Connect with us

Sports

Toby Collyer: West Brom in talks over permanent return for Man Utd midfielder

Published

on

Manchester United midfielder Toby Collyer is in talks with West Bromwich Albion about returning to The Hawthorns on a permanent basis.

Collyer has been part of Michael Carrick’s squad during pre-season and featured in the second half of last week’s draw with Leeds United at Croke Park as Mason Mount was unavailable because of injury.

However, it had been anticipated all summer that Collyer would eventually leave Old Trafford.

Talks are said to be at an early stage.

Collyer joined West Brom on loan last summer but returned to United in January after making 12 appearances including three starts.

The 22-year-old then joined Hull City after recovering from a calf injury, but only made five appearances after suffering more fitness issues.

Hull were thought to be keen on bringing Collyer back to the club following their promotion to the Premier League but a deal is yet to materialise.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move

Published

on

Spain midfielder Rodri said it is his “dream” to play for Barcelona after he arrived in the city to complete his move from Manchester City.

Barcelona have agreed to pay City about £65m, with the 30-year-old to sign a four-year contract with the La Liga champions.

“I’m very happy to have arrived. The last few days have been intense, but I’m glad everything has been sorted out. Of course, playing for FC Barcelona is a dream,” Rodri told journalists at the airport on Monday.

“I can’t wait to be with my team-mates, many of whom I already know from the national team. It’s time to get to work and give my very best.”

Rodri added that he is aiming to win “the Champions League and everything else that comes our way” with Barca.

The 2024 Ballon d’Or winner made 298 appearances across seven trophy-laden seasons at City after joining them from Atletico Madrid in 2019 for a then club record £62.8m.

He missed much of the 2024-25 campaign after sustaining a serious knee injury, and parts of last season were disrupted by a hamstring issue.

However, he was back to his best at the World Cup this summer, leading Spain to their second title and being named player of the tournament.

Rodri leaves City having won 12 major honours, including four Premier League titles, two FA Cups, three EFL Cups and the Champions League in 2022-23.

Last week, City rejected Barca’s opening offer of £38.5m for Rodri, who was set to enter the final year of his contract at Etihad Stadium.

It had looked like Real Madrid would be his next destination but La Liga rivals Barcelona stepped up their efforts to complete the signing in recent days.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Cliftonville FC: Members vote in favour of TIG takeover

Published

on

The future of Cliftonville appears settled as members have voted in favour of a takeover by the Toronto Investment Group [TIG] following a long-running saga.

It appeared a deal was close to being completed last year when then Cliftonville chairman Kieran Harding was given permission by members to enter negotiations, but would later put a pause on those talks which led to TIG taking a step back.

The door appeared to be shut in January when TIG took their offer off the table, but the issue resurfaced when members voted in a June EGM to authorise the club’s management committee to enter formal negotiations with TIG.

It came down to a vote at Monday’s latest with a 75% majority required to back the resolution tabled by current chairman Kevin Crossan and members backed the £3million takeover with 81% in favour, which will move the ownership of the club to TIG.

“At this evening’s Extraordinary General Meeting of Cliftonville FC, members of the club voted in favour of a special resolution authorising the board of directors to complete an investment agreement with the Toronto Investment Group,” read a club statement.

“We thank all of our members for their attendance at tonight’s meeting, for their attentive examination of the transaction structure presented by the club’s legal representatives and for participating in the historic poll that has shaped the future of Ireland’s oldest football club.

“We look forward to a long and prosperous association with Drew Green, John Muffolini, Ron Davidson and Conor Devine, and extend sincere gratitude for the professionalism and commitment they have demonstrated throughout this process.”

The Canadian consortium has vowed to provide transfer funds for Jim Magilton’s side that has won its opening two games of the league season, while moving the club to a full-time model with stadium redevelopment also proposed.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

LIV Golf to end season early to focus ‘on next chapter’

Published

on

LIV Golf has cancelled its Team Championships in Michigan after weeks of speculation, saying it needs to focus on “building its next chapter”.

It had been widely expected that the event from 27 to 30 August would not happen, as players including Tyrrell Hatton entered the British Masters over the same dates and tickets were no longer being sold.

However, confirmation came on Monday with a statement from LIV Golf outlining changes to the schedule, meaning this week’s event in Indianapolis will be the last of the season and double up as a team competition.

The breakaway league has faced an uncertain future since Saudi Arabia withdrew its financial backing in April.

LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil, who recently said new investors had been secured, explained: “By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands.

“We are reimagining LIV Golf as a fundamentally new league owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience built for the markets where the game is growing fastest across the globe and the support of world-class partners.

“Professional golf is more unified today than at any point since we launched, creating a genuine opportunity to grow the game together.

“Indianapolis will be a fitting finale for the league as fans have known it and the starting point for what we believe it can become.”

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.