Sports
US Open 2026: Jannik Sinner withdraws from Flushing Meadows event with a knee injury
World number one Jannik Sinner has pulled out of the upcoming US Open with a knee injury.
The 25-year-old Italian has not played competitively since winning the Wimbledon title in July.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said.
“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.
“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart.”
More to follow.
>
Sports
Liam Delap: Where next for Chelsea striker and can he bounce back?
As reported on Wednesday, Delap lost his number nine shirt to Joao Pedro, who largely excelled at his expense last season after joining from Brighton in the same transfer window.
It followed the Englishman’s move to a group of around 12 players who train separately, albeit alongside new manager Xabi Alonso’s first-team squad, at their Cobham base.
For Alonso, the decision is understandable given the difficulties of working with a squad of around 40 players while preparing for his first competitive match at Fulham in the Premier League on Monday.
However, it was a blow to those players who knew their futures were uncertain, but had previously remained involved with the main training group.
The new arrangement, though, is designed to keep those players close to the first-team squad. Chelsea insist the system is fluid, pointing to new signings Jordan Henderson and Welbeck building fitness in the second group despite both being part of Alonso’s plans.
Chelsea were among the clubs to use a so-called “bomb squad” last season, effectively isolating a group of players that included Raheem Sterling and Disasi. Those players trained on a separate pitch, in a different area of the training ground and at a different time from the first team.
Several from that group publicly made negative comments about their treatment, while the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA), the players’ union, warned Chelsea about the practice.
The approach has since been outlawed by Fifa.
Chelsea also said their decision to keep the current group close to the first team, using the same gym, changing facilities and dining areas, reflects a period of reflection on what had previously gone wrong.
The club are keen to address wider cultural issues that some sources have previously described as creating a “soulless” or “transactional” atmosphere behind the scenes.
Delap is not the only player facing an uncertain future. Also in the secondary group are Senegal striker Nicolas Jackson and defender Tosin Adarabioyo.
Tosin has also lost his number four shirt to new midfield signing Valentin Barco.
>
Sports
Aston Villa: Ollie Watkins could leave Villa before transfer deadline
Striker Ollie Watkins could continue the Aston Villa exodus with boss Unai Emery unable to guarantee he will stay.
The England international is wanted by Saudi club Al-Hilal, with Emery confirming offers have been made.
Ezri Konsa is moving to Arsenal for £51m while Morgan Rogers joined Chelsea for a record £117m, with Youri Tielemans and Lucas Digne also leaving this summer.
Emery wants to keep Watkins but admits the 30-year-old could leave Villa Park.
“We have an issue with him, it’s clear. He is our player. We have had offers for him,” said Emery.
“I don’t want to sell him but it can change because if it’s a good option for him and the club and I can replace him in the squad, this is the routine we have and we did before with the players who are leaving.
“With Ollie, he is here, for me he is a fantastic striker, we have always believed in him.
“Now he is our player, there are 10 days more or less to finish the transfer window, we will see what happens, I’m happy with him, if he is staying with us he will continue playing his level.
“If he leaving it’s because it is good for three ways, one is him, another is the club and another is the team.”
Watkins has scored 108 goals for Villa since joining from Brentford for £28m in 2020 and is the club’s record Premier League scorer.
If Watkins and goalkeeper Emi Martinez leave, VIlla will have sold six of the starting XI which won the Europa League two months ago.
Martinez’s move to Juventus collapsed with the clubs unable to agree a fee while Villa signed Japan international Zion Suzuki from Parma for £30m as their new No.1.
The Argentina international will not be in the squad for Sunday’s Premier League opener at Brighton because he has only had one training session after returning from a post-World Cup break.
Emery added: “We have two excellent goalkeepers, of course we signed Suzuki not for the future but for now. He showed his capacity to get his performance to our level. He will need to adapt to us but he is playing at this level.
“Martinez transmitted to us the possibility to have another challenge in his career.
“Even last year, he was thinking in case he can have one possibility to change for his challenges.
“He didn’t do it last year and he performed fantastic with us. This year, again, he transmitted us the possibility to have another challenge and we decided to sign Suzuki because I think he’s a fantastic goalkeeper.”
>
Sports
Dutch Grand Prix: Kim Antonelli leads McLaren’s Lando Norris in first practice
If so, it still leaves Honda some way behind the performance of the best engines – as the company itself admits – but it is a step forward from the first iteration of their power-unit Aston Martin have used until now.
Signs Honda are on the right track are what Alonso has been looking for as he ponders whether to stay in the sport beyond the end of the season.
Audi’s Nico Hulkenberg was seventh, the quickest driver not to use the soft tyres, with Alpine’s Pierre Gasly, the second Audi of Gabriel Bortoleto and Racing Bulls’ Arvid Lindblad completing the top 10.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen could manage only 11th fastest, while his team-mate Liam Lawson, promoted from Racing Bulls after regular driver Isack Hadjar broke his wrist while boxing, was 14th.
A number of teams have chassis upgrades, notably Ferrari, who have brought a new floor to this race weekend hoping they can deliver on the potential they showed in Hungary last time, but which frittered away through strategy and operational errors.
At Alpine, only Gasly has the team’s first major upgrade for some time, while McLaren and Aston Martin also have small aerodynamic upgrades – McLaren’s around the rear bodywork and wing, and Aston Martin’s the front wing.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
