Connect with us

Entertainment

Reacher Season 4 Tops Streaming Chart

Published

on

HBO Max and Netflix typically dominate the Samba weekly Wrap Report streaming chart, so it’s a big deal when another streaming player tops the chart. It’s an even bigger deal when that streaming player knocks off one of the biggest shows on TV.

That’s the case this week as “Reacher,” Amazon Prime Video’s action series, tops the chart as it kicks off its fourth season. In typical Prime Video fashion, the streamer dropped the first three episodes of the season at once, building some big late-summer buzz.

“Reacher’s” rise is particularly noteworthy because the series bests “House of the Dragon” on HBO Max, which slides to second this week. Of course, “House of the Dragon” didn’t air a new episode in the time covered by this week’s chart, as the “Game of Thrones” spinoff officially wrapped its third season back on Aug. 9. But we’ve seen many HBO Max series top the chart even after their season finales, so “Reacher” deserves credit here.

Samba’s top streaming shows for the week of Aug. 10-16

The Wrap Report provides an exclusive first look at the most-watched movies and TV series from the past week across both streaming and linear television, sourced from viewership trends collected from Samba’s panel of more than 3 million households, balanced to the U.S. Census.

We move from the last episode of “House of the Dragon” to “The Last House,” a completely unrelated Netflix sci-fi horror film. The flick finds a family of four inexplicably trapped in their home as they try to understand what forces are keeping them stuck there.

“Special Ops: Lioness” returned for its third season on Paramount+ last week and the military thriller finds itself in fourth place this week. 

Meanwhile, Apple TV+’s biggest hit, “Ted Lasso” has returned for its unexpected fourth season. The show landed fifth this week.

Season three of the Netflix teen drama “My Life with the Walter Boys” is sixth this week. It’s followed by a chart debut of an older title: “In the Land of Saints and Sinners,” a 2023 action film starring Liam Neeson, cracks the Top 10 after being added to the Netflix library.

It’s a double shot of Apple TV+ in eighth and ninth place, starting with the crime thriller “Lucky” approaching its finale. The show has been a steady chart presence for most of its 7-episode run. That’s followed by the third season of the sci-fi series “Silo,” which lands in ninth. 

Closing us out is “Don’t Say Good Luck.” The high school musical drama lands in tenth place in its first week on the chart.

Samba’s top linear programs for the week of Aug. 10-16

Meanwhile, linear’s slow summer continues this week. “America’s Got Talent” continues a summer of dominance, while the rest of the chart is nothing but the classics.

“Wheel of Fortune” claims four spots this week, while “Jeopardy!” takes two. They are joined by “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” “Celebrity Family Feud,” and “American Ninja Warrior.”

>

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Daveed Diggs on HIs Emmy Nominated Song From ‘The Boys’

Published

on

When actor and rapper Daveed Diggs was cast as superhero preacher Oh Father for the fifth and final season of Prime Video series “The Boys,” he didn’t think his musical skills would be called on for the gig. But the show’s composer, Christopher Lennertz, had other ideas.

“When they announced that he was going to be in the show, I immediately texted our showrunner, Eric (Kripke), and said, ‘We need to have him do a musical number.’” Lennertz said. “And he was like, ‘I don’t know. That wasn’t part of the plan. Let me think about it.’”

Kripke thought about it for a few months before bringing it up to Diggs. “He very apologetically approached me and was like, ‘You can say no, but we do these musical numbers sometimes. Would you be interested in doing one?’” said Diggs, who won a Tony and a Grammy for his performance in “Hamilton.” “I really don’t do stuff like that post-‘Hamilton,’ but I just loved the way it fit into the show, so I said, ‘OK, but I have to be involved in the writing.’”

After a false start on a contemporary hip-hop song, Diggs and Lennertz collaborated on what turned into the Emmy-nominated “Raise Him Up,” a roaring funk-gospel number sung by Oh Father as he struts across a glitzy altar surrounded by scantily clad dancers dressed as angels. The style is pure church but the message is not, with Oh Father proclaiming that the psychopathic superhero leader Homelander (Antony Starr) is, in fact, God: “Now the world’s too dark for a Jew in robes and sandals/I’ll take a god who lasers vandals,” run the opening lines.

Christopher Lennertz and Daveed Diggs
“Raise Him Up” songwriters Christopher Lennertz and Daveed Diggs (Prime Video)

“Once we got going, it just got down to the business of ‘How far can we take it?’” Lennertz said. “And Eric’s notes are usually of the variety that’s like, ‘Great, can you make it even crazier?’”

It wasn’t hard for the songwriters to find inspiration. “Eric told me about stuff they were reading in the writers’ room about the trajectory of the religious right,” Diggs added, “about the very intentional co-opting of religion in the United States, and places of worship being turned into places of politics. It’s gotten so ubiquitous at this point that we don’t even notice it most of the time. It just feels normal.”

“What I like about the song is that you really have to think about it to realize that ‘We’ve got a God who’s strong and just an American like us’ is an insane thing to say.”

He laughed. “If it weren’t so specifically about American politics, it would’ve felt like a shark jump. But it never does, because the more they push it over time, the closer our political system has come to what they’re talking about. It’s not really a funhouse mirror. It’s just a mirror.”

Lennertz agreed. “It was probably written a full year before the (2024) election and filmed half a year before the election,” he said. “So we didn’t know that there was going to be a meme with a politician pretending to heal a sick person with glowing lights. We certainly didn’t know that there was going to be a giant life-sized golden statue on the lawn of a resort when we made a giant golden Homelander statue that looks just like it.”

“You’re like, ‘Wait, how did you know?’ But we didn’t know. We just were guessing, partly because that’s the way it always works with people who are corrupt and trying to pull a fast one.”

“That’s the point of the song, but it’s also the point of the series. The whole concept of ‘The Boys’ from Episode 1 was, you think you’re seeing what you know and love about superheroes, and then slowly you’re going to realize that this is not Captain America or Wonder Woman. This has all been corrupted by power and greed and money and corporations, just the way everything else gets corrupted like that.”

“So this song is absolutely not making fun of a religion or a deity or a belief system. This song is making fun of corruption and greed and power-hungry people who don’t have anything good or holy or noble in mind.”

This story first appeared in the Down to the Wire: Drama issue of TheWrap’s awards magazine. Read more from the issue here.

Sarah Pidgeon photographed for TheWrap by Roman Koval

>

Continue Reading

movies

WGA Rips LA Mayor Karen Bass For Supporting “False Choice” In Paramount-WBD Merger Tangle

Published

on

The Writers Guild of America has fired back at Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass after she expressed strong support for a settlement in the waylaid Paramount-Warner Bros. Discovery merger.

Bass joined other state and local Democratic officials, including Gov. Gavin Newsom, in expressing support for a settlement of the antitrust lawsuit filed against the $110 billion deal. California Attorney General Rob Bonta, who is leading the action taken by 12 states as well as the WGA, has indicated no willingness to engage in settlement talks. That’s not surprising given the series of legal wins he has notched in the case over the past several weeks, including the setting of the trial date for next March.

“We are disappointed that Mayor Bass has chosen to join Paramount’s pressure campaign on public enforcers, to push through a merger that is being rightfully challenged as illegal and will lead to job losses in the entertainment industry,” the WGA asserted. “Her statement comes on the heels of a county report estimating thousands of jobs will be lost if the merger proceeds.”

Bass made the comments earlier Thursday during a press conference. Appearing with members of her administration, she said, “While there are varying perspectives on the proposed transaction, today we are united around one clear message: It is time for all parties to come to the table. The continued uncertainty is not good for workers, it’s not good for production, and it’s not good for the future of this industry. Too many productions in L.A. are now at a standstill, which means Angelenos are out of a job and they’re not getting paid. As mayor, I cannot stand by and watch as the job security of thousands of hard-working union members is put at risk.”

Paramount CEO David Ellison and other members of his management team have been actively looking at options to move the company out of its longtime home in L.A. Bass spoke up the day after participating in a mayoral debate which lacked any significant discussion of the entertainment business or the pending Paramount-WBD transaction. Also on Wednesday, a report submitted to the L.A. County Board of Supervisors projected that the merger would result in the loss of thousands of jobs. Paramount has promised investors it will deliver $6 billion in cost savings related to the merger, but executives have insisted that layoffs will not be a key method of reaching that target.

“Industry workers deserve a mayor who believes in upholding the law and protecting the working people of Los Angeles, not serving the interests of powerful corporations,” the WGA statement continued. “Paramount has created a false choice for entertainment industry workers: The company argues that enforcing antitrust law hurts us by creating uncertainty, which is of their own making as the company attempts to dominate the industry. We reject the claim that beleaguered industry workers must choose the possibility of a job today, in exchange for the certainty of job losses tomorrow.” 

Bass, reading from prepared comments, insisted her statement is “not about taking sides – this is about fighting for Los Angeles, standing up for our union workers, keeping Paramount here and protecting the future of this industry.”

A settlement, Bass added, must include “meaningful and enforceable commitments” to keep Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery in L.A. as well as maintaining jobs, productions and investments in L.A. and in California.”

>

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jenna Fischer Pretended to Be Connor Storrie’s Publicist

Published

on

Jenna Fischer pretended to be Connor Storrie’s publicist when the “Heated Rivalry” star was getting harried by press at the Actor Awards this year.

While talking to Jesse Tyler Ferguson this week on his podcast “Dinner’s On Me,” Fischer talked about spending time with Storrie at the awards show. When photographers started to encroach and ask for pictures as they were heading out the door, “The Office” alum took it upon herself to keep them at bay.

“You know who I was hanging out with at the SAG Awards [Actor Awards] this year was Connor Storrie,” Fischer said. “And everybody’s wanting to take his picture, and a man came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder and said, ‘Are you his publicist? I’d love to get a photo with him.’ And I said, ‘I’m sorry, he can’t.’ I was like, ‘I need to get him to his car.’ I just full-on pretended to be his publicist.”

She added: “I was like, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I got to – I actually had called his car already. Which was true. I knew he was waiting for his car.”

Storrie presented at the Actor Awards in March. He presented an award alongside “Abbott Elementary” star Janelle James less than 24 hours after hosting “Saturday Night Live.” In an interview with Hello!, Actor Awards showrunner Jon Brockett said including the “Heated Rivalry” star among the presenters was obvious.

“I’m not going to lie, we will be using him on the show,” Brockett said. “Connor’s been a dream to work with. He was great at nominations, he’s so much fun, and he’ll be on ‘SNL’ – and so we’re looking forward to playing around with that a little bit.”

You can watch Fischer’s full interview in the video above.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.