Sports
Sheffield United owner dispute: £35m payment, loss of control and points deduction warning
Sheffield United’s former owner United World has warned current owners Helmy Eltoukhy and Steven Rosen that they will lose control of the team if they fail to pay the £35million ($47million) it is claimed they still owe for the Championship club.
United World also claimed there is also a “real prospect” of a points deduction for Sheffield United this season.
The warning comes in a statement issued on Monday, two days before United World’s petition to wind up COH Sports Bidco Ltd (CSBL) — the company Eltoukhy and Rosen set up in 2024 to buy Sheffield United — is heard in a London business court on Wednesday.
How did we get here?
United World, owned by Saudi royal Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz bin Al Saud, filed the winding-up petition in early July, two weeks after a “board update” appeared on the club website that said the South Yorkshire-based team had a new “parent company”, 1919 Partners LLC.
The club announcement continued by saying the Delaware-based 1919 Partners “sits at the centre of the ownership structure and enables the club to attract additional investment over time”, before adding that “this development” had no impact on the club’s day-to-day running or financial stability.
The move came as a shock to United World, which sold Sheffield United and its property assets to the American duo in December 2024 for just over £100million ($135million), as it had been chasing them for missing takeover instalments.
Sheffield United were beaten in the 2025 Championship playoff final (Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Its initial reaction was to send letters, which The Athletic has seen, to the English Football League (EFL) and independent football regulator (IFR), asking them if they had approved the move to transfer Sheffield United’s shares from CSBL to 1919 Partners, while reminding them of four earlier warnings it had sent to the EFL about “the financial status of the ultimate owners” of the club.
The Athletic later confirmed that neither the EFL nor the IFR had approved the share transfer, with both organisations issuing statements that said they were making inquiries. That was nearly six weeks ago.
According to its most recent statement, United World believes there has been no progress in terms of resolving the financial dispute and claims the transfer of the club’s shares to 1919 Partners is “an attempt to avoid paying CSBL’s creditors”, namely United World.
“In short, they are trying to take the club without paying for it,” the Geneva-based company said.
Are Sheffield United at risk of an EFL breach?
United World, which has hired leading sports lawyer Nick De Marco to front its case, also claims that Rosen, the club’s co-chair with Eltoukhy, was a director at an American firm called Invacare that filed for bankruptcy in May 2023. Under EFL/IFR rules, individuals who have been involved in two insolvencies within a 10-year period cannot serve as directors of an English club or exercise any control over one.
Rosen’s relationship with Invacare is listed on the website of his Cleveland-based private equity firm, Resilience Capital Partners. The Athletic has approached Resilience for comment.
United World, which expects the winding-up petition to be granted, also notes that “once investigations are completed, there is a real prospect the EFL may have to impose a 12-point deduction” on United, as per league rules on clubs that suffer insolvency events.
“As the former owners of SUFC, United World does not want to see SUFC facing months of uncertainty that will follow the winding-up order being granted on 19 August, but in the absence of Eltoukhy and Rosen, both billionaires, agreeing to pay what they owe, we have no alternative but to take all legal steps to protect our interests,” it added.
What have Eltoukhy and Rosen said?
Eltoukhy and Rosen have not challenged the claim that United World is owed money but have issued a response to Monday’s warning.
“We are disappointed Prince Abdullah is trying to hurt the club and its supporters with publicity stunts,” a spokesperson for the owner group told The Athletic.
The spokesperson continued by pointing out that the Saudi royal was “well advised” at the time of the takeover and said the club is more “financially healthy” now than it was under his watch. Sheffield United were docked two points at the start of the 2024-25 season for making late payments to other clubs.
The spokesperson said Eltoukhy and Rosen “invited” the prince to “reinvest in the club and join the ownership of Sheffield United” once more, before adding that the co-owners “are focused on the sustainability of the club and the season ahead”.
When these points were put to United World by The Athletic, it said: “The debt is the only issue before the high court on Wednesday and the owners’ statement does not dispute the debt.”
United World noted that Rosen has also not denied being a director at Invacare at the time of its bankruptcy and questioned why the owners of a “financially healthy” club cannot pay the money they owe the former owner.
“Paying it would answer all questions about the club’s situation at once,” it said. “Instead, the owners are running a club they have not paid for and the club’s financial health, such as it is, is the result of (their) scheme to avoid paying for the club.”
When the pair bought Sheffield United, the club was top of the Championship, aiming to bounce back to the Premier League at the first opportunity. But four defeats in five games saw them slip into the play-offs and then lose to a stoppage-time goal in the play-off final against Sunderland in May 2025.
Last season, the team recovered from a disastrous start under new manager Ruben Selles to finish 13th under Chris Wilder, back for this third stint at Bramall Lane.
Sheffield United, who have had three short stints in the Premier League over the last two decades, started this season with a 0-0 draw at home to Birmingham City on Saturday. As this is their third season in the Championship since their last relegation, they will not benefit from a parachute payment to boost their finances.
The EFL declined to comment but an IFR spokesperson said: “We are aware of the winding-up petition in relation to COH Sports Bidco.
“We are engaging with the club and relevant organisation on this issue but cannot comment further at this stage.”
>
Sports
Yankee Stadium soccer pitch criticized by Union’s Alejandro Bedoya: ‘Absolutely the worst field ever’
Yankee Stadium’s temporary soccer pitch drew ridicule and criticism from fans and Philadelphia Union midfielder Alejandro Bedoya, who called it “absolutely the worst field ever” before Sunday’s win over New York City FC.
The field at Yankee Stadium, which mostly hosts baseball, has long been problematic for Major League Soccer matches. Grass is laid over the infield dirt of the baseball diamond, which is often still visible.
But it looked especially grotesque on Sunday evening. Significant chunks of the temporary grass — near second base on the baseball diamond, and near the sideline at midfield of the soccer pitch — looked dead.
“Look how patchy it is,” Bedoya said in a video that he later posted to Instagram.
There was also a solid strip on the field of play near one corner flag that wasn’t covered with grass. It appeared to be the first-base coach’s box.
“Look at this, rock hard,” Bedoya said in his video as he stomped on the solid surface. “This is terrible.”
The video was taken during pre-game familiarization, a time when players stroll the pitch in sneakers and casual clothes before changing into their boots and kits. In the background, one of Bedoya’s peers said: “MLS. S***!”
Bedoya then turned his camera to show a dark line — which appeared to be an outfield portion of the first-base line — intersecting the six-yard box.
About the pitch…
— Jonathan Tannenwald (@jtannenwald.bsky.social) 23:13 · Aug 16, 2026
“I cannot wait for the new stadium,” Bedoya continued, “because, yeah, Yankee Stadium, it’s cool for baseball. For soccer? Never.”
The “new stadium” that Bedoya referenced is Etihad Park, which will open in July of 2027. It is the soccer-specific stadium that NYCFC has been seeking for more than a decade, ever since it launched as an MLS expansion franchise in 2015 and even beforehand.
While the club explored potential sites and pursued various stadium plans, Yankee Stadium has been its primary home. The stadium, located in the Bronx, is owned by the City of New York but operated by Major League Baseball’s New York Yankees, whose holding company also owns a 10 per cent stake in NYCFC.
Throughout its decade-plus as a soccer venue, Yankee Stadium has drawn consistent derision, both for the narrowness of its pitch and the playing surface.
“It’s not a good pitch,” Montreal Impact coach Remi Garde said after a game there in 2019. “It’s a shame that good players, like there were on the field today on both sides, cannot play good football.”
It is not always as bad as it was on Sunday, though. The reasons for the pronounced issues weren’t immediately clear. An NYCFC spokesperson declined to comment. The Yankees had played there on Thursday, but were out of town for a weekend series and will remain on the road until Friday of the coming week — a relatively standard cadence.
After Thursday’s baseball game, a reporter on site captured a video of the field-conversion process beginning.
The pitch did not significantly impact Sunday’s match between the Union and NYCFC in any major moments, though all five goals were scored at the other end, where the outfield grass generally makes for an OK soccer surface.
NYCFC led 2-0 at halftime, but the Union came back to win 3-2, with striker Bruno Damiani scoring both the equalizer and the winner.
The Athletic has approached a MLS spokespeople for comment.
>
Sports
Eagles training camp: Sean Mannion reviews preseason debut, DeVonta Smith returns
PHILADELPHIA — Sights for sore eyes were plentiful on Monday.
The starters for the Philadelphia Eagles were back on the field after Saturday’s uninspiring performance by the reserves. Better still: DeVonta Smith practiced with limitations after missing nearly two weeks with a hamstring injury. The team’s No. 1 receiver participated in stretches and individual drills, but did not take part in team drills. (Players wore helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts in Monday’s practice).
It is not yet certain if Smith will be a full participant in Wednesday and Thursday’s joint practices with the New England Patriots. Smith’s availability in Week 1 is primary, and his Monday return suggests that is more than plausible.
How Eagles can tighten up on offense
Zach Berman and Brooks Kubena
Still, the Eagles seem closer to full strength against the Patriots. Cooper DeJean (groin) and Quinyon Mitchell (glute) both participated in team drills after missing Thursday’s practice. Saquon Barkley, who had his left foot/ankle checked on before exiting Thursday’s practice, also took part in team drills. Rookie safety Cole Wisniewski (hamstring) even made his training camp debut — and had a few snaps with the first-team rotation.
Their collective participation in joint practices, along with the rest of the first-team members, could go a long way toward cleansing the palate after the dismal debut of first-time offensive coordinator Sean Mannion’s system. The bottom of the offense’s depth chart fielded seven three-and-outs, which did not echo progress from the top. However, the starters have yet to play, and Mannion has yet to assemble a true in-season game plan with the full playbook available.
Mannion said the Eagles “kept things pretty close to the vest” schematically. He said that game planning was “secondary” to evaluating depth players within fundamental concepts. Still, he acknowledged the Eagles “have things that obviously need to be corrected” — most notably, eliminating the sort of penalties that killed their drives. The Eagles totaled five holding penalties, all on first or second down.
Otherwise, Mannion said there “weren’t a ton of mental errors” against the Baltimore Ravens. He was also “very happy with the process” of calling plays for the first time. He said his operation on the sideline was “smooth” and “comfortable.” There were no substitution issues. No jacked-up play calls. No rushed moments against the play clock. The Eagles did not have any plays in which the ball was snapped with one second left on the play clock, per TruMedia. The Eagles led the NFL with 150 last-second plays in 2025.
Mannion confirmed he will move from the sideline to the booth for Saturday’s preseason game in New England “to get a feel for both” vantage points. Mannion, 34, is a former quarterback who spent his college career at Oregon State and his nine-year NFL career on the sideline. He spent his first year coaching in the booth as an offensive assistant for the Green Bay Packers in 2024, then moved back to the sideline as their quarterbacks coach in 2025.
“I just kind of want to experience it once,” Mannion said. “I think it will offer good perspective.”
The Eagles have a closed walkthrough scheduled at their team facility on Tuesday. Their first joint practice with the Patriots begins at 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday.
Top takeaways from Day 12 of Eagles training camp
- Michael Carter II recorded his second interception of training camp. He picked off Jalen Hurts in team drills on a deep pass over the middle intended for Quez Watkins. Marcus Epps still appears to have the edge in the position battle at safety opposite Drew Mukuba. Epps did not suit up Saturday and went first with the first-team unit in team drills on Monday. But defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has said Carter has been “progressing nicely” at safety. It is worth remembering Jalyx Hunt led the 2025 Eagles with three interceptions. Carter is only helping his cause by forcing another turnover.
- Rookie safety Cole Wisniewski made his training camp debut after being sidelined with a hamstring injury. The seventh-rounder out of Texas Tech practiced under limitations, but still had reps with both the first- and second-team units. Wisniewski must make up for lost time and challenge Andre’ Sam, J.T. Gray and Maximus Pulley for reps.
- Linebacker Chance Campbell returned to practice after watching Saturday’s preseason opener from the sidelines. Campbell practiced four times under limitations last week with a groin injury. Those who did not practice on Monday: Jakorian Bennett (knee), Tank Bigsby (toe), Grant Calcaterra (back), Jonathan Jones (shoulder), Makai Lemon (hamstring), Mac McWilliams (groin), John Ojukwu (pectoral), Dameon Pierce (hamstring), Jose Ramirez (hamstring), Shaun Wade (eye/shoulder), Johnny Wilson (knee).
- Rookie tight end Eli Stowers totaled 19 offensive snaps against the Ravens. He totaled 10 plays in 12 personnel packages, according to TruMedia. His usage in two-tight end looks is notable. Blocking is not the rookie’s strength. But the Eagles are using the preseason to develop those skills. “We’re going to ask all of these guys to be productive players in both phases,” Mannion said. “And the preseason is a great opportunity to push these guys, evaluate what they can do, give them things to work on every day in practice, and see them take it to the game. I know Eli has put in a lot of work in improving as a blocker, and in that entire position group there is a huge commitment to be productive in both areas.”
>
Sports
Football gossip: Fernandez, Neto, Casado, Fernandes, Barcola, Mbaye, Kane
Manchester City are faced with an Enzo Fernandez premium, Chelsea winger Pedro Neto has no shortage of potential suitors, and Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes is offered a huge salary increase.
Manchester City will have to pay Chelsea more than £120m to land Argentina midfielder Enzo Fernandez if they try to complete a deal in the final two weeks of the transfer window. (Telegraph – subscription required), external
Chelsea want close to £100m if they are to sell Portugal winger Pedro Neto, 26, this summer with Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal linked with a move. (Mail – subscription required), external
Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham are all also interested in Neto, who joined Chelsea for £54m from Wolves in 2024. (Metro), external
Manchester United have been offered the chance to sign Spain midfielder Marc Casado, 22, who Barcelona have put up for sale. (Sport – in Spanish), external
Despite Manchester United‘s reluctance to sell, Galatasaray have offered Portugal midfielder Bruno Fernandes £18.3m per season – double his current salary – to tempt him away from Old Trafford. (Telegraph – subscription required) , external
Liverpool are still keen to sign Paris St-Germain duo Bradley Barcola, 23, and Ibrahim Mbaye, 18, with a combined fee of £155m being mooted for the France winger and Senegal forward. (Teamtalk), external
Bayern Munich are confident of agreeing a new deal with England forward Harry Kane, 33, who is entering the final year of his contract. (Bild – in German), external
Como have made an offer to take Fiorentina and Italy forward Moise Kean, 26, on loan with an obligation to buy in a package worth £25m. (La Gazzetta dello Sport – in Italian), external
Leeds have given Suriname striker Joel Piroe, 27, permission to travel to West Ham for a medical. (Sky Sports), external
AC Milan have agreed a £34m deal to sign Belgium winger Diego Moreira, 22, from Strasbourg. (Corriere dello Sport – in Italian), external
Sao Paulo and West Ham are among the clubs taking an interest in 39-year-old former England forward Jamie Vardy, who is a free agent. (Talksport), external
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
