Connect with us

Entertainment

Sophie Cunningham Suggests WNBA Commissioner Job Could Be ‘Open’ Soon

Published

on

Indiana Fever star Sophie Cunningham believes WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert may not hold her position at the top of the women’s basketball league for much longer.

Cunningham, who has become the center of controversy in recent weeks over her divisive stance on transgender athletes’ place in women’s sports, said as much in an interview published Wednesday with USA Today Sports. During her conversation with the outlet, Cunningham expressed her opinion on Engelbert’s future with the WNBA.

“You do have to have a person in power who is bold, who is confident, who wants the best for the players and not maybe for themselves all the time,” Cunningham said. “I do feel like, as a whole, that could be a position that’s maybe open at the end of the year, but that’s not my call.”

“[Engelbert’s] done a lot of good things, but with where our league is trying to go, I feel like you just want someone who also wants that,” Cunningham continued. “That’s just a hard position to be in, in her shoes, us as players ― we always want more, more, more because we see how good it can be, but … that’s up to [NBA commissioner] Adam Silver at the end of the day.”

Engelbert, 61, has served as WNBA commissioner since 2019. While she has steered the league through a massive explosion in popularity in recent years, Engelbert has come under increasing fire from WNBA stars who have expressed their public disapproval of her leadership, including Cunningham and Minnesota Lynx forward Napheesa Collier.

Her Wednesday comments do not mark the first time Cunningham has called out Engelbert. In an October 2025 episode of her podcast, Cunningham spoke on the state of the WNBA at this “pivotal point” in the league’s history.

“There’s millions and millions of new fans, and at the end of the day, she’s worried about her. In all of her statements, it’s like, ‘I got us here’ and ‘I should…’ – Cathy, no one cares,” Cunningham said last year. “Literally, no one cares.”

For her part, Cunningham is no stranger to public backlash. She has been the subject of heavy pushback ever since she touched in an ESPN profile published in late July on the ongoing debate surrounding transgender women’s future in women’s sports leagues.

“I got a lot of negative feedback about me hating trans. And I’m like, ‘I never once said that,’” Cunningham told ESPN. “I think that I am here to extend love. But I also think with that love is truth, being honest. And I want to protect young girls in a locker room, or young girls in sport who shouldn’t have to go against biological men.”

Her comments have inspired political protests outside of Indiana Fever games and gained her the support of certain, conservative political activists, including former collegiate swimmer Riley Gaines, who attended a recent Fever game in support of Cunningham.

>

Continue Reading

movies

‘The Odyssey’ Becomes Highest-Grossing R-Rated Movie Ever

Published

on

It’s official: Universal’s The Odyssey has become the highest-grossing R-rated movie at the global box office with $1.352 billion, unseating Deadpool & Wolverine, which ended its worldwide run in 2024 at $1.33B.

Deadpool & Wolverine star Ryan Reynolds spilled the beans on social media prior to Uni making the record official.

The pic is already director Christopher Nolan’s highest-grossing movie at the worldwide B.O. surpassing his previous high, 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises ($1.085B). The ensemble starring Matt Damon, Anne Hathaway, John Leguziamo, Tom Holland, Jon Bernthal, Zendaya and Charlize Theron is also one of five movies to cross $1B this year; the feature take of Homer’s epic poem is now the second highest-grossing worldwide YTD behind Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: Brand New Day ($2.039B).

Broken out, The Odyssey has made $835.6M overseas and $516.3M stateside through Wednesday.

RELATED: 48 Of The Most Anticipated Movies Of 2026

Additionally, The Odyssey opened to $264.1M global, the biggest over for Nolan ahead of Dark Knight Rises ($249M WW). The pic’s $139.6M opening at the overseas B.O. was also the director’s biggest ever internationally ahead of Oppenheimer and Dark Knight Rises in like-for-like markets.

What’s interesting is that Deadpool & Wolverine still owns the biggest global opening for a R-rated movie with a reported $444.7M as well as stateside ($211.4M). The Odyssey‘s record speaks to the power of legs, and, yes, a long run in Imax.

The Odyssey‘s domestic opening of $123.5M was the third best for Nolan after Dark Knight Rises ($160.8M) and Dark Knight ($158.4M). The movie, which opened July 17 at the North American box office, is entering its sixth weekend of release.

>

Continue Reading

movies

‘Seasons’: Ron Perlman Joins Amazon Horror Film

Published

on

EXCLUSIVE: Ron Perlman (Apple’s Cape Fear) is set for a role alongside Lily James and Jack Reynor in Seasons, Amazon MGM Studios‘ horror film marking the sophomore feature of Companion‘s Drew Hancock.

Character details are being kept under wraps.

Hancock’s script is based on a viral horror short story by Matt & Harrison Query, which first appeared on Reddit and was later adapted into a full-length novel. It’s the story of a husband and wife who buy their dream ranch, only to discover the land is alive with ancient spirits. For the couple, survival will mean submitting to increasingly disturbing rituals with each turn of the season.

21 Laps’ Shawn Levy and Dan Levine are producing alongside Blumhouse Atomic Monster’s James Wan and Michael Clear, 12:01 Films’ Scott Glassgold and Dan Cohen. Judson Scott is executive producing for Blumhouse Atomic Monster, with Alayna Glasthal overseeing for the company.

Currently, Perlman can be seen starring alongside Javier Bardem in Apple TV’s Cape Fear series, exec produced by Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg. Also recently seen on Mr. & Mrs. SmithFallout and Poker Face, he is repped by Independent Artist Group and Link Entertainment.

>

Continue Reading

movies

Netflix Nabs ‘The Headlands House’ Starring Colman Domingo (Exclusive)

Published

on

EXCLUSIVE: Emmy winner Colman Domingo (Euphoria, Michael) stars in The Headlands House, a thriller limited series, which, in a competitive situation, has landed at Netflix for development. From AMC Studios, it is executive produced by Colman Domingo and Raúl Domingo for their Edith Productions and Patrick Moran (The Rainmaker) via his PKM Productions.

The Headlands House is written and executive produced by Cameron B. Dupont (Yellowjackets). In it, a marriage begins to fracture after a gay couple moves into their dream home, only to discover that its prior residents were brutally murdered on the property—and that their own lives may now be in danger, too.

This would mark Domingo’s third series for Netflix where he headlined the 2024 limited series The Madness and also stars in the comedy series The Four Seasons, which has earned him two Emmy nominations for the two seasons to date. Domingo’s relationship with Netflix also spans film, including his Oscar-nominated performance in Rustin, as well as Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, and the upcoming An Innocent Girl.

Domingo also has a relationship with AMC Global Media, most notably, starring as Victor Strand on Fear the Walking Dead, the second series in AMC’s Walking Dead Universe, which ran for eight seasons from 2015-2023. It is that relationship and the first-look deal Edith Productions has there, that led to AMC Studios’ involvement in the project.

The Headlands House signals an expansion into third-party production for AMC Studios, which AMC Global Media CEO Kristin Dolan alluded to on the company’s most recent earnings call.

“In addition to creating programming for our own platforms, our studio team is actively developing projects with a range of leading distributors,” she said. “Producing for others is a natural offshoot of our internal development process.”

AMC Studios previously developed and produced Apple TV’s Silo before Apple Studios took over the big-budget sci-fi drama after Season 1.

From co-founder and CEO Colman Domingo and co-founder and president Raúl Domingo, Edith has produced Sing Sing, It’s What’s Inside, Dead Man’s Wire, the animated short film New Moon, North Star, When My Sleeping Dragon Woke, Bottomless Brunch at Colman’s and Season 1 of You are Here for AMC Networks. Colman Domingo is repped by WME, Liebman Entertainment and Schreck Rose Dapello Adams Berlin & Dunham.

Moran executive produces the USA Network series The Rainmaker and has Genuine Fraud, starring The Summer I Turned Pretty‘s Rain Spencer, and Rich AF, in development at Amazon under his first-look deal there, and Just One Day, starring Kathryn Newton, in the works at Hulu.

Dupont is managed by Echo Lake Entertainment and also repped by Ryan & Jesse Nord of The Nord Group.

>

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.