Connect with us

Sports

Sunderland sign left-back Dayann Methalie from Toulouse in €30m deal

Published

on

Sunderland have completed the signing of left-back Dayann Methalie from Toulouse.

The 20-year-old left-back has joined the club in a deal worth €28million (£23.9m; £32.4m) plus €2m (£1.7m; $2.3m) in add-ons.

Methalie, a France under-21 international, has signed a long-term deal and becomes the club’s second signing of the summer transfer window, following the acquisition of Thomas Meunier in July.

After completing the move, Methalie, who will wear the No 6 shirt, told Sunderland’s website: “I’m really excited to be here and can’t wait to pull on a Sunderland shirt for the first time.

“This is a brilliant time to join the club. I followed Sunderland’s progress last season and it was incredible to see the team finish seventh and qualify for the Europa League.

“When I heard about the opportunity to come here, it was an easy decision. I’m really excited to play in the Premier League and Europa League and to experience that with the Sunderland fans.

“I know how ambitious the club is, and I want to help the team continue to progress and give the supporters plenty to be proud of.”

Methalie joined Toulouse’s academy in 2014, and in the summer of 2025, he was promoted to the club’s first team.

After making his Ligue 1 debut in August 2025, he ended the 2025-26 campaign with 30 first-team appearances, scoring two goals and providing two assists.

The six-foot-two-inch-tall player was often deployed at left-wing back in former coach Carles Martinez’s 3-4-3 formation. The Spaniard replaced Kasper Hjulmand as Bayer Leverkusen head coach in June.

Methalie has represented France at under-19, under-20 and under-21 levels. His last appearance for France’s under-21 side came against the Faroe Islands in November 2025, in a team that featured the likes of Eli Junior Kroupi, Mathys Tel, Leny Yoro, Jeremy Jacquet and Lesley Ugochukwu.

Sunderland begin their Premier League campaign against Ipswich Town on Saturday.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Liverpool: Andoni Iraola says he needs more wingers at the club

Published

on

Liverpool boss Andoni Iraola believes his side do not have enough wingers for the start of the season – but is confident they will find a solution before the end of the transfer window.

Liverpool had a £50m bid for Brighton’s Yankuba Minteh rejected earlier this week and have explored the possibility of a move for Paris St-Germain’s Ibrahim Mbaye.

PSG’s Bradley Barcola remains Liverpool‘s main target as they look to strengthen in the wide attacking areas before the transfer window concludes.

“As a manager, this is an easy one for me. I wanted the players for the first day on 13 July – everyone here and all the positions doubled with top-level players,” said Iraola when asked about the transfer window.

“But you understand how the competition works, that (the) market is open and you start the competition. We have to adapt as coaches to this situation.

“I hate these two weeks or these 10 days that we have because there is a lot of uncertainty – but not in Liverpool, everywhere. But we have to adapt.”

Since Iraola replaced Arne Slot as Liverpool head coach, the Reds have signed Victor Munoz for £34.5m and Ronald Araujo on loan from Barcelona.

Jeremy Jacquet, the French centre-half, also arrived from Rennes in a deal worth £60m, but that was agreed back in January.

In terms of outgoings, Mohamed Salah, Andy Robertson and Ibrahima Konate all left the club over the summer while Curtis Jones is in Italy to complete a £30m move to Inter Milan.

Iraola added: “You are asking me what we need – there are certain situations that for me are clear – especially now on the wing because we don’t have enough players specific to play in those positions.

“And then in other positions, I think we have to be open-minded in the market to see situations that honestly can improve our team.

“It’s not about signing because we need a player here. No, it’s about improving the squad. And we have very good players already here, so to improve our very good players, you need like a specific level of player, yes.”

In a separate interview with Jamie Carragher on Sky Sports, he said: “We will definitely sign some players. Some deals you have to wait until the end. But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1. Because it is true that we are still quite thin.”

It’s not the first time that Iraola has said words to that effect, having echoed similar sentiments during Liverpool‘s pre-season tour in the USA when discussing Liverpool‘s defensive options, and internally the belief at Anfield is that it will be a busy end to the window for Liverpool

On Jones’ move to Inter Milan, Iraola said: “With Curtis, you know. I think it’s still not official but there is an ongoing situation. I understood with Curtis. I talked to him. I think in the first or second training session we talked.

“I value him a lot as a player. He loved this club – it was very clear since the beginning for me – but I understood that probably the outcome was going to be what it has been at the end.

“I’ve never hid it – for me Curtis is a very good player. A very, very good player, but I understood straight away when he talked to me about his situation. It was a situation that could happen and it looks like it is going to happen.”

>

Continue Reading

Sports

First Test, England v Pakistan – Highlights day three – Headingley

Published

on

In his first match since returning as England captain, Joe Root guides his England side to a huge win as they bowl Pakistan out for 135 on day three of the opening Test, securing victory by an innings and 103 runs at Headingley to take 1-0 lead in the three-match series.

READ MORE: New Root era begins with huge win over Pakistan

Available to UK users only.

>

Continue Reading

Sports

Hockey World Cup: Ireland hit Malaysia for seven in Wavre

Published

on

Tumilty said it will be “nice to get a day’s rest and get away from hockey for a few hours” but Sunday’s game against France is crucial for a number of reasons.

The two countries have been swapping places in the world rankings with each result.

Ireland moved back ahead of the French into ninth place and are guaranteed to finish ahead of them at the tournament to earn further points.

A head-to-head victory would also help secure a position that will be key moving forward.

At next year’s EuroHockey championships in London the top six European countries in the world rankings will be seeded and guaranteed a place in the quarter-finals which almost certainly will eventually secure a place in the Olympic qualifiers for LA28.

The countries ranked seven through 12 will have to play-off for the final two places in the last eight.

It is that crucial sixth place that Ireland and France are battling for with the world rankings at the end of the World Cup being used to decide the seedings for EuroHockey.

“I think that will be the motivation for both sides. I know that John-John Dohmen is talking about the rebuilding and building for the future with France, which I fully understand,” said Tumilty.

“But I know Ireland-France games are always competitive. They’re always physical.

“There’ll be an edge to the game on Sunday with probably so much on the line.

“Only one thing that’s important, and that’s winning.”

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.