Sports
Sheffield United could face points deduction after High Court decision
Saudi Arabian Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad Al Saud bought 50% of Sheffield United in 2013, before acquiring the rest of the club in 2019.
His time in charge was not without controversy, and he only secured the second 50% of the club following a long High Court battle.
When United World – the company through which Prince Abdullah owned the club – sold to CSBL, the story did not end.
The Blades were deducted two points during the 2024-25 season because of missed transfer payments under Prince Abdullah during 2022-23.
CSBL made an initial payment upon close of sale, but the first instalment – due last year – was late and paid only after a statutory demand, and sent on the deadline.
This High Court date came down to another £35m payment – a debt the new owners have not denied is outstanding.
Here is where matters become complicated for the EFL and its regulations.
In June, the shares in the club were transferred from CSBL into a new US-based company – 1919 Partners LLC – which became the “parent company of Sheffield United”, external.
In effect, CSBL no longer had any say in the running of the South Yorkshire club.
Wednesday’s court case was against CSBL, but there remains a clear link to the Blades through the new company.
CSBL was led by Rosen and Eltoukhy, who control Sheffield United through 1919 Partners LLC.
BBC Sport understands neither the EFL nor the Independent Football Regulator (IFR) had been made aware the share transfer was to take place and neither has commented on it.
When approached by the BBC earlier this week, the IFR confirmed it was in contact with the club to ascertain more information.
>
Sports
Michigan signs up Coke, Meijer, Google for first in-stadium advertising at Big House
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Michigan Stadium, which turns 100 next year, is getting ads for the first time in its history.
Coca-Cola, Meijer and Google Gemini will be the first three sponsors to display their logos inside the 107,601-seat Big House, Michigan announced Wednesday. The school released renderings of the sponsors’ ads on the sides of the video board, the wall at the base of the stands and the national championship sign on the south side of the stadium.
“Michigan Stadium is one of the most iconic and cherished venues in all of sports, and we have been deeply intentional about preserving its tradition, character, and identity,” athletic director Warde Manuel said in a release. “As we introduce this partner program, we will do so with care and purpose, ensuring that any brand partner presence is strategic, tasteful, and aligned with the values of the University of Michigan.”
Why college stadiums are the biggest in the world
Tifo Sports
The sponsor logos likely will be integrated into other aspects of the in-stadium experience, including programming on the video board, spokesman Dave Ablauf said. Prior to this season, sponsor logos appearing in the stadium included the Allstate field goal nets, the Gatorade logo on sideline equipment, the Michigan Medicine logo on the injury tent and the Jordan Brand logo on players’ jerseys.
Michigan previously announced it was exploring in-stadium advertising, field logos and jersey patches as a way to generate additional revenue for player compensation. Ohio State recently announced a jersey patch deal with Chase Bank worth around $17 million, and Notre Dame announced a similar deal with SoFi worth up to $20 million per year. Michigan has yet to announce a jersey patch sponsor.
Michigan projects $297 million in athletics revenue and expenses for the 2026-27 fiscal year. The school reported $35.6 million in corporate sponsorships, advertising and licensing on its 2025 NCAA financial report. That number ranked third nationally behind No. 1 Texas ($52 million) and No. 2 Ohio State ($42.8 million).
Michigan reported $175.3 million in football revenue for 2024-25, joining Notre Dame and Texas as the only schools at more than $170 million. No figures were available for the financial impact of the in-stadium advertising, Ablauf said.
— Matt Baker contributed to this report.
>
Sports
Arsenal working to complete signings of Manchester United’s James Scanlon, Habeeb Ogunneye
Arsenal are working to complete the signings of Manchester United academy players James Scanlon and Habeeb Ogunneye.
The north London club is confident of finalising deals for both Scanlon, a 19-year-old winger, and 20-year-old right-back Ogunneye.
Scanlon is a Gibraltar international, making 24 appearances and scoring five goals since his debut against Lithuania in March 2024. The former Derby County academy product, who signed for United in 2023, qualifies to represent the British territory through his mother Gabriella, a former Gibraltarian athlete.
Scanlon spent the second half of last season on loan at League Two outfit Swindon Town, scoring once in six appearances.
Meanwhile, Ogunneye made 21 loan appearances for Newport County last season under then-manager Dave Hughes, a former under-21s assistant coach at United, before being recalled in January.
The London-born England under-17 international was included in United’s first-team matchday squad as an unused substitute on nine occasions during the 2023-24 campaign under Erik ten Hag.
Both Scanlon and Ogunneye were part of United’s successful under-18s campaign that season, winning the U18 Premier League National title and the U18 Premier League Cup, as well as finishing as regional league champions.
Arsenal’s academy focus
Analysis by Arsenal correspondent James McNicholas
These moves would strengthen Arsenal’s under-21 options. The Premier League champions are conscious of the need to have a competitive, winning team at academy level — and to develop prospects who, if they don’t become first-team players, may generate revenue through moving elsewhere.
The club have already recruited a number of promising academy players this summer: defender Elijah Upson joined after leaving Tottenham, and attackers Mylo Bernard and Vincent Joseph have agreed to join from Crystal Palace and Liverpool respectively.
Arsenal have also agreed a deal for 16-year-old Axel Donczew, Cardiff City’s youngest ever first-team player.
>
Sports
Giants trade guard Daniel Faalele to the Jaguars for late 2027 pick: Source
The New York Giants agreed Wednesday to trade backup offensive lineman Daniel Faalele to the Jacksonville Jaguars for a late-round 2027 NFL Draft pick, according to a league source with knowledge of the deal but not authorized to speak publicly.
Just a couple of months ago, a trade like this would have been tough to predict. There was a moment during the spring when it looked like Faalele was in line to start at right guard for the Giants. That wasn’t a particularly appealing scenario based on Faalele’s shaky play while starting every game over the past two seasons for coach John Harbaugh’s former team, the Baltimore Ravens.
Well, things can change fast in the NFL. A week after signing Faalele, the Giants traded nose tackle Dexter Lawrence to the Bengals for the 10th pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, which they used on Miami offensive lineman Francis Mauigoa.
Mauigoa was instantly inserted into the starting lineup at right guard, pushing Faalele down the depth chart. Faalele fell so far that he became expendable, culminating in Wednesday’s trade. Jaguars starting right guard Patrick Mekari, another ex-Raven, will miss time after undergoing back surgery, so they had a need for an experienced option like Faalele.
Why did the Giants sign Najee Harris?
Charlotte Carroll
Faalele has been a favorite of Harbaugh’s, following the coach to New York after four years together in Baltimore. Faalele was locked into the second-team offensive line for the first two weeks of training camp before the Giants bumped up rookie left tackle JC Davis to the second team. That shifted Marcus Mbow to second-team right tackle and slid Josh Ezeudu from tackle to guard. Faalele also ceded some second-team reps to Evan Neal in recent practices.
The biggest winner from this trade will likely be ninth-year veteran Aaron Stinnie, who is the only proven backup guard on the roster. With Mbow, Davis and a backup center (Lucas Patrick or Bryan Hudson) all locks to make the roster, Neal or Ezeudu would need to outplay Stinnie to earn a roster spot unless the Giants carry 10 offensive linemen. Ezeudu has played far more second-team reps than Neal in camp, and his guard/tackle flexibility offers more value as a backup.
The Giants signed Faalele to a one-year, $1.4 million minimum contract with $687,5000 guaranteed. The Giants will be left with only $187,500 in dead money from his signing bonus, since the Jaguars inherit the $500,000 of his base salary that was guaranteed.
The Giants only had five picks in the 2027 draft before this trade because they dealt their fourth-round pick to move up for wide receiver Malachi Fields this year, and they traded their seventh-round pick as part of the deal that sent tight end Darren Waller to the Dolphins last offseason.
>
-
movies3 months agoSearch For Canadian TV Actor Stewart McLean Now Homicide Investigation
-
Fashion9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Fashion9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Fashion9 years agoModel Jocelyn Chew’s Instagram is the best vacation you’ve ever had
-
Fashion9 years agoEmily Ratajkowski channels back-to-school style
-
Fashion9 years ago9 Celebrities who have spoken out about being photoshopped
-
Fashion9 years agoYour comprehensive guide to this fall’s biggest trends
-
Fashion9 years agoA photo diary of the nightlife scene from LA To Ibiza
