner Bros

Published

on

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros Pictures is in negotiations for the feature film rights to Allen Levi‘s breakout novel Theo of Golden, a word-of-mouth juggernaut bestseller that has established the first-time author as a publishing phenomenon as he nears 70. Deal is being papered I’m told, and Tom Hanks is in talks to play the title character.

Gil Netter, Gary Goetzman and Hanks will produce, and the author will be executive producer. Jesse Ehrman and Sheila Walcott are overseeing the project for Warner Bros. The team credits literary affairs executive Ian Dalyrimple for flagging the project to the studio.

Set in the fictional town of Golden, a man named Theo arrives and purchases pencil portraits of locals that are displayed in a coffee shop. He returns them to each subject, and these visits reveal stories and relationships, and they lead to Theo to come to terms with tragedy in his past.

Theo of Golden started its book trajectory in the most modest way possible. It was self-published in 2023 with little fanfare or promotion, by a first-time author who veered from a law career to making music from on an island he lives on in Georgia. The novel caught on slowly through word of mouth, aided by the herculean efforts of his niece Aron Ritchie, who found ways to increase the book’s visibility. This backstory I gleaned from a profile in the Washington Post, one of several publications like the Wall Street Journal and New York Times that sparked to Levi’s unlikely success story and wrote features. When Oprah Winfrey featured the author and his book on her podcast, things mushroomed.

The book was published wide by Simon & Schuster last October and has sold over 3.5 million copies stateside. It has been published in 43 languages and was a No. 1 bestseller in places like the Netherlands, Italy and the UK. Now it will be headed for the big screen, following the trajectory of books like Robert James Waller’s The Bridges of Madison County and a few others. Like that novel, Theo of Golden is particularly popular with a mature crowd of readers.

Netter is best known for producing homespun book-to-film adaptations including Marley & Me, The Blind Side, Life of Pi, Just Mercy, The Shack and Water for Elephants.

Playtone partners Goetzman and Hanks finished Greyhound 2, scripted by and starring Hanks, with Aaron Schneider once again directing. The Playtone partners are next prepping The Comebacker, which Marielle Heller is directing. Hanks stars in that film as the pitching coach of the New York Mets, and the film is about a young pitcher — Callum Turner is set to play him — whose life and career are shattered when he is struck by a batted ball after delivering a pitch. Sony acquired that film, which is based on a Dave Eggers short story that Heller adapted into a script.

Turner reunites with Hanks and Goetzman with the actor after his turn in the Apple epic World War II miniseries Masters of the Air. The Comebacker will shoot in early fall.

Levi is repped by WME, and Hanks by CAA.

>

Continue Reading

movies

‘Scary Movie’ Sets Paramount+ Release Date

Published

on

Scary Movie (aka Scary Movie 6) will begin streaming September 3 on Paramount+. That marks a 91-day window between theatrical and streaming for the Paramount/Miramax pic.

The latest reboot, which brought the Wayans Brothers back together, brought in over $230 million at the worldwide box office following its release. The pic before P&A spend, cost $30M. Twenty-six years after launching, the franchise crossed the $1 billion mark at the global box office in June.

Scary Movie 6, which comes 13 years since Scary Movie 5 and 26 years since the original film, is the first pure R-rated comedy (not a hybrid action or superhero genre movie) to cross $100M since 2017’s Girls Trip. Scary Movie opened to $105.5M worldwide, repping a franchise record.

Written by Marlon & Shawn & Craig & Keenan Ivory Wayans along with Rick Alvarez and directed by Michael Tiddes, the film saw the return of four key characters – Shorty (Marlon Wayans), Ray (Shawn Wayans), Brenda (Regina Hall), and Cindy (Anna Faris).

The pic also features familiar faces Dave Sheridan, Lochlyn Munro, Cheri Oteri and Chris Elliott, and newcomers including Kenan Thompson, Kim Wayans, Damon Wayans Jr., Heidi Gardner, Olivia Rose Keegan, Cameron Scott Roberts, Savannah Lee Nassif, Sydney Park, Gregg Wayans, Benny Zielke and Ruby Snowber.

Scary Movie is based on characters created by Shawn Wayans, Marlon Wayans, Buddy Johnson, Phil Beauman, Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer. Producers include Rick Alvarez, p.g.a., Craig Wayans, Marlon Wayans, p.g.a., Shawn Wayans and Keenen Ivory Wayans. Executive Producers including Jonathan Glickman, Thom Zadra, Alexandra Loewy, Marc Weinstock, Marsha L. Swinton and Neil H. Mortiz.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.